Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I did it yesterday and was quite nervous to do it but all the downloads went the way they were supposed to and now I can download all the apps I want. Get over the nervousness of doing it, and you will be happy that you did. I know I am.
    I think the home brew guide is lengthy but easy for me at least.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I am also very frustrated.. I have no idea what I'm trying to download, whats good, and whats not good. Im sooo lost. I tried doing the whole webOS installer and that stinks, cant get it to work. can anyone help..?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The homebrew is both rediculously easy and impossibly hard, it depends on you're operating system.

Personally I had an impossible time with vista basic 64. So much so that I had to go back to a restore pont twice. So I pulled my old xp pro laptop out and it took 10 minutes.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I have vista. I just cant figure out what I'm doing wrong..I get to step 4 and i enter in the link thing and press Install! and an error thing pops up.

I think I'm doing this right but where do you get the IPK things from.. everyone says there jsut dragging and droping the file into the webOS installer and I can't drag and drop it in.. maybe im not even getting the right link (or IPK???) in the first place?? please help!!
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Homebrew install is heasy has pie once you get filecoaster installed. One question, how do you uninstall a homebrew app?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Uninstalling is easy; from any Launcher page, tap on the Launcher drop down in the top left corner. There's an item called 'See all apps' or something like that. If you tap that, it should show you a list of all apps. Tap on the one you want to delete, and it should give you the option to delete it.

I am surprised at all of the trouble people are having downloading homebrew now that WebOS Quick Install and File Coaster are out. I have set it up on Vista 32 bit and XP, and it's been no problem at all. I suppose it might be more difficult if you are running Vista 64 bit, but if you are, I would imagine you're somewhat of a power user... if not, why are you running a 64 bit OS? I have no idea what the experience is like for a Mac user...

If you are running Vista 32 or XP, all you need to do is:

1) make sure you have the latest java installed
    http://www.java.com/en/
    There's a big blue button that says 'Free Java download'-- just click it!

2) Download and install WebOS Quick install-- just like any other program install. Yes, it will need to install Novacom and WebOS Doctor, but it's set up to do everything automatically, and relatively painlessly.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ll-v1-0-a.html

3) Download the ipks for File Coaster and the Dev Mode Switcher apps

4) After that, put your Pre into Dev Mode (you know, using the Konami Code), wait for it to restart, plug it into your computer using usb, and select 'just charge'

5) Use WebOS quick install to install the two apps.

That's it! File Coaster can then handle every other homebrew install out there, really simply.

Hope that clarifies some things for a few of the confused.
    Last edited by cderekg72; 08/10/2009 at 09:43 AM.
    I gotta agree. I much preferred the old instructions using the SDK and the palm-install.bat

For some reason the WebOS Quick Install jar will not even open on my XP pro computer. Its like .jar files are not registered to open with any application.

I have no problem at all installing homebrews with the SDK.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I gotta agree. I much preferred the old instructions using the SDK and the palm-install.bat

For some reason the WebOS Quick Install jar will not even open on my XP pro computer. Its like .jar files are not registered to open with any application.

I have no problem at all installing homebrews with the SDK.
    Not trying to jump in on this thread too much, but if you comp incorrectly identifies .jar files, that could be a worse issue than you think. A java reinstall should fix that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Not trying to jump in on this thread too much, but if you comp incorrectly identifies .jar files, that could be a worse issue than you think. A java reinstall should fix that.
    Well your post got me thinking so I took a look at the file hosted on Precentral for quick installer program and it seems that when it downloads to XP it is simply named "WebOSQuickInstall.download" once you rename it to "WebOSQuickInstall.jar" it runs fine.

Perhaps someone should fix this so that everyone does not have issues with this.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    It was a bit confusing for me to. But I just took my time read step for step and was able to successfully install homebrew apps.

Good luck
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    1) DL + Install SDK (SDK requires Java, Safari, Virtual Box)
    2) DL + Install WebOS Quick Install
    3) Put Pre into Developer Mode
    4) Plug in Pre, Set to Charge
    5) Add any programs to WebOS Quick Intall
    6) Done!

PS) File Coaster is a great program
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cderekg72 View Post
    Uninstalling is easy; from any Launcher page, tap on the Launcher drop down in the top left corner. There's an item called 'See all apps' or something like that. If you tap that, it should show you a list of all apps. Tap on the one you want to delete, and it should give you the option to delete it.
    Thanks, I kept trying to drag the app off the screen.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Ok, guys my frustration keeps getting bigger:
    I went to dowload some more homebrew apps and since I already have the phone on Developer Mode. I download the app I want in ipk and drag into the installer. I get the DOS screen saying to hit enter to install. I do and it says successfull but nothing installs...PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by dleon3406 View Post
    Ok I just installed onto my pc the Quick Install. The guy who posted it said not to run the WebOSDoctor as it could reset my phone to the factory settings but when I double click the Quick Install it says that in order to run the QI properly it needs to run the WebOSDoctor.....ahhhhhhh!!!! Are the homebrew apps really worth all this HASSLE?!!!!!!
    Yup...
    I'd like to know where you find these Homebrew apps. and why do we have to go else where for apps? Why doesn't the Pre already have them? And why aren't the ones from Centro and Trio compatible? I bought this phone with the impression they were available. Nothing was said about all this "stuff" to install them, which I have never done and am not sure it's even legal. I am not a phone guru so I need HELP!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by witchell View Post
    I'd like to know where you find these Homebrew apps. and why do we have to go else where for apps? Why doesn't the Pre already have them? And why aren't the ones from Centro and Trio compatible? I bought this phone with the impression they were available. Nothing was said about all this "stuff" to install them, which I have never done and am not sure it's even legal. I am not a phone guru so I need HELP!!!!
    A tiny bit of searching would have given you all the info you needed. Ther is a dedicated Homebrew forum after all with all of the info necessary stickied to the top.

The App Catalog is still in Beta, meaning they are still testing the system and getting it fully setup for a full release including pricing models and payment systems. The Homebrew community are user-made applications that either can't get into the App Store due to licensing issues (like the My Tether app) , or possibly Palm hasn't approved them to be distributed widely through to all Pre users for some reason unknown at the moment but may be simply they are trying to keep it small right noe for testing and implementation, or it could be that they have not been submitted to Palm for inclusion in the regular App Catalog. There are any number of reasons for this really.

There is nothing illegal about Rooting your Pre, or enabling developer mode and using fileCoaster to download Homebrew apps from the device. Some Apps require skirting the edges like My Tether, but that's neither here nor there. Just about every other Homebrew app is simply a regular App that just hasn't been given the green light for the App Catalog yet. The License Agreement for app development says that they can be side-loaded (meaning manually installed versus going through the App Catalog) as long as they are still in a "testing" mode. So in essence any Homebrew app would necessarily have to always be a beta version so as not to violate this. It really isn't an issue for using the app, but more a definition type of thing for legal coverage.

Palm OS applications (like what the Treo and Centro line used) can be used in an emulation mode through Classic available from the App Catalog. The Pre runs Palm's new WebOS platform and it does not natively support older Palm OS applications, it is an entirely new architecture.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    im having some issues with this. i went to WebOSQuickInstall.jar but im never able to get it to download. i keep getting a "problem loading page" error. is there any other way to get this file?
    I feel like if you find the homebrew install a hassle...the Pre itself is probably too complicated to use.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I feel like if you find the homebrew install a hassle...the Pre itself is probably too complicated to use.
    I enjoy the whole geek thing but being one isn't in anyway necessary to use and enjoy the Pre.

I did it (installed file coaster), I love it (having the home brew apps) - but it's not for everybody.

Besides, after downloading the first few, I ended up needing more launcher pages - and this is slightly scary hacking. I'm getting to the point where it would be really nice also have smaller icons for more apps per page (6 launcher pages isn't nearly enough...)

Hopefully someone will do a PC-side app (say an extended Webos quick installer) that applies quilt patches - but I don't think I have the patience to wait for it.

To the original poster I'd say don't sweat it - look around for a more experienced Pre user to help you out. Everybody starts as a newbie, no matter how much we try to hide it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast