Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i think there is an issue with the sprint nav servers, I work at a sprint store, and we had at least 7 people come in yesterday saying their sprint navigation failed to get a lock, and including me thats 8. Google maps would still pinpoint you, and going to the interactive tests under more info would still give you your coordinates. I think sprint nav is the culprit
    Quote Originally Posted by jchboy View Post
    the ##gps#isnt working on my phone.. do you do it at universal search?
    Dial it, you don't even have to hit send after you hit the last # it will pop up.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinejag View Post
    Dial it, you don't even have to hit send after you hit the last # it will pop up.
    Maybe jchboy missed that it's ##GPS# from the phone dial pad, not the qwerty keyboard. It's REALLY ##477#

Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I had this happen the oyher day as well. After a time I just said screw it and tried to reboot. Wow. Great. It was working then. The only problem was that I had already arrived at my destination.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yes, seems like a restart would work, at least for me. good thing this is a software problem, cause i thought something is wrong with my GPS chip and would have to argue with palm to use warranty.

details..
    the whole time, when i test the phone with location, when i dont really need sprint to work. the app works perfectly. just now i was going somewhere and i need the gps, IT DOESNT WORK.

I used both device info test and ##477# and it got gps location but sprint nav didnt work. I had to turn off the phone (with power button, not take out battery) Then it works, but it takes like 3 minutes to turn off and on the phone, that's not acceptable.

the whole time i have Ev with 2-3 bars before and after restart.
    Aarrghh... happened to me too last night. Fortunately I had a reasonably good idea of which direction to go. To reboot the phone I would've had to pull over and park for a few minutes.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I have to reboot almost everytime I want to use Sprint Navigator. VERY frustrating.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Still it is good to know that you can make it work by rebooting. Same thing happened to me and I am happy to find the answer here. I am sure this will be sorted out on a subsequent update.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I think it was something in the last Palm update that messed Sprint Navigation up. I used it without any problems before then. After the update I'm now having the same problem as others have posted here. Rebooting the Pre is only thing that fixes it for me.

I, too, hope Palm fixes this in the next update.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    I just got a new Palm Pre two weeks ago. I love the phone and the email/calendar/contacts integration but... the Sprint Navigation does not work much. It just says it can't find my current location. I put it side by side with my son's Blackberry (sprint navigation), an IPhone, and my Garmin Nuvi. Everything could navigate just fine except my Palm Pre.

So... I went back to the Sprint store. Must be a bad GPS chip they said, and gave me a new phone. The new phone navigated its way home for me ok. After using the phone a few days however, it now acts like the original phone. Can't find current location. Never finds current location. I read that rebooting the phone might help, so I did that. It did work at first but then starting saying "Weak GPS reception" or something like that. Meanwhile my Garmin was perfectly happy navigating along, and there was my son navigating just fine with his Blackberry and Sprint Navigation.

So what's wrong with the Pre?

The navigation is a must and can't really justify the phone cost if I can't rely on it. Anyone hear anything about a fix? I think I only have 30 days for a return.

OH... The phone updated itself to a new Operating system release overnight. I'm wondering if the OS has any bearing?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUser2311 View Post
    I just got a new Palm Pre two weeks ago. I love the phone and the email/calendar/contacts integration but... the Sprint Navigation does not work much. It just says it can't find my current location. I put it side by side with my son's Blackberry (sprint navigation), an IPhone, and my Garmin Nuvi. Everything could navigate just fine except my Palm Pre.

So... I went back to the Sprint store. Must be a bad GPS chip they said, and gave me a new phone. The new phone navigated its way home for me ok. After using the phone a few days however, it now acts like the original phone. Can't find current location. Never finds current location. I read that rebooting the phone might help, so I did that. It did work at first but then starting saying "Weak GPS reception" or something like that. Meanwhile my Garmin was perfectly happy navigating along, and there was my son navigating just fine with his Blackberry and Sprint Navigation.

So what's wrong with the Pre?

The navigation is a must and can't really justify the phone cost if I can't rely on it. Anyone hear anything about a fix? I think I only have 30 days for a return.

OH... The phone updated itself to a new Operating system release overnight. I'm wondering if the OS has any bearing?
    Sorry update wont help.. We are all having the same issues with GPS..
    Sure it will be fixed soon tho..
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    I've had this before and after the WebOS update. ##gps# has never helped at all for me, but doing a simple reset (accessed through the "device info" choice on the launcher) has always worked for me.

It's definitely not a a GPS access issue, before the failure happens, GPS is always working great, but cuts out about 30 seconds after starting. I've had it happen under blue sky on a flat plain alongside two stand-alone GPS units (one of which is a bottom-basement low cost unit) that got superb signals with no hesitation whatsoever.

I do hope this gets fixed QUICK--Since I can't rely on it, it Sprint Navigation is worse than useless for me. So I ignore the availability of Sprint Navigation and carry a separate GPS unit anyway.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

I've had this before and after the WebOS update. ##gps# has never helped at all for me, but doing a simple reset (accessed through the "device info" choice on the launcher) has always worked for me.

It's definitely not a a GPS access issue, before the failure happens, GPS is always working great, but cuts out about 30 seconds after starting. I've had it happen under blue sky on a flat plain alongside two stand-alone GPS units (one of which is a bottom-basement low cost unit) that got superb signals with no hesitation whatsoever.

I do hope this gets fixed QUICK--Since I can't rely on it, it Sprint Navigation is worse than useless for me. So I ignore the availability of Sprint Navigation and carry a separate GPS unit anyway.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I turned off Background Data Collection in Location Services and Sprint Navigation has been working without problems for three days! Hopefully it is not just a coincidence.
    Last edited by Sambo41; 09/03/2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Aside from the obligatory me-too and the yet-another-anecdote (arrived at destination before Sprint Navigation decided to start routing)...

I found that even after I rebooted Sprint Navigation failed to get a lock. On the other hand, Google Maps had no problem!

But, what I did find to work was after the reboot enabling Airplane Mode and disabling Airplane Mode somehow got SN to find the phone again.

So:
    1 -- Try ##GPS#. See if SN finds a lock.
    2 -- If not, Enter Airplane Mode, Exit Airplane mode. See if SN finds a lock.
    3 -- If not, Power Off, Power On. See if SN finds a lock.
    4 -- if not, Enter Airplane Mode, Exit Airplane mode. See if SN finds a lock.
    5 -- Curse loudly, Pull over, and "do it by hand with Google Maps".

I've found that while throwing the phone as many yards as you can really feels good the second u throw it, it doesn't feel so good when it hits the ground.
    Is everyone still having this problem? Mine IMMEDIATELY says that it can't find my location. It's not even trying!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Yes, my phone is still having problems with Sprint Navigation.

We should all customer support to complain about this. I called them today and asked if they have ever heard anything about Sprint Navigation working incorrectly on the Palm Pre. The representative looked into some document with "Known Issues for certain phones" and he told me that he was NOT aware there was an issue. Then, he transferred me over to technical support and I asked the same question. She has NEVER heard anything about it either and proceeded to transfer me over to a Advanced Technical Support who asked if I had auto-locate and GPS on (which I do have those on). Apparently, she has NEVER heard of it either!

Moral of the story is: If we want to get this issue noticed, we should CALL CUSTOMER SUPPORT and get our voices heard!

EDIT: Next, I got transferred to Palm Customer Support next, and told him about the Sprint Navigation issue. I told him about how there are a lot of people on the Internet complaining about Sprint Navigation not working properly on Palm Pre and the possibility that it has something to do with update 1.3.1. He put me on hold as he looked at his sheet of known issues. He gets back on the line, then he asks me for my serial number, and he tells me that this issues isn't in his document of known issues. He also told me that he talked with his manager who suggested to transfer me to Sprint Advanced Technical Support (I just talked to them before this). I knew it was just going to be a runaround situation so I just hung up.
    Last edited by clockw0rk; 12/13/2009 at 12:12 PM.
    I have been sooooo freakin' frustrated with this issue. It has gotten worse and worse to the point that the last ~10 times I've tried to use Sprint Navigation it hasn't worked at all. I had some luck for a while with the ##GPS# trick but not any more. lately it didn't matter if I completely restarted the Pre or not. It would just never work any more.

So I called Sprint customer service, explained the issue and the support guy looked something up, told me he was going to push something out to my phone and told me to pull the battery from my Pre for 1 minute (after we ended the call of course). I was driving at the time and didn't get a chance to doe it right away. Then I noticed a message on my phone stating something about a PRL update. I got a chance to pull the battery after that and.....

It has worked all the time - every time - ever since. It has only been two days but it has been really nice to have it working again.

I don't know how a PRL update would fix the GPS issue or if maybe they were able to push something else out to my phone as well - but whatever they did, it seems to be working.

If it stops working again in a few days, I'll come back and update this thread but otherwise, maybe there is hope for resolution to this issue.
    It's still working for me today.
    Still working after a week. I really don't know what they pushed out to me but whatever it was, it worked.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast