Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    Good stuff SelfAware!

This might be more appropriate for Card Ace, but how do people feel about timer length? I feel like it's a bit on the long end, just a little bit. Auto-actions sound great though, especially combined with "vibrate-on-turn".

If we check Fold, will it cancel if someone raises? I know if you were going to fold for one bet, you'd probably fold for a higher bet, but just wondering.

Last, any plans to include the new feature/API that prevents auto-dimming? I usually have to set my dim timer higher when I play Card and Word Ace, and then change it back once I'm done playing.

Excited for your next "ridiculous" project that you guys hinted at!
    re: Timer Length - this is something that people have been talking about since day 1, and we're looking at adding Speed Tables as an option - however, the other side to that is that we need to make sure the device has the bandwidth to communicate fast enough to deal with it. I know that in a day when we're used to being able to play games like Street Fighter 4 lag-free on our home consoles, it seems strange that something like a 30-second timer can be critical to lag, but bandwidth is both slower and unreliable on mobile devices, and even at a 30-second timer, in certain network conditions, players are still timing out.

But we're looking into what we can do, and it's likely that we'll have speed tables for those that can handle it in the next month or so.

re: auto-fold - if you check fold, it'll fold no matter what, if it's checked when your turn rolls around. If you have Check & Fold checked, it'll check if you can, and fold if you can't. If you have Check checked, it'll check if it can, and ask you what to do if it can't.

re: auto-dimming - this build should actually not auto-dim or turn the screen off anymore. Previously, it was actually impossible to override this, but now we can.

re: Dan's comment about battery life - the biggest thing is simply that as a network game, it's a resource hog. No bones about it, and while we're constantly optimizing the game's performance, there's some level at which the game just needs the power. Again, though, we're constantly trying to improve every aspect of the game, so I wouldn't rule out improvements, but there are limits to what is under our control.

Cheers!
    seppo
    One last thing - and honestly, I may have posted this, and it may have gotten moderated away because it's inappropriate - if so, sorry - I just don't remember whether I posted this here before - but real-world Word Ace decks are now available. Just e-mail cards@selfwaregames.com for ordering info. It's a very limited run, and decks are $24.99 each + shipping & handling, each hand signed & numbered by the whole Self Aware team. The first shipment of 'em goes out tomorrow, and we'll have an "unboxing" video up on our site soon, as I think the deck & package is pretty darned cool, and you should know what you're getting. We're well on our way to selling out this print run, so if you want 'em (and more important, you want 'em as holiday gifts), place an order soon!

(you can check out what the deck looks like here: http://www.selfawaregames.com/blog/2009/12/02/cards/ )

Thanks!
    seppo

(and again, if this is inappropriate for the forum, my apologies, please delete. Thanks!)
    Quote Originally Posted by selfawaregames View Post
    One last thing - and honestly, I may have posted this, and it may have gotten moderated away because it's inappropriate - if so, sorry - I just don't remember whether I posted this here before - but real-world Word Ace decks are now available. Just e-mail cards@selfwaregames.com for ordering info. It's a very limited run, and decks are $24.99 each + shipping & handling, each hand signed & numbered by the whole Self Aware team. The first shipment of 'em goes out tomorrow, and we'll have an "unboxing" video up on our site soon, as I think the deck & package is pretty darned cool, and you should know what you're getting. We're well on our way to selling out this print run, so if you want 'em (and more important, you want 'em as holiday gifts), place an order soon!

(you can check out what the deck looks like here: Self Aware CARDS! )

Thanks!
    seppo

(and again, if this is inappropriate for the forum, my apologies, please delete. Thanks!)
    Just ordered my deck! Where are you guys located again? I want to guesstimate how long it will take for them to get here. I'm so excited, can't wait to try the game out with some friends!

-Dan (billythekid)
    They'll be shipping tomorrow morning from a post office either in SF or in Oakland, CA.

seppo
    They'll be shipping tomorrow morning from a post office either in SF or in Oakland, CA.

seppo
    Got my cards yesterday. Have yet to play a game (nobody has time this time of year), but they look amazing and I'm glad I was in on the first shipment! Next step, get these things into board game and toy stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
    Got my cards yesterday. Have yet to play a game (nobody has time this time of year), but they look amazing and I'm glad I was in on the first shipment! Next step, get these things into board game and toy stores.
    Glad you like it! In terms of getting these into stores, it's ... highly unlikely. Getting this shipment out was a ridiculous amount of work, and all the time spent on getting the cards done took away from the other things (making videogames) that we love doing.

seppo
    Glad you like it! In terms of getting these into stores, it's ... highly unlikely. Getting this shipment out was a ridiculous amount of work, and all the time spent on getting the cards done took away from the other things (making videogames) that we love doing.

seppo
    Ah, good point... gotta keep doing what you love. Well in any case I love your business model and have bought a few chip packs to support your company. Reading the blog has made me realize you guys have amazing potential and are on your way to being one the the top studios for mobile platforms. Keep up the good work!
    I just wanted to let people know, since it's been a long time in the works... we know people have been concerned about players cheating in Word Ace. I've said that we've been working on a variety of solutions behind the scenes, and the fruit of that labor is starting to show. As more people start to use the "Thumbs Down" rating, combined with some new stuff we're rolling out behind the scenes, is starting a wave of warnings/bannings to players that are playing illegitimately.

I know it's been frustrating to people (myself included), but things are about to get a whole lot better. And every negative rating you give to someone you think is cheating helps us churn through this even faster - so if you enjoy the game, help us help you.

Give bad players the thumbs down!

Cheers!
    seppo
    hey seppo,

just wanted to say how much i enjoy the game you guys have created. it's definitely fun and incredibly addictive! i've actually bought chips probably 4 or 5 times early in my word ace career to satisfy my hunger when i went broke. lol

my 2 cents about the cheating... it's incredibly hard to completely moderate the players. it's almost common knowledge that players on 20k+ tables all use anagrammers. i'm not saying it should be condoned, but anyone without the aid of an anagrammer at those tables would definitely be the minority (and people learn quick).

i play on different tables (4k when i'm on the go and want to play with players who are straight up, and 100k when i want to play the mental game of figuring people out). as i told someone before who was concerned about the cheating on the larger tables, since everyone at 100k cheats, it doesn't make it less of a game... it just makes it a different game... it makes it 'poker'.

however, it definitely irritates me when people cheat at the smaller tables, as those should be reserved for true players. bullying people around at 4k doesn't make it fun for anyone. there are also players who play the all in game, which is more irritating than cheating. blind all in before the flop until they win... then keep betting the minimum to get everyone else to go all in. once that person gets enough of a stack, it becomes statistically more difficult to beat them enough times to drop them off the table.

these are the people who really take the fun out of word ace. it's no longer a game of spelling or mentality... just a coin flip. it's one thing to go desperate once in awhile, but it's another to use it as your strategy to increase your chip count. thankfully, the law of averages usually helps drag those players down eventually, but only to let them resurface once more sometime in the future.

as a possible solution for cheats, could you split tables between those who play straight and those who use anagrammers? kind of like how bodybuilding has both natural contests and ones roiders. when you mix all the players together, it makes it difficult for even the rep system to work, as all the cheaters who only play with cheaters will give each other thumbs up... and the one person at the table who doesn't cheat doesn't have enough rep power to balance those out.

believe me, there are already a hoard of anagrammers who are jumping from table to table requesting reps from people to prevent them from being flagged.

anyway, sorry about the long rant, but as you can tell i'm very passionate about your game and love to play it. my friends and i sometimes refer to it as 'word crack'. lol

keep up the good work and i'm looking forward to more games on the pre from you guys. thanks!
    Thanks for the thorough feedback!

re: difficulty finding cheaters... there are a handful of things we're doing. Some are based on the rep, some are based on manual moderation, some are based on automatic stuff we're running through the logs. We've got a good set of things all up and running, and they're going to get better over the next few weeks as we get better data.

I'm glad that people are looking for thumbs ups to balance out the negative ratings, actually, because that'll have no effect on us being able to find the cheaters.

It's going to take time, because we do want to be careful not to get legitimately good players caught up in the net. But hopefully improvements will begin to become obvious, and people who enjoy the game will be able to play at all the tables, as they should be able to, without fear of getting caught out by someone who's not playing fair.

If the people who are cheating want to play poker, they should just play poker. If they want to grief legit Word Ace players, screw 'em, they'll get banned, and they won't be able to play poker *either*. Good times.

seppo
    Ahoy, all. Just wanted to give people a heads-up for what's coming in the next update.

Two big things:

1.) Gifts! You'll be able to use your chips to buy drinks for the other players at your table. Found a great set of people to play with? Show 'em some love by buying a round of drinks for the table, or get the person who's money you just took a consolation bottle of poison. Or maybe they'll get one for you. Who knows? (Get enough & give enough, and there are new Awards in it for you, too!)

2.) We're *finally* getting to donations! Love the game, but have a gazillion chips, and don't feel any desire to purchase more? In the next release, if you donate a couple bucks to support the game, you'll receive a shiny bronze/silver/gold/platinum star for 30 days, that'll show everyone that you're one of the awesome people who makes the game possible!

We're excited to finally get to gifts & donations. The drinks are really cool looking, and only the first wave of this kind of thing. We've got a whole mess of fun items planned, from the Moon to Nutrition Cubes to a Bucket of Chum. :|

Should be submitting to Palm soon!
    seppo
    Just a heads-up to the precentral peeps. Christmas day, all chip packages will be doubled! One day only. We did this for Black Friday, but since only people who are playing on that day will see the in-game notice, we're announcing this in-game the day before, and the sale's only on the 25th.

Just so you know!
    Thanks!
    seppo
    This is the best ap ever. Awesome game. Awesome concept!
    Question for everyone out there - can you get to Card Ace & Word Ace on the App Catalog? I can't, and am not sure exactly why, but it's possible it's due to the fact that we have some funky versions of the OS on our phones.

Any help would be appreciated - if you can just let me know whether you can or can't find Card Ace & Word Ace on the App Catalog, that'd be great.

Thanks!
    seppo
    Question for everyone out there - can you get to Card Ace & Word Ace on the App Catalog? I can't, and am not sure exactly why, but it's possible it's due to the fact that we have some funky versions of the OS on our phones.

Any help would be appreciated - if you can just let me know whether you can or can't find Card Ace & Word Ace on the App Catalog, that'd be great.

Thanks!
    seppo
    Hey Seppo,

I was able to find both through Explore>Games>All...

I think it is a problem with the App Catalog software, it is unreliable for searches. I was not able to find the games with a search for "ace" "word" or "card"... but I also don't find the app Crosswords with a search for "Crosswords" "Cross" or "Word".

Panic attack averted! The masses can still access your games

-billy
    Well, still a minor panic attack. Since the search is the best way to find stuff, it's a little odd that they're not showing up. :|

Thanks for checking it out!

(Talked to someone @ Palm - turns out they've got a glitch in their search they're working to correct, so it's being taken care of! Awesome!)
    Last edited by selfawaregames; 12/28/2009 at 05:31 PM.
    One other question - after updating to 1.3.5, has anyone had a problem with their profile? We've been getting some e-mails that peoples' profiles are disappearing. Not many, but enough to make us a little worried that 1.3.5 is changing something fundamental with the way the phone's identified.

If anyone has gotten the update, please let me know if your Word Ace or Card Ace profiles have remained intact.

Thanks.
    seppo
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Seppo,

I saw this posted, so i jsut checked. I updated the OS last night. I just logged into the game. all was fine.

Dave
    Thanks, Dave - that's one data point in the "good" column - the two we have in the "bad" column have some other odd circumstances, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this isn't widespread... Every response would be greatly appreciated (PM me your friend code, and I'll add 10K chips to your account for the trouble! - that goes for you, too - DKatman)

Thanks!
    seppo
    Well, still a minor panic attack. Since the search is the best way to find stuff, it's a little odd that they're not showing up. :|

Thanks for checking it out!

(Talked to someone @ Palm - turns out they've got a glitch in their search they're working to correct, so it's being taken care of! Awesome!)
    I can also find the games through exploring, but yes, search is still a no-go. I thought they said there was a fix in 1.3.5, but I guess not.