Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I was so depressed today . I got an email from Palm saying: "NEW PALM PRE APPLICATIONS" but they are all old ones (Where, Pandora, Fandango). I mean come on!!! Those are not new apps! I am really starting to miss my Treo 755p....
    I'm with ya brotha! Thank god for homebrew. If I was palm, I would be really embarreased that my customers only option for increasing the usefullness of their phones was to hack into the phones and download homemade (still quality though) software.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Palm is up to something. Just wait.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    So how does the homebrew apps work. I mean I am not that Techy and I dont know if I will download the homebrew app right to where it wont mess up my phone. I am very weary of any homebrew apps. Is it safe? Can I trust it wont damage, slow down or ruin my phone? I am seriously considering going back to my Treo 755p. I had a lot of stuff on it that was neat that I dont have now on the Pre. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Palm is up to something. Just wait.
    I agree. I got that today and was initially disappointed, but think about it... This is the 1st email ad campaign that highlights add on apps specifically, and nothing else. Would they do that if they knew it was gonna be "stuck" on 30 or 32 apps?

Maybe I'm just an optomist, but I gotta believe something's gonna change in the app catalog/store pretty soon. *fingers crossed*
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dleon3406 View Post
    So how does the homebrew apps work. I mean I am not that Techy and I dont know if I will download the homebrew app right to where it wont mess up my phone. I am very weary of any homebrew apps. Is it safe? Can I trust it wont damage, slow down or ruin my phone? I am seriously considering going back to my Treo 755p. I had a lot of stuff on it that was neat that I dont have now on the Pre. Any suggestions?
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. From what i see, all the homebrew apps are safe. But when it comes to rooting your phone, then you have to be careful!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    What is ROOTING? This is what gets me I am not meant for these beta apps, I need something I can just click to download. Palm is taking forever but I WILL NEVER MOVE TO AN IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    well rooting simply means gaining access to the ROOT files of the pre so you can customize the theme/files on your own. There isn't something out as of yet that does it all for you. What you can do now is go to the homebrew section and find out the way to put homebrew apps onto your pre. Give it some time and im sure there will be a GUI based program that always have root access , allowing for simply customizations (in a safe way of course)

Filecoaster is another great example of a GUI based app in the works. This is the beginning stages of development. It all takes time. I'm amazed as to how many people developed all these homebrew apps already! and it hasn't even been 2 months!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    most of the apps dont call for your phone to be rooted.
    and its not that bad of a process root it once and install filecoaster then turn dev mode off and just use filecoaster from then on
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    You don't have to root your phone at all. There is a painless how-to in the homebrew apps forum. I've installed dozens of the homebrew apps without incident. My favs are PrePod (podcast rss reader) and GolfPinFinder (guess what it does)
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    props