Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I usually wait for the restart each time, since I think that's what's recommended in the QI thread. With Preware, it's just a single restart after they're all on.
    I've not had an issue, I've hammered my Pre with patches quite a few times, on quite a few different OS versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I've not had an issue, I've hammered my Pre with patches quite a few times, on quite a few different OS versions.
    I'm scurred.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Guys, I have reapplied my patches through preware, three times now. All three times, I have installed all the patches I want, then restarted the phone once. Never had a bit of problems.
    dont know where to go from here ....error installing [4]..... starts goes to ok view cancel can push ok or view both bring error
    I installed Preware with WOSQI. If there is another way I didn't come across it. As Jason has stated, some things can't be done with Preware, like this screenshot. I haven't found a theme I like, but I do like simply changing the dialer background to a different color than moss green.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is there a homebrew app that just does the Luna GUI restart? That'd be useful when installing patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I read that with Preware, you can install patches over the air (from within the phone, without needing a computer). However, Preware (v0.9.2) shows "Available Patches" greyed out.

Do I need to install the autopatch feed first then, to be able to access the patches from within Preware?
    Just bumping up this question, hopefully someone can answer (not at home yet, can't try it myself).
    Is there a homebrew app that just does the Luna GUI restart? That'd be useful when installing patches.
    Luna Manager can.

Just bumping up this question, hopefully someone can answer (not at home yet, can't try it myself).
    The new version includes patches by default. See rwhitby's stickey thread in the webos-patches forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    i think the best , fast and easy way to install the patchs is preware and u have to install em 1 by 1 and luna restart or restart the phone 1 by one!
    With Preware, you can install as many patches as you want at once, and then restart Luna (using the Luna Manager application, but a future version of Preware will have this built in) just once after all patches are installed.

Don't let anyone tell you that you have to restart after each patch - that is simply not true. The webos-internals.org autopatch technology means that this is not required.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by enm2307 View Post
    i dont know if this is becasue I installed patches through preware but just recently my phone bricked. I use to install patches through quickinstall and had absolutely no problem, i then found out about preware and lasted about a day before my phone just went out of control.

at first i did a couple of restarts then it was fin, but then my phone shut off and it keeps on going offline every 35 seconds, it will not let me sign on to my account.. weird.
    If your phone is recoverable with the webOS Doctor, then it was never bricked. Bricked refers to a phone which cannot be recovered by software means.

It is far more likely that the erroneous operation (or non responsiveness) of your phone was caused by an incorrect patch, rather than the mechanism used to install the patch.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Jason was saying there are things WebOS QI can do Preware can't, though I'm not entirely sure what those things are.
    Any patch which can be done in one tool can be created as a patch for the other tool. WebOS Quick Install has the ability to input user information as part of the process for a number of tweaks.

Preware currently has 67 patches listed in the latest version, and since the task of patch creation is undertaken by many developers (rather than one), then I would expect that number will grow quite rapidly.

Note that all those 67 patches in Preware have descriptions, links to the patch homepage and patch maintainer contact information, and screen shots which show exactly what the patch modifies.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/09/2009 at 05:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrok View Post
    Your best bet with Preware is to restart after each patch, not install a bunch of patches and then restart.
    That is not the case.

-- Rod
    Anyone who has previously installed patches with Preware must read this thread to transition to the new webos-patches feed available in the new version of Preware:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ches-feed.html

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/09/2009 at 06:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    This thread answers some of the questions below and did not come up in a search but hope it helps http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-tweaks-2.html

Hello all, I could use some help here. Is there any difference if I install patches and tweaks via preware vs quick install? and if so what is the difference? I have some tweaks on my phone which I installed using quick install 2.72 but when I go to preware it doesnt recognize the changes on my phone and I can even download and install the same ones via preware I thought that i read that they were now backwards compatible with one another and I am wondering which is the safest and best way to install tweaks and patches?

I'd hate to be on the go and an update come out and not be able to remove my current tweaks due to them being installed via quick install.

[ADD] I also see that there is now an emergency patch recoveryt hat removes all patches automatically, can this still be used even if I have tweaks installed via quick install v2.72 and via preware?
    Last edited by chichi; 10/09/2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: [ADD]
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have the exact same questions. It seems as though Preware would be the most convenient due to the fact that it is an app on the phone that is readily available at all times. It seems that Preware is almost to the point where in some aspects WebOS Quick Install is not needed. Am I going to get rid of QIno, but Im sure you see where Im going with this. Most of the time when I have to do an update or want to put something on the phone, Im at work, which has government computers, which in itself is a whole nut role of rules and what I can do on it. Im lucky to get away with this.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Well one real big difference is that preware you only have to install the program to your phone then you can add whatever patch you want without reconnecting to your comp. every time where as QI you have to connect to the usb and load them that way. So I say preware all the way!
    Emergency Patch Recovery removed all twesks installed via Preware EXCEPT the virtual keyboard. Now, even though I have the virtual keyboard still on my phone it acts like I should be able to install it...but it doesn't let me. How can I remove it so I can reinstall it now?
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    Emergency Patch Recovery removed all twesks installed via Preware EXCEPT the virtual keyboard. Now, even though I have the virtual keyboard still on my phone it acts like I should be able to install it...but it doesn't let me. How can I remove it so I can reinstall it now?
    In preware go to installed packages then look for VK. it will then allow you to uninstall...
    I seem to be in the exact same situation.

- ran Emergency Patch Recovery and removed patches
    - Virtual Keyboard is still functioning, even after restart
    - Preware does not have VK in Installed Packages

- Preware says that VK is available to install
    - getting error when trying to install VK

I searched the forums and didn't find much on how to resolve this since I'm going to need the option to remove VK before the next update comes out.

I do see that the WebOS Repair Tool may be an option, but it's only coded to work up to 1.2.0, so I guess I'll have to wait until it supports 1.2.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    I seem to be in the exact same situation.

- ran Emergency Patch Recovery and removed patches
    - Virtual Keyboard is still functioning, even after restart
    - Preware does not have VK in Installed Packages

- Preware says that VK is available to install
    - getting error when trying to install VK

I searched the forums and didn't find much on how to resolve this since I'm going to need the option to remove VK before the next update comes out.

I do see that the WebOS Repair Tool may be an option, but it's only coded to work up to 1.2.0, so I guess I'll have to wait until it supports 1.2.1.
    This is exactly the same boat I am in. I even checked several patches to make sure EPR removed them. When 4 had been removed I assumed they all had been removd. Guess I could webdoctor it. Has the doctor for 1.2.1 been released yet?
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Has the doctor for 1.2.1 been released yet?
    No, but the 1.2.0 works just fine, you just have to do the update to 1.2.1 after you reload to 1.2.0. Takes an extra 10 minutes or so (depending upon your download speed).

Just did this the other night with no problems whatsoever.