Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I went hiking the other day & was excited to have my Pre w/me because I could use Google maps. I was so dissapointed to find that the maps are only accessed via network connection. The gps was useless.

I have been using maps on handhelds for years, even w/the old bluetooth gps adaptors.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Google maps is an internet service. A website. How else are you going to use it other than with a data connection?

You've been using maps on handhelds for years because you bought GPS/mapping software and installed the maps on the device. That's not (at all) the same thing as Google maps.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    Google maps is an internet service. A website. How else are you going to use it other than with a data connection?

You've been using maps on handhelds for years because you bought GPS/mapping software and installed the maps on the device. That's not (at all) the same thing as Google maps.
    jeesh...let me rephrase my post. i'm pissed that there is not a native map on the pre that utilizes the gps without having to connect to the internet. Apparently my question was not (at all) written very well.
    was gonna rip on the OP but now he clarified...dang... lol.
    I can completely see where you are coming from now
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Mobile Gmaps would be a great option, but the pre doesn't have J2ME support yet...at least not that I am aware of.

Mobile Gmaps has a feature that allows you to use "cached" or "stored maps" that are map tile sections stored on a memory card. It's a free app, and works on windows mobile, palm, symbian, and maybe some other devices. This or something like it would be sweet.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    That's the tradeoff for not having to use 20GB (for example) of space on your device for map/terrain data. There is a point to having the data online, where it can constantly be updated and revised, and improved, and delivered to all sorts of devices without taking up massive amounts of local storage. To gain that benefit, you pretty much have to give up some aspect of offline use.

I don't know if this works on the Pre, but on my iPhone the currently loaded map data will stick around even without the network. I've driven into an area with no service and was still able to use the maps in a limited fashion (enough to keep me from digging out a paper map). So next time, load up the data ahead of time and see if it can get you through the network blackout.
    Hi dumb question here...

Can someone clarify the general distinction between internet and GPS use/accesibility for the Pre apps we have available?

* Sprint Navigation
    * PreTracker
    * find MY car
    * Google Maps

They all ask me if they can use GPS "location services" before they can become funcitonal, but is that through the EVDO or some kinda GPS thingamabob?

The PreTracker for example makes a point in the GUI to connect to sattellites... that is not internet, right? Thats GPS?

So confused...
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I wonder how hard it would be to built an app like Mobile GMaps, even it all it could do is cache specified tiles on the pre. The only time someone would need maps like that would be when back packing etc.

I was so pumped to be able to use the satelite images on google maps. Come on developers! I think there would be some interest in having that availability.

Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    That's the tradeoff for not having to use 20GB (for example) of space on your device for map/terrain data. There is a point to having the data online, where it can constantly be updated and revised, and improved, and delivered to all sorts of devices without taking up massive amounts of local storage. To gain that benefit, you pretty much have to give up some aspect of offline use.

I don't know if this works on the Pre, but on my iPhone the currently loaded map data will stick around even without the network. I've driven into an area with no service and was still able to use the maps in a limited fashion (enough to keep me from digging out a paper map). So next time, load up the data ahead of time and see if it can get you through the network blackout.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post

A message pops up stating that it is necessary to have a data connection. Looks like this won't work on the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    Hi dumb question here...

Can someone clarify the general distinction between internet and GPS use/accesibility for the Pre apps we have available?
    GPS is simply for location. There is a GPS chip in your phone that simply gives out your current coordinates. The GPS satellites don't send any data beyond a basic timestamp(as I understand it), and it is completely a 1 way communication. The actually maps have to be pulled from another source, in the most common case, Google Maps. However, it is possible to have a locally stored map, which is what devices like handheld GPS units do.

If anyone is interested in creating a GPS application with locally stored data, might I recommend OpenStreetMap.org. It is an open initiative to create a Google Maps like database with openness much like Wikipedia. There are many sources to download their entire database, and many tools to download only select parts. Using OpenStreetMap.org someone could create a program that linked up OSM.o exported data with the GPS coordinates to create a true offline GPS. However, it would be a lot harder to make it "routeable"(AKA give driving directions). That's just my 2 cents.
    GoogleMaps EULA is a gaggle of offal. Continuous recording of YOUR GPS!?

Fortunately Sprint Navigation can be coerced into giving a map. Pick Address, manually set Origin & Destination. It b----es about not finding current Origin, but Sprint will give map with Location "Services" OFF.

Red+Sym+P will Screen capture. If you need turn-by-turn, you're too dim to drive .
    Last edited by CarlKPC; 08/17/2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: too dim to spell
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    Hi dumb question here...

* Sprint Navigation
    * PreTracker
    * find MY car
    * Google Maps

They all ask me if they can use GPS "location services" before they can become funcitonal, but is that through the EVDO or some kinda GPS thingamabob?

The PreTracker for example makes a point in the GUI to connect to sattellites... that is not internet, right? Thats GPS?

So confused...
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Pre$ $like$ $other$ $devices$ $uses$ $A$-$GPS$ $or$ $assisted$ $gps$ $which$ $uses$ $cellular$ $tower$ $triangulation$ $in$ $addition$ $to$ $satellite$ $gps$ $signal$ $for$ $location$ $determination$. $The$ $cellular$ $tirangulation$ $helps$ $speed$ $up$ $the$ $fix$ $for$ $location$, $but$ $its$ $uncertain$ $whether$ $you$ $can$ $just$ $use$ $the$ $satellites$ $signals$ $and$ $turn$ $off$ $the$ $EvDO$. $I$ $know$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $hack$ $for$ $the$ $Treo$ $800w$ $that$ $did$ $this$, $but$ $it$ $took$ $forever$ $for$ $the$ $device$ $to$ $locate$ $its$ $position$. $It$ $would$ $be$ $interesting$ $though$ $if$ $some$ $one$ $could$ $make$ $such$ $a$ $hack$ $for$ $the$ $Pre$...

In regards to 3rd party maps, I don't see why there won't be those avaiable for the Pre eventually...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions