Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity would it be possible to port over the FB app from Android since it's also linux based?
    My guess would be no, but I am not a developer. The way I understand it the way that WebOS utilizes applications are based on HTML/CSS/Javascript just like a normal desktop webpage. In essence a WebOS application is just a specialized webpage that can utilize hardware in the device like the GPS/Accelerometer/etc... whereas Android doesn't use HTML standards but more conventional programming techniques.

There are Pros and Cons to both techniques. By going with HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $it$ $means$ $that$ $just$ $about$ $any$ $web$ $developer$ $can$ $create$ $a$ $native$ $app$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$ $without$ $having$ $to$ $use$ $regular$ $programming$ $languages$ $like$ $C$/$C$#/.$NET$/$etc$. $that$ $they$ $normally$ $wouldn$'$t$ $need$ $or$ $even$ $know$. $This$ $opens$ $the$ $field$ $up$ $exponentially$ $to$ $a$ $new$ $group$ $of$ $developers$. $Much$ $like$ $the$ $iPhone$ $WebApps$ $but$ $more$ $integrated$ $with$ $the$ $device$ $so$ $it$ $has$ $the$ $capabilities$ $of$ $a$ $native$ $App$ $with$ $the$ $webapp$ $development$ $structure$.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)