Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I thought I check before I dive into this. Any ideas on the best formatting for PDFs on the Pre? I'm thinking optimizing for landscape mode is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post
    I thought I check before I dive into this. Any ideas on the best formatting for PDFs on the Pre? I'm thinking optimizing for landscape mode is the way to go.
    If you are the only consumer, that is fine. But, unless I missed something, landscape mode isn't enabled by default.

It also depends entirely on the type of data displayed. PDFs are poor for variable sized devices. They emulate printed paper. Paper is generally far bigger than the Pre screen. So I would say the best formatting for something on the Pre is a web format that isn't PDF.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Thanks. WebOS has a tweak to enable PDF landscape. I'm aiming for getting newspaper and magazines (mostly text) on the Pre. Calibre is a great tool I've been using for my Sony Reader. I think it's possible to set up a conversion using the Pre's dimensions. That way text would flow naturally instead of having to constantly scroll from side to side.
    Have been using pdf for ebooks for several weeks. Download file in .rtf or .txt in OpenOffice, format > Page to 2.5 X 2.5 with .1 margins, Edit > Select all, changed font to Arial Bold & 8 pt. Transfered the file to Pre using USB mode. I've only done this in portrait as Quick Install's pdf landscape patch does not allow me to open pdf (probably something I'm doing). This is a work around, the three main issues are: 1. The header/footer info eats up 1/3 of the page (these might go away with a working landscape mode). 2. Anything in the lower notification area partially occludes the bottom line of text on each page. 3. Must know about what page number you are on (displayed at bottom) so you can return if the pdf app is closed for any reason - it won't remember. For me the text is very readable and Pre easy to use. Can't wait for a real ebook reader such as EBook-Reader - WebOS Internals.