1.    #1  
    I have been a Palm/Treo user for years. I upgraded to the Pre last week and LOVE it. But there is one little app that I really miss from the old Palm OS. That app is Shortcut5. This app, when installed, would show up in the Prefs pert of the old Palm OS. What it would do is allow you to create shortcut keystrokes that would kind of work like a macro. You would just type a period and then the shortcut keys and then those characters would be deleted, and the full intended shortcut text would be entered. For example, I would type.jd and it would delete the .jd and type out John Doe for me, or I would type .em and it would replace that with myreallylongemailaddress_at_myemaildomain.com for me. I feel crippled in my proficiency without this app (and KeyCaps, but that has already been mentioned several times). So has anyone found or created an app like this for the Pre that I have missed? Or are nay of you programmers up for the challenge of creating an app like this?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    This would be very useful for me as well.
  3.    #3  
    Bump...

Any of you programmers... Please.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I agree. I would love this!
    not sure if there is a way to capture keystrokes all the time, but I agree that this would be pretty handy.

The reason I don't think it's possible, yet, is because if it were, they would be using for auto-correct instead of Palm's default stuff.

HOWEVER,

If you just modify the auto-complete/replace feature, you can make it so when you type in .em or whatever, replaces the same exact way as you describe, no additional program required.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by long_tall_texan View Post
    I have been a Palm/Treo user for years. I upgraded to the Pre last week and LOVE it. But there is one little app that I really miss from the old Palm OS. That app is Shortcut5. This app, when installed, would show up in the Prefs pert of the old Palm OS. What it would do is allow you to create shortcut keystrokes that would kind of work like a macro. You would just type a period and then the shortcut keys and then those characters would be deleted, and the full intended shortcut text would be entered. For example, I would type.jd and it would delete the .jd and type out John Doe for me, or I would type .em and it would replace that with myreallylongemailaddress_at_myemaildomain.com for me. I feel crippled in my proficiency without this app (and KeyCaps, but that has already been mentioned several times). So has anyone found or created an app like this for the Pre that I have missed? Or are nay of you programmers up for the challenge of creating an app like this?
    The Pre has a set of words that can be edited (if you get root access). These words, when typed, are automatically substituted as you mentioned.
    For instance, on your Pre, if you type "See u at the store", it will be substitued with "See you at the store".
    Information about that can be found here:
    Patch webOS Add Words to AutoCorrect Dictionary - WebOS Internals

There is an app that does this, but it's a "homebrew" that requires rooting. That app can be found on another thread here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ne-access.html
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The Pre has a set of words that can be edited (if you get root access). These words, when typed, are automatically substituted as you mentioned.
    For instance, on your Pre, if you type "See u at the store", it will be substitued with "See you at the store".
    Information about that can be found here:
    Patch webOS Add Words to AutoCorrect Dictionary - WebOS Internals

There is an app that does this, but it's a "homebrew" that requires rooting. That app can be found on another thread here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ne-access.html
    And if I recall, Palm made the auto-correct feature more robust in the 1.1 update. I suspect that they will continue improving it and will eventually enable users to edit the library.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Just wondering if it is possible yet to add this kind of feature to the pre. Anyone know?
    MKTREK - Handspring Visor Blue, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 750, Palm Pre
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    <<Thread Renamed and Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Moved to where?

<<Mod>>
    To here (webOS Apps and Software) - look near the top of the window for full forum path.
    MKTREK - Handspring Visor Blue, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 750, Palm Pre
    Pre|central Peacekeepers