Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    I havent had to remove any of my homebrew apps with any of the updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    Sorry if this quetion was asked before, I just want to get a clear answer.

If I used webos quick install and preware to install some homebrew apps on the phone, and had some tweak/patches on the phone.

Before I do the next Palm WebOs update, do I only need to remove the homebrew apps , tweaks, patches? Or I need to completely remove Webos quick install and Preware, too?

Thanks!

you need clean all your patches from webos q.i and preware also the themes!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    you need clean all your patches from webos q.i and preware also the themes!!!!
    Thank you. Do I have to remove "preware" itself? Or only the patches/apps installed through Preware?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    Thank you. Do I have to remove "preware" itself? Or only the patches/apps installed through Preware?

Thanks.
    i usually remove only the patches and themes!!! i leave the apps and preware , they dont need to be removed!
    Quick question.

I homebrewed my phone a couple weeks back. I had filecoaster running on my phone so I can download homebrew apps without having to connect to Quick Install.

Just the other day, I put PreWare on my phone. Everything is set up with that.

So, I had both Filecoaster and Preware installed on my phone.

I am aware you can get homebrew apps via Preware...

BUT, me being curious I opened up Filecoaster and my phone had problems. Wouldn't work. SOme code came up saying it couldn't work... Didn't break anything, I just swiped away.

Overall I deleted Filecoaster because I didn't need it. But just out of curiosity, do these two conflict with each other if you have them both installed on the PRE?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I've had both on my phone for months; I've never experienced a conflict. Both still work.
    I have also had problems with FC, but I just swipe it away and open it again and it seems to work.
    i ended up deleting filecoaster. i mean, is there really any use for it if i hsave preware installrd? with preware i can dowmload homebrew apps. right?
    Need some help getting this straight:

Preware is an app that lets me select which updates I want to install, etc before they install automatically? I've been thinking about this lately because I've been told to remove all patches/themes before installing a new update (whenever that may be) of webOS...but from what I remember those updates install automatically if I have WiFi enabled. Will Preware act as a sort of filter then to prevent automatic install?

Still trying to get it all figured out....I'm getting there!
    ....And with Preware installed, no need for fileCoaster right?
    Preware is definitely better currently.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    ....And with Preware installed, no need for fileCoaster right?
    I don't have FileCoaster anymore, but if I recall correctly, it gave you the ratings of apps. If that's interesting to you, you might consult FileCoaster for that. (Obviously, it's not important for me since I neglected to install it the last time I doctored my Pre. But someone might want that info.)
    I guess I'm mainly concerned with updates from Palm and the patches installed on my Pre right now. I've been told that updating to a new version of webOS without first uninstalling my tweaks could have adverse effects. Don't want that to happen. From what I remember, if I have WiFi enabled, updates will install automatically

.....so will Preware prevent automatic install of new versions of webOS and give me the chance to remove tweaks etc first?
    Im pretty sure you have to accept the WebOS updates first....or it will automatically do after 10 days? I believe.

But yea, it is safer to always remove tweaks/themes from Preware before the update. Its under the concept of better to be safe than sorry.
    Since no one has answered this part of the question....No, preware will NOT prevent the automatic install of new updates. You will need to watch the board for when updates are coming out so you'll know when to remove your tweaks. Having said that, Preware makes removing tweaks extremely simple.
    thanks thekarens! I'll just do what you said and watch the board...like I've been doing....too much actually cause it's hindering the completion of a big report i have to do at work. PreCentral is more interesting.
    A related question: Preware and WebOS Quick Install both require the installation of other items (e.g., Package Manager). Does anything that Preware and/or WebOS Quick Install do by default (e.g., without actually using them to install anything else) interfere with updates?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    .....so will Preware prevent automatic install of new versions of webOS and give me the chance to remove tweaks etc first?
    Any patches you install from the webos-patches feed can be removed all at once via EPR. You can even run EPR right AFTER a webos update, so no need to worry about automatic update when using AutoPatch Technology patches found in webos-patches feed.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    A related question: Preware and WebOS Quick Install both require the installation of other items (e.g., Package Manager). Does anything that Preware and/or WebOS Quick Install do by default (e.g., without actually using them to install anything else) interfere with updates?
    No, and leaving Preware and the PMS on the phone will not interfere with an OS update.
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    No, and leaving Preware and the PMS on the phone will not interfere with an OS update.
    Thanks!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast