Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Hey guys.
    I have been seeing people change the themes of their Palm Pre by rooting their phone and changing the images to suit their theme.

I love using Photoshop and have actually gotten to the linux command thing. But after that, I'm clueless. So I just shut all that down and continue just homebrewing.

I could make many themes if there was a way to change all the photos of the homescreen and whatnot.
    So is this possible on a non-rooted Pre?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    ...or not?
    2 days and still no answers? bah.

I wanted this because I could make endless themes on photoshop. Would be nice for people to customize it.

But I'm guessing with no response it can't be done.
    Sounds great man lets see if we can make this work..
    I am looking at this. I will try my best to create a theme changer app, but I need to know the directory structure a little better and how the apps are created better. I've complete the HelloWorld app. I'm working on it guys.

Kedar,

I would like to work with you, once I am done. I would like to create the app with your photoshop work in mind.
    Thank You!!! Don't want to root cuz if something ever goes wrong my insurance may not cover it.
    With that said, I would be very pleased with color changes on my keypad, launcher etc.
    Good luck workin' it all out guys. Anxiously waiting...
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    I made quite a few themes and I have been talkin with another member.. He HAS created an installer and is just refining it currently... Here is a video he posted of his installer
    Imageshack - prethemer

I will be modifying all of my themes to fit his installer format

Though you would like to know
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    when will this be avalible??
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruth09 View Post
    when will this be avalible??
    The member who is developing this installer is also creating a website where the themes will be stored...

He is working on the website and the installer.... I was told that it would be about a week till it is functional.

Full functionality probably wont be for a couple weeks... I have to reformat all of my themes to work with his installer/website

Another issue is that the .css and .jsjsjs $files$ $may$ $not$ $be$ $included$ $at$ $first$
    right on. ill be looking around for all of that stuff.
    this theme changer looks excellent. i cant wait to see it come out!

Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    Thank You!!! Don't want to root cuz if something ever goes wrong my insurance may not cover it.
    With that said, I would be very pleased with color changes on my keypad, launcher etc.
    Good luck workin' it all out guys. Anxiously waiting...
    Um, "rooting" your phone is no different to installing a custom theme in the eyes of Sprint. Both are making modifications that are not supported by Palm or Sprint. Either Sprint will react or both, or react to neither.

To much misinformation about "rooting" is proliferated in these forums. People just assume it's like iPhone jailbreaking, when it is completely different (it uses techniques that Palm actually document on their developer site).

Just use the WebOS Doctor to wipe the phone clean before talking to Palm or Sprint - you should do this anyway to preserve your own privacy.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    The member who is developing this installer is also creating a website where the themes will be stored...

He is working on the website and the installer.... I was told that it would be about a week till it is functional.

Full functionality probably wont be for a couple weeks... I have to reformat all of my themes to work with his installer/website

Another issue is that the .css and .jsjsjs $files$ $may$ $not$ $be$ $included$ $at$ $first$
    The WebOS Internals team is also working with the member that madolen is referring to, and helping him to format the ipkg files and an open standard ipkg feed such that you will be able to use any advanced homebrew installer (like WebOS Quick Install or Preware) to install and uninstall themes, as well as a future special-purpose application that will use the same package format but have additional theme-specific features that you wouldn't expect to find in a normal installer app (like previewing themes, etc).

We're hoping to include themes and patches in a future release of Application:Preware - WebOS Internals ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Outstanding work guys keep it up!!! let me know if you need any help
    link?
    It's not finished yet. He's still coding it from what I understand.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    how awesome is this?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm so down for this when its available. I'm a horror movie buff and would love a good zombie or movie monsters theme.

Or star wars. I'd settle.
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    I made quite a few themes and I have been talkin with another member.. He HAS created an installer and is just refining it currently... Here is a video he posted of his installer
    Imageshack - prethemer

I will be modifying all of my themes to fit his installer format

Though you would like to know
    I have been getting into the theme world as well quite heavily. I started with a bunch of color themes and now I am getting into the actual category themes. I have about 5 that are very close to completion. Could you get me the name of the other user that you are referring to so that I can format my themes to his app because it will surely be a huge hit.