Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    One and for all can someone please explain these.

Is this basically the rundown of the software.

WebOS Quick Install - Once used to install things on the Pre via USB cable. It is still used today but mainly for the Install process of File Coaster and Preware... (am I correct on that?)

Filecoaster - This was/is a popular Application used to Install apps, specifically Homebrew apps onto the pre. Filecoaster made it possible to install Homebrew applications on the Pre via Over The Air. Filecoaster is basically like the official App store. Only thing is that Filecoaster is all 3rd party.

Preware is the new latest and craziest application. This basically replaced filecoaster and lets you install homebrew applications (like filecoaster does). It also lets you install themes and patches and do updates...

So, is what I said about these pretty accurate? Is that the difference?

* I see some homebrew apps mention in the details section, INSTALL VIA WebOS Quick Install or Install Via Filecoaster.... Am I able to install these via Preware?

Does preware make all those other tools obsolete basically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    One and for all can someone please explain these.

Is this basically the rundown of the software.

WebOS Quick Install - Once used to install things on the Pre via USB cable. It is still used today but mainly for the Install process of File Coaster and Preware... (am I correct on that?)

Filecoaster - This was/is a popular Application used to Install apps, specifically Homebrew apps onto the pre. Filecoaster made it possible to install Homebrew applications on the Pre via Over The Air. Filecoaster is basically like the official App store. Only thing is that Filecoaster is all 3rd party.

Preware is the new latest and craziest application. This basically replaced filecoaster and lets you install homebrew applications (like filecoaster does). It also lets you install themes and patches and do updates...

* I see some homebrew apps mention in the details section, INSTALL VIA WebOS Quick Install or Install Via Filecoaster.... Am I able to install these via Preware?

I personally don't think Preware makes WebOS Quick Install obsolete. I think WOSQI and Preware coexist perfectly fine. Both can do essentially the same things, though WOSQI requires a computer and (currently) a wired usb connection. On the flipside, I'd argue WOSQI is more developer-friendly in the base .patch and .ipk files not on feeds can be installed seamlessly. Plus, there's the obvious advantage of file transfer back and forth that WOSQI provides.

I believe, and someone can correct me if I've wrong, but I'm pretty sure FileCoaster stopped development a while ago.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    hmmm. Perhaps I'm not using weos qi to its fullest...
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

Yeah, I think you've got the basic idea alright.

The obvious advantage Preware has over Filecoaster is it handles patches and all that great stuff that used to require Quick Install. But I still use Filecoaster lots, I just like the interface, it's a quick way to see what new apps are out, the descriptions are right there, and I like the flags on updates. I probably check it once a day! Preware takes longer to load since it's handling homebrew apps AND patches AND opware AND updates and other stuff.. it's more comprehensive and therefore more complicated to navigate and slower to load.

I use Quick Install when somebody posts something in a forum here (most recently was pReader) that is simply an ipk file and isn't yet available on Filecoaster or Preware yet. I don't know how the developers of those programs operate, but I assume that the new apps all have to be manually updated into their que. That being said, I think the managers of those programs are really on top of it, and rarely does a day or two go by when some hot new homebrew app is on the scene that it's available via both programs.

I am super impressed not only by all the selfless, generous homebrew programming and sharing that's going on, but with the constant updating of the tools that allow us to quickly grab onto and take advantage of this wellspring of apps, which frankly puts the official app catalog to shame. Except for the homebrew graduates of course. The lifeblood of this OS is with the homebrewers, both unofficial and "graduate".

Ok. Enough ***-kissing. Yes, you've got the basic idea on these three programs. Enjoy them all.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I can think of 2 patches for which I must use Quick Install: the patch that restylizes the browser bookmark page to 4x4 and the patch that removes the quick launch bar. I had to install both using Quick Install and the QI send function to add the image over-lays both patches require to display properly. There may be other examples. (PreGame's My Flashlight maybe.) WebOS Quick Install is far from obsolete.
    Awesome, thanks for the information guys...

I deleted Filecoaster when I installed Preware. Only reason why I did so was because I got an error when I tried to open Filecoaster. I thought having Preware on my phone was messing up something with filecoaster, so I got rid of it.

I'm thinking about grabbing it again. Now, here's a question. If I want to install filecoaster back onto my phone do I have to use WebOS QI? or can I go into preware and grab Filecoaster and install it that way?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    if u didnt have webosquickinstall u wouldnt have preware....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    if u didnt have webosquickinstall u wouldnt have preware....
    Or you could use the Preware installer . . . .
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Now, here's a question. If I want to install filecoaster back onto my phone do I have to use WebOS QI? or can I go into preware and grab Filecoaster and install it that way?

Thanks.
    You can install it using Preware.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I personally don't think Preware makes WebOS Quick Install obsolete. I think WOSQI and Preware coexist perfectly fine. Both can do essentially the same things, though WOSQI requires a computer and (currently) a wired usb connection. On the flipside, I'd argue WOSQI is more developer-friendly in the base .patch and .ipk files not on feeds can be installed seamlessly. Plus, there's the obvious advantage of file transfer back and forth that WOSQI provides.
    +1 Jason, i use both and couldnt live without either. Anyone that asks about homebrew, those are the first two and only programs i mention.
    Personally I just use Preware. Doing everything over the air is so much nicer and more convenient than the tedious enabling of dev mode and connecting a cable.
    What one is better? good to have them both? I have preware should i get Filecoaster too?
    Quote Originally Posted by kunedogg View Post
    What one is better? good to have them both? I have preware should i get Filecoaster too?
    Filecoaster is used to instal homebrew apps , preware is a muscle car used to add patches , themes , apps

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/filecoaster

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...eware-178.html
    so does preware install the same apps that filecoaster does? Dont think i want to the the themes and such just from reading on here all the problems people have.
    so does preware install the same apps that filecoaster does? Dont think i want to the the themes and such just from reading on here all the problems people have.
    Yes , don't be afraid try Preware. This is the path to utilizing your pre to it's potential.
    i do have preware on my pre. Im just afraid to do any patches and or themes. It seems that people are having problems if they dont remove the patchs or themes before updating. I have seen some really cool themes that i would like to have just not sure if its worth all the problems.
    Do you have to delete the patchs and themes before a webos update?
    i do have preware on my pre. Im just afraid to do any patches and or themes. It seems that people are having problems if they dont remove the patchs or themes before updating. I have seen some really cool themes that i would like to have just not sure if its worth all the problems.

Yes as of today ALL patches and themes should be deleted. Very easy to do via preware. Delete theme , EPR , deletes all patches. It is said that in the near future preware will have the ability to allow a web os update without the need to remove.

Read the link in my sig preware
    Once i get a patch or them on my pre from Preware is there a app or option to delete on the pre or do i have to connect to Webos quick install to remove any patches and themes?
    Once i get a patch or them on my pre from Preware is there a app or option to delete on the pre or do i have to connect to Webos quick install to remove any patches and themes?
    If you use preware to load the patch or theme , use preware to delete it.
    If you use quick install to load a theme or patch use quickinstall to delete as well.

Apples and apples , oranges and oranges.

http://forums.precentral.net/2040315-post1.html

Both are great tools , I lean towards preware because I do not need my pc to use it.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast