1.    #1  
    Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could set up a webcam at my home and monitor it via my Pre through out the day.

I don't know a lot about how to do this but I imagine something like a program on my computer that uploads a shot taken with the webcam every few minutes and then accessing the webpage with my pre. Has anyone done anything like this? Thanks much in advance!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zerty55 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could set up a webcam at my home and monitor it via my Pre through out the day.

I don't know a lot about how to do this but I imagine something like a program on my computer that uploads a shot taken with the webcam every few minutes and then accessing the webpage with my pre. Has anyone done anything like this? Thanks much in advance!

Orb lets you access media and also a web cam: orb.com
    NOTE: This only works in XP (well, Win2000 and NT too - but who's running those anymore!) .

In the past I've used a *very* simple and limited solution using a piece of open source software called webcam2000. It met my needs very well at no cost. It will actually set a up an image server on your home pc. To access it, you either need to know your home IP address or have dynamic dns (such as dyndns). Also, if you're behind a router or firewall (I hope you are), you'll need to be able to set up port forwarding to the image server port. If you have some tech ability, this isn't too difficult to get up and running.

It provides still images updated at a selectable interval.
  4.    #4  
    Excellent, thanks for the info!

Seems like this would be a fairly popular idea. I've got a couple big dogs I'd like to keep an eye on while I am away from the home... would be really nice to be able to call home and let them know I am watching them.

How about when the door bell rings it emails a photo to you of who is at the door? Maybe I am getting too nerdy about all this lol.
    Check with SmartHome.com for automation type applications which work with cameras and other devices. This website has had some good deals and good support in the past for me and I recommend them highly. There are devices which monitor your door, doorbell, and can be ported to the internet. Good luck!