Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With six new apps hitting the catalog to day, Word Ace being one of three games, it can be clearly seen that this app is definitely the best official game out there. It is a great concept, looks sleek, and has great features and tracking. It is a sure pick up for any pre owner, gamer or not. If you want to, add me as a friend. Code is 1835

- Overview - The idea is relatively simple. Being a cross between Texas Hold Em' and Scrabble, two very well known games, it wont be hard to pick up. The game starts by dealing you two 'cards' and giving you 400 chips. Each card contains a letter, and a number. The number represents how many points it will score you. The less common, the more points. A wave of betting is then sent around, and three cards are dealt out. These cards are just like the ones your holding, and may be used by anyone at the table to make words. More letters come out and more betting opportunities come. Eventually there's five letters in the middle, and two in your hand, making a total of seven. You must now try to create the best word you can, scoring you as many points as possible. The game utilizes an online game type, so you are facing real opponents with real knowledge that can make real mistakes (and real good words). The player with the highest point-valued-word is then deemed as the winner, and receives all the chips in the pot. Chips are accumulated, just as in poker, until one player has them all.

- Details - The game harbors a nice point tracking system with achievements and life time stats. It is very nice, looks sleek, and seems like it will take a while to get all those achievements. The music is nice, and can be turned off in the settings page. As of now, that is the only setting in this page. Also, the game can be played offline as well as online; offline being played with computers. In online play, you can add friends to your friend list and start private games with them. It is a nice little feature to have.

- Overview of Features -
    - Online play
    - Integrated game lobby and chat room (chat while you play)
    - Achievements that will have you coming back
    - Nice progress tracking
    - Beautifully sleek look
    - Customizable Icons (default, positive, and negative). Just swipe the default during play for pos/neg change

- Issues - I have very little issues with the game, but the developers ARE reading this, so I might as well put in whatever I feel needs to be corrected and added. Green is my issue, red is the developers response to it (if any)

- The same concept as a friend list but a ban list. Players in your ban list wont be ignored, but if another game is open, it is a priority over any game with anyone in your ban list. Reasons to ban list someone; Cheating (looking at online unsramblers) or rude or abusive behavior.

- This is something we're looking at for exactly the reasons you mention. It's a sizable amount of work to implement, but it's definitely an issue we're taking very seriously.
    - Maybe its only me, but I think that swiping between default, positive, and negative pictures should have an option to stay permanent until you swipe it back in the settings page, instead of auto moving back after a few seconds.

- That's how it was originally implemented, but it felt wrong. What we're looking for is a quick visual declaration of "Yeah!" or "Boo!" - what happened when you could switch for a long time was that people rarely stayed neutral, and were almost always either happy or angry all the time. It's a matter of personal taste to some degree, but there was a particular vibe we were looking for.
    - Something to do once you fold. Not a major issue though

- ...we're working on that.

- A little more detailed tracking features. Right now its pretty basic. There are achievements for winning x hands with a y letter word, but you cant tell how many you won with that many letters. I would like to be able to.

- More of a UI issue than anything else - Word Ace has so much *stuff* that we wanted to keep things as simple as possible. That said, I'd also love to be able to see how far along the various awards are, and it seems like it's all been pretty clear to users so far, so adding a little 12/60 or something wouldn't clutter things up too much. We were really concerned during the game's development, though, because we have basically all the UI of a word game, AND all the UI of a poker game, AND all the weird ways they intersect. Making it all understandable's been a challenge, and we were really ruthless about un-cluttering where we could. Perhaps a little too much.

- Something to unlock with achievements. Maybe a new song, or new pictures that are similar to the original ones but colored as you progressively get more achievements. Its little things like these that keep people coming back to the game.

- We're working on stuff like this. Hopefully in an update soon - we've got the art assets done, it's just a matter of getting 'em into the game and testing everything. Shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks.

- In chat, the message sent pops up multiple times as if it were sent multiple times, but when seeing the log, it has only been sent once.

- Multiselect in the friends list pending page. I tend to get a lot

- There should be a quick match table where, after 1 "auto fold" (timer runs out) you are kicked and not allowed in for 30 min. For speedy players such as myself

-I think the Human Dictionary achievement (win 25 hands without misspelling a word) is bugged. I got it on a losing hand. (Sorry for the text box in the way. I had to rush the screenshot before it went away and I accidently hit that button. If you can't tell, the left hand player won with a word score of 14 to my 10)

Overall, this is a great game, and I cannot wait to see what's in store in the updates. Download it, trust me, you'll like it! Show me some thanking love
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mononoko; 10/05/2009 at 07:46 PM.
    I just seen it, downloaded it and played it. I loved it!
    This is actually a great app to demo the Pre's ability for gaming. It isn't action oriented or 3D, but it proves the Pre can handle good looking games.

Thanks for the review!
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    You can also put a picture of yourself or any of your photos as your avatar. This is the first official great game!
    This is my new favorite game on the Pre. If anybody wants to add me to their game, my code is 3952.

The only big issue I've found with it is no way to adjust the music volume that I can see. The volume buttons control the alert volume like usual, not the music volume. I just turned it off anyway, but still.
    I love this game too, I wasn't really expecting something this addicting today! My code's 1534
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    This is my new favorite game on the Pre. If anybody wants to add me to their game, my code is 3952.

The only big issue I've found with it is no way to adjust the music volume that I can see. The volume buttons control the alert volume like usual, not the music volume. I just turned it off anyway, but still.
    System Volume in settings, i believe
    Awesome review!!! Thanks! Glad to hear you're enjoying the game!
    seppo
    One thing you might want to look into adding would be a notification if I'm in another card when it's my turn (since some people are slow I'm usually checking Twitter while waiting).

I tried to see if there was something like that already, but didn't seem to be anything.
  10.    #10  
    One thing you might want to look into adding would be a notification if I'm in another card when it's my turn (since some people are slow I'm usually checking Twitter while waiting).

I tried to see if there was something like that already, but didn't seem to be anything.
    +1

Thanks for the feedback. It's something we're working on. We've got some ideas.

Thanks!
    seppo
    I am a huge fan of Texas hold em' so of course i knew i would like this game. One word....SWEEEEET!

I would like to see an actual texas hold em' game just like this one also. Maybe like the format of Pokerstars.net's style. that would be amazing.
    Also, one other issue I had. I was playing a game and noticed for some strange reason that the app menu was showing in the top left even though it hadn't (in-game) before. So, I tapped on the settings button there, and it did bring me back to the screen where I could turn the music off or on. I did the back gesture and it brought me back to the game I was already playing, but the five cards from the previous hand were showing, and any new cards showed underneath my name. I took a screenshot as soon as it happened. I quit out of the game and came back and it was fixed, and I tried in the following game to get it to happen again, but couldn't no matter how many times I tried to.

Probably not a major issue with that being the case.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whoa. Bizarre. We'll keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for posting the screenshot!
    seppo
    Watch your battery level, this game is a hog. But i still love it!

I guess thats what is going to happen with any online game.
    Hi seppo and selfawaregames!

Thanks for the great app and ingenious concept.

My main gripe is that everything is a bit small. Touch-wise I seem to have no problem, but visually everything seems too squished together or small. I understand that there's a lot going on in this game, but it still looks like you have space to increase the size of some buttons and fonts.

Also I have over 4K in chips according to my chip profile, but why do I start each game with ~300?
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    The game seems very cool to me except for the fact that I always get FAIL! Not A Word every hand. I didn't know 'dog' was not a word. Am I doing something wrong here? Seems pretty straight forward but not a single word has worked.
    This is an amazing game! It looks so good and it showcases the Pre's abilities very well. Keep'em coming guys, great job.

If you want to add me my code:2436
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    The game seems very cool to me except for the fact that I always get FAIL! Not A Word every hand. I didn't know 'dog' was not a word. Am I doing something wrong here? Seems pretty straight forward but not a single word has worked.
    Yeah I've experienced that too when I'm playing in practice mode, any one know why is that? Every word you try is supposedly not a word....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Dog isn't a word!

Duh!

We found a problem in Practice Mode that we're fixing right now. It shouldn't affect online play, but until the next update, unfortunately, practice mode has a fatal glitch. Our sincerest apologies - online mode should be a-ok, and we'll get the fix out as soon as is humanly possible.

seppo
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast