Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    search the homebrew forum folks! Installing Preware is as easy as Filecoaster. AND if you are able to install WOSQI and Preware, uninstalling tweaks/patches are even easier. Thanks to all the homebrew folks out there, making the Pre more than usable is now very simple. My 12-yr-old daughter has been doing tweaks and themes as if she were the expert. GO FOR IT!!!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Very encouraging, thanks! Is there anything Filecoaster can do that Preware can't do?
    Nope. Preware has a lot more capabilities with patches and services. Filecoaster is just an app browser.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    How does Preload fit into the picture?
    thanks for the info. i installed preware and have already installed and removed themes and added the virtual keyboard. im sure there is more it can do but i'll leave it at that for now
    Did anyone know if you didn't remove the patches before the automatic WebOs update from Palm, what will happen? Can you remove it after the update then reinstall it?

Also, before the Palm O/S update, do I need to remove only the patches, like virtual keyboard, or do I need to remove the whole preware and webos quick installer V2.7.2(now)?

Thank you.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Well I've managed to install Preware and it wasn't hard at all!

Where are the tweaks that let you use email in landscape, LED notification, change the calendar default view, etc.? I see the patch for the virtual keyboard under "Available Patches" but that's the only one. It looks like "available applications" are just the applications that are in filecoaster. What am I not seeing?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    How does Preload fit into the picture?
    We do everything Preware and filecoaster do, in both ways (regular Palm install and optional Package Manager installation). Also includes ringtones, wallpapers, community file share and a messageboard.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    write down what method you used to do what you do. later when you need to remove tweek or anything else because palm puts out an update you will notice that people will suggest to use the same method for removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by susank2 View Post
    Well I've managed to install Preware and it wasn't hard at all!

Where are the tweaks that let you use email in landscape, LED notification, change the calendar default view, etc.? I see the patch for the virtual keyboard under "Available Patches" but that's the only one. It looks like "available applications" are just the applications that are in filecoaster. What am I not seeing?
    I will assume wosqi (WebOS Quick Install) was used to install Preware - so look in the tools menu of wosqi for tweaks (you will also see an online repository for patches). Enjoy and let us know what you think.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I have always used WebOS Quick Install for my tweaks and the latest version has a lot of patches that (I think) are in Preware too.

Is it redundant to have both? I think Preware has everything that WebOS Quick Install has (except maybe squaring the screen?)

They both seem great, but are there advantages to one over the other?

Thanks
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    I have always used WebOS Quick Install for my tweaks and the latest version has a lot of patches that (I think) are in Preware too.

Is it redundant to have both? I think Preware has everything that WebOS Quick Install has (except maybe squaring the screen?)

They both seem great, but are there advantages to one over the other?

Thanks

They are installers, one is a desktop solution the other is a Pre OTA solution. The point of Autopatch is for all installers to use the same underlying infrastructure for patching and be compatible.

It is all a matter of preference. Sometimes you might want a PC GUI to install something and other times you might want to use your Pre to do it. I think they compliment each other rather than compete with each other.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    WebOS QI makes it easy for boot logos, dialer bg, and avatar changes as well as other things. Preware allows for applying patches OTA. I think they compliment each other very well and to update the file service manager i believe you still need QI. Anyway Jason has put a lot of hard work into this app and it shows. Thanks to him for allowing more progress to happen on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmc2010 View Post
    WebOS QI makes it easy for boot logos, dialer bg, and avatar changes as well as other things. Preware allows for applying patches OTA. I think they compliment each other very well and to update the file service manager i believe you still need QI. Anyway Jason has put a lot of hard work into this app and it shows. Thanks to him for allowing more progress to happen on the Pre.
    As have rwhitby, oil, PuffTheMagic, destinal, rboatright and many others. There are many people working very hard behind the scenes as well, whose work has tremendous benefits to the community.

Let's give credit to everyone here, not just one developer. And don't take this as me taking anything away from Jason.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Well you saw how I got my *** handed to me when I brought up a similar subject as this thread earlier... Granted I didn't phrase my post well, but the motivation behind my post was that I didn't understand why people weren't taking advantage of the complimentary aspect of Preware to WOSQI while they were waiting for WOSQI to get released.

And you best believe I appreciate all the developers on this forum!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    thanks for the replies, i can go either route as both do the tweaks well
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    thanks for the replies, i can go either route as both do the tweaks well
    and you should be able to install with one, remove with the other :P

-Eric G

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    As have rwhitby, oil, PuffTheMagic, destinal, rboatright and many others. There are many people working very hard behind the scenes as well, whose work has tremendous benefits to the community.

Let's give credit to everyone here, not just one developer. And don't take this as me taking anything away from Jason.

+1 awesome work guys! all of you!!
  19. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    The developers of both deserve massive, massive praise and thanks.

I use PreWare mostly, just because I don't have to plug the phone into the computer to use it. But let's not forget that I wouldn't HAVE PreWare on the phone if it weren't for WOSQI!!!
    Is anyone else having issues with some patches not working with either one? Specifically the battery % tweak?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast