Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Preware 0.8.0 has screenshots and descriptions. We're just finalising the testing of service and patch upgrades before releasing it.
    Preware 0.8.0 is now released.

Please use this thread to discuss Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Yes, the thing which allowed the iPhone situation to work itself out was the usage of an open apt/dpkg feed standard.

We're doing the same thing, just with ipkg (cause that's what Palm chose to use).

-- Rod
    Exactly!

We (PreLoad and PreWare and Deiter from PC) email all the time to make sure that we're getting the standard down for feeds for apps. Nobody is asking people to install all 3 apps. BTW - filecoaster doesn't support feeds, it only uses precentral's apps).

I'm glad Oil replied before I did because I would have gone through every point.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I this preware and filecoaster each have there place. Even though I use preware daily I don't know if I'd trust my wife with it. Filecoaster seems like a much safer sand box to play in and I don't have to worry about her accidently updating over a patch and upsetting the delicate inner workings.

In the long run I think at least 2 separate programs will be neccesary, one for advanced rooted programs and one for casual homebrew fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by mscemt View Post
    I this preware and filecoaster each have there place. Even though I use preware daily I don't know if I'd trust my wife with it. Filecoaster seems like a much safer sand box to play in and I don't have to worry about her accidently updating over a patch and upsetting the delicate inner workings.

In the long run I think at least 2 separate programs will be neccesary, one for advanced rooted programs and one for casual homebrew fans.
    I think that's good in theory, but I don't think having multiple different apps is bad.
    I have been in contact with other Pre sites that want to create feeds and they also want their own app installer. Why not? If they have a group of people that follow them and that's where their loyalties lie, that's fine by me.

We shouldn't be concerned with who installs what and why they do it. I don't care if people use some app over mine. They're getting something from it and if they choose to install more than one then that's up to them. We will all just keep trying to make our apps as best they can be, doing what it is we want them to do.
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    I'm not going to bother trying to counter every point you've made. You think one way, others think another way, and all trying to change another persons mind over the internet is going to accomplish is wearing out keyboards.

But I will say that choice is a good thing. And that collaboration isn't always possible.

They may duplicate core functionality, but thats simply because they're all app installers.

They have different reasons for being separate. fileCoaster and PreLoad want to be able to be get on your pre without any extra stuff (like a package manager service) to get in the way of novice users who just want access to homebrew (or in PreLoads case, wallpaper and ringtone downloads also.) Preware wants to be able to install advanced applications, services, plugins, and patches, so we went the route of the package manager service, it has more steps for installation, but it has more abilities that power users want that isn't possible without the service.
    I'm not expecting counter points like argueing two sides of a debate. I'm just trying to understand why the several groups or individuals as the case may be for each app didn't work together to make a single app vs separate apps using the same core of installing apps with other features. I totally understand that each group or individual wanted to bring a function to the pre that wasn't there I'm just failing to understand why separate apps were made instead of all of it in one app. This thought will continue later in the post.

And WebOS Quick Install is needed because with out it, none of these apps would get on your pre (without the SDK) to begin with.
    I acknowleged the need for webos quick install. It is needed for the stuff that can't be done from on the device. So as stated before it is ok to have a from PC app that does everything and more the app on the device does.

Its not a matter of simply getting together and making one app, they all do different things for different resons. And putting them together into one app would be leaving out the functional differences that is their reason for being created in the first place.
    This perhaps is part of where I am failing to understand why separate apps vs one app with all of the functionality and features in it. And perhaps also came up in discussions behind the scenes between everyone involved in the apps. Is there some core code that prevents the functionality of the unique features of each app to be a part of a single app? Basically With my limited knowlege of the different apps I'm thinking why would combining the apps result in certain unique features from existing in a single app. Please do share some fundamental thing I'm not aware of that prevents the unique features of each app existing in a single app with all the other features.

But please, feel free to continue ranting. The keyboard manufacturers thank you.
    [/quote]

It would seem that you got the wrong impression of why I'm posting. I'm not ranting I'm trying to understand why separate apps over a single app. Obviously I have the best interest of the community in mind here as I pointed out that having separate apps is beginning to cause confusion in the community with both those using the apps to get what they want or need and those who are trying to help those who are confused.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    I think that's good in theory, but I don't think having multiple different apps is bad.
    I have been in contact with other Pre sites that want to create feeds and they also want their own app installer. Why not? If they have a group of people that follow them and that's where their loyalties lie, that's fine by me.

We shouldn't be concerned with who installs what and why they do it. I don't care if people use some app over mine. They're getting something from it and if they choose to install more than one then that's up to them. We will all just keep trying to make our apps as best they can be, doing what it is we want them to do.
    I don't care if there are 100 repositories for apps and tweaks and long as everything is available to install from a single app. It is in the best interest of the community to have easy access to everything made by the community. So if every forum wants their own little place for their section of the community to put their apps and tweaks that is fine but also they need to make their repository compatible to be feed into webos quick install, preware, etc is we have to have more than one app doing the same thing with a few unique features in each one. As long as each repository and app uses a standard then the confusion is minimized and troubleshooting simplified when more than one method doesn't have to be learned or understood in order to get something working right for someone having trouble getting things working right. This of course is my main concern and part of why I'm trying to understand why more than one app vs a single app with everything in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I don't care if there are 100 repositories for apps and tweaks and long as everything is available to install from a single app. It is in the best interest of the community to have easy access to everything made by the community. So if every forum wants their own little place for their section of the community to put their apps and tweaks that is fine but also they need to make their repository compatible to be feed into webos quick install, preware, etc is we have to have more than one app doing the same thing with a few unique features in each one. As long as each repository and app uses a standard then the confusion is minimized and troubleshooting simplified when more than one method doesn't have to be learned or understood in order to get something working right for someone having trouble getting things working right. This of course is my main concern and part of why I'm trying to understand why more than one app vs a single app with everything in it.

We ARE working together for a standard - that doesn't mean we have to be one app!
    You have choices of apps!
    Why isn't that a good thing??
    Wow

Get all the tip calc and clock guys together and have a go at them too. They all made seaparate apps that pretty much do the same thing.
    This perhaps is part of where I am failing to understand why separate apps vs one app with all of the functionality and features in it.
    This _is_ where you're having the problem.

Right now there are 2 fundamentally different ways to actually install the ipks to the pre (from the pre.)

1- Palms Built-in Method.
    2- WebOS-Internals Package Manager Service.

They both have ups and downs, but they're completely different, aside from the fact that they take an ipk and install it.

Palms method doesn't require installation of a separate service, but it suffers from the current '60 app limit', and it doesn't run advanced post-install and pre-remove scripts that allow for installation of 'rooting required' apps like the terminal plugin, flashlight service, mytether, or even the virtual keyboard patch.

Where the package manager service can install all of them, and it bypasses palms '60 app limit', but it requires a separate installation from the just the installer interface app itself.

If we were to make only one app using one or the other method, you would be losing out on ease of one or the power of the other. Hence multiple apps, to give people choice of ease or power. Choice is GOOD, not BAD.

But again, I'm probably just wasting my breath, as I thought I explained the differences quite well in my last post, and you still didn't get it.
    I don't care if there are 100 repositories for apps and tweaks and long as everything is available to install from a single app.
    Please read http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ecosystem.html

Preware, PreLoad and WebOS Quick Install (and any other installer that uses the open standard ipkg feeds at preware.org) have everything available to install from a single app.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Please read http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ecosystem.html

Preware, PreLoad and WebOS Quick Install (and any other installer that uses the open standard ipkg feeds at preware.org) have everything available to install from a single app.

-- Rod
    Cool bean. I was out of town and away from the net for a number of days so I missed hearing the news on that front. Just got back in town late last night. Any help I can provide that I'm capable of doing to help in the process of getting homebrew modifications as easy as installing apps let me know.
    Hey I installed preware and filecoaster a couple of weeks ago and they both suddenly stopped working. The apps open and get to the loading page but seem to load forever without bringing up any apps. Should I just uninstall and resintall them through webOS quickinstall?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I too had the issue with filecoaster not loading the apps.. After doing a hard reboot on the phone filecoaster loaded the application list w/o any problems.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Sometimes it works, sometimes I get a screen full of command line looking syntax
    i have the same problem with preware. I'd say most of the time it doesnt work. Somethings wrong with it. Hangs up a lot on updating and checking version. the thing just spins forever. Once in a while it will work though. I have used webos doctor and it still doesnt work.
    Also having this issue, have rebooted multiple times with no change.

Just started happening today.
    If Preware doesn't start updating fairly quickly, close the program and open it again. Unless one of the feeds is down that always works for me.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    yup
    me too.
    Preware and fileCoaster use completely different source feeds and techniques. There is zero overlap of code, functionality, or web sites that they are accessing.

Many thousands of people are using Preware 0.9.0 without any problems. All of the developers have zero problems.

Reports of problems from individuals are going to need to be accompanied by enough information to enable someone to reproduce the problem. The contents of /var/log/messages (you can retrieve that using Internalz or the Linux command line) is a good start.

Please use the official Preware thread for reporting issues with Preware rather than starting a new thread.

-- Rod
    Are they going to install / install properly.
    Preware themes work. WebOs Quick Install is having issues with tweaks. Haven't tried themes yet.
    i did a webOS quick installed with the tweaks But it didnt work it froze my phone up But i decided to Do the WebOS Quick Install for the preware and it work i also downloaded the mario theme and it works GREAT
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast