Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    I like this app, since I have ADHD, I forget things a lot so this really helps when the wife gives me a list of items to get. I think it would be really cool if I could enter an items one time and it would store them in a database and then the next shopping trip I would just pick and choose from that data base, and if there was a new item, I would just enter that item. I don't know about the rest of you, but for my wife and I, about every two weeks, we cycle through the same items. So an app like I just described would be killer. Anyways, that's just MHO.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Hi,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I did not mean auto-complete. What I meant was that if I'm shopping, and I want to check off eggs, I don't need to scroll through the list to find the unchecked entry. I can type an "e", and a "g", and the list will display items with "eg" in them.

Is that coming down the road?

Thanks,

-JerryG
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Hi,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I did not mean auto-complete. What I meant was that if I'm shopping, and I want to check off eggs, I don't need to scroll through the list to find the unchecked entry. I can type an "e", and a "g", and the list will display items with "eg" in them.

Is that coming down the road?

Thanks,

-JerryG
    I see what your saying. Something like a filter? So, when you start typing while in your list it will narrow the items based on what you are typing?

I never thought of that. That's a good idea! Added to the todo list!

Thanks a lot JerryG!
    I dunno if this has been discussed but one thing that bugs me(no pun intended) is that say I have a list with 5 items
    Milk
    Eggs
    Flour
    Soda
    Cereal
    I find everything except for the soda so I check everything else off and plan to pick up soda later. But when I swipe back it still shows I have 5 items in my list when really it should show only one since I picked everything else up. Is there a plan to fix this?
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I dunno if this has been discussed but one thing that bugs me(no pun intended) is that say I have a list with 5 items
    Milk
    Eggs
    Flour
    Soda
    Cereal
    I find everything except for the soda so I check everything else off and plan to pick up soda later. But when I swipe back it still shows I have 5 items in my list when really it should show only one since I picked everything else up. Is there a plan to fix this?
    Yes. I believe the items screen should be partitioned off into to areas: items and cart.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Apps View Post
    I see what your saying. Something like a filter? So, when you start typing while in your list it will narrow the items based on what you are typing?

I never thought of that. That's a good idea! Added to the todo list!

Thanks a lot JerryG!
    You´re most welcome. I can´t take credit for the idea, though. It´s how HandyShopper, by Chris Antos works. Thanks to him, and Greg Gaub, for support services! Mucho kudos to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HandyShopper for Windows Mobile and Palm OS
    The HandyShopper Wiki : HomePage

FWIW, when you check off an item in HS, it´s no longer shown on the screen. You can toggle the ¨All/Need¨ switch, to see only what you still need to purchase (Need), or unchecked, checked, and ¨reset¨ (weren´t needed this trip) items (All).

Regards,

-JerryG
    Thanks for working on this essential app. I have been using HandyShopper on PalmOS for over 10 years. The functionality there has been honed and is as ideal as I can imagine. If you take HandyShopper as a source of great ideas, you can take advantage of all that experience with a large user base. Chris Antos has stated that he has no plans to port to WebOS, and anyone else is welcome to.

Alan
    Thanks so much for this application. I'm thrilled to see how much more is available through homebrew apps than through Apps Catalog.

I'll have to admit, however, to being a bit confused at first as to how this app was intended to be used. Items in a shopping list have three states: don't need, need, and need but already have (in cart). When modeling this with only two-state controls, there are basically two models you can employ: temporary lists, where for each shopping trip you start with a blank list and add the items you need, checking them off as you pick them up, and clearing the list at the end, or a permanent list, where you build a list of all the items you might normally buy and then for each shopping trip, check off the ones you need, which will be the only ones shown as you are shopping.

The current version of Shopping List seems to have characteristics of both.

On the one hand, items on the list stay on the list (my preference), so I can build a list of all my normal items and then just mark those I need this trip. This is also the only model in which price and aisle properties make sense, since you wouldn't want to re-enter them each time you need to go shopping.

However, when at the store, I see all the items, not just the ones I need (unless I set the sort by status mode). So if I sort by aisle, I will be scrolling through a whole bunch of items I don't need to get to the one or two that I do. Also, the total cost at the top shows the total cost for all items I normally buy there, not just for the ones I'm buying there this trip. These characteristics fit in more with the temporary list model.

A previous poster suggested dual checkboxes for each item, but I think that that would make the nice clean interface too crowded. Therefore, I would like to offer my suggestions for combining the two models. I think these would be relatively easy to implement.

1. Make the default quantity for new items 0, rather then 1.
    2. When you check an item (to indicate that you need it), along with setting the checkbox, set the item's quantity to 1.
    3. Add a filter setting to show all items in the list, or just those with quantity > 0. To keep from increasing the number of settings available, maybe "sort by -- Reset" should show all items and sort the list alphabetically (probably the order I'd want when making out my shopping list), while all the other sorts should only show those items with a positive quantity.
    4. The reset button should clear all the checkboxes and also reset all item quantities to zero.
    How's the next update coming?
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

Love the app, was wondering if anyone is considering creating an app similar to dvdprofiler or collectorz. Lots of people like myself are huge movie & game collectors and find it hard to remember if we have already bought a particular movie/game. Having a catalog that allows us to carry a list of owned movies/games on the pre would be a huge help.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I have a list of 103 items. As I was preparing to go shopping I began checking off the items I need. When I got down into the 'C's a problem started where when I check an item the list goes blank. If I scroll up or down on that empty area for a few seconds, the list comes back into view. If I check another item, the list goes blank, and I have to rinse-and-repeat. Having it happen on every item takes this beyond 'nuisance' level. If I exit the app and come back in, the problem remains. This is on v0.2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    I have a list of 103 items. As I was preparing to go shopping I began checking off the items I need. When I got down into the 'C's a problem started where when I check an item the list goes blank. If I scroll up or down on that empty area for a few seconds, the list comes back into view. If I check another item, the list goes blank, and I have to rinse-and-repeat. Having it happen on every item takes this beyond 'nuisance' level. If I exit the app and come back in, the problem remains. This is on v0.2.0.
    This happened to me also. I sat down and created my shopping list and by the time I got to the second isle, I had to put it away and pray that I could remember everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by floridadomer View Post
    This happened to me also. I sat down and created my shopping list and by the time I got to the second isle, I had to put it away and pray that I could remember everything.
    +1
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by quotequad View Post
    Thanks so much for this application. I'm thrilled to see how much more is available through homebrew apps than through Apps Catalog.

I'll have to admit, however, to being a bit confused at first as to how this app was intended to be used. Items in a shopping list have three states: don't need, need, and need but already have (in cart). When modeling this with only two-state controls, there are basically two models you can employ: temporary lists, where for each shopping trip you start with a blank list and add the items you need, checking them off as you pick them up, and clearing the list at the end, or a permanent list, where you build a list of all the items you might normally buy and then for each shopping trip, check off the ones you need, which will be the only ones shown as you are shopping.

The current version of Shopping List seems to have characteristics of both.

On the one hand, items on the list stay on the list (my preference), so I can build a list of all my normal items and then just mark those I need this trip. This is also the only model in which price and aisle properties make sense, since you wouldn't want to re-enter them each time you need to go shopping.

However, when at the store, I see all the items, not just the ones I need (unless I set the sort by status mode). So if I sort by aisle, I will be scrolling through a whole bunch of items I don't need to get to the one or two that I do. Also, the total cost at the top shows the total cost for all items I normally buy there, not just for the ones I'm buying there this trip. These characteristics fit in more with the temporary list model.

A previous poster suggested dual checkboxes for each item, but I think that that would make the nice clean interface too crowded. Therefore, I would like to offer my suggestions for combining the two models. I think these would be relatively easy to implement.

1. Make the default quantity for new items 0, rather then 1.
    2. When you check an item (to indicate that you need it), along with setting the checkbox, set the item's quantity to 1.
    3. Add a filter setting to show all items in the list, or just those with quantity > 0. To keep from increasing the number of settings available, maybe "sort by -- Reset" should show all items and sort the list alphabetically (probably the order I'd want when making out my shopping list), while all the other sorts should only show those items with a positive quantity.
    4. The reset button should clear all the checkboxes and also reset all item quantities to zero.
    Wow, thanks so much for this exceptional feedback quotequad! I can't thank you enough!

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm currently cleaning up the interface and redoing the program flow. I like the idea of employing temporary and permanent lists. I will definitely look into this.

Thanks again, and I will definitely look into all your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    How's the next update coming?
    The next update will hopefully be around 9/4.

Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    Sorry about this serious bug and thanks for pointing this out. This will be fixed in the next version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Apps View Post
    Wow, thanks so much for this exceptional feedback quotequad! I can't thank you enough!

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I'm currently cleaning up the interface and redoing the program flow. I like the idea of employing temporary and permanent lists. I will definitely look into this.

Thanks again, and I will definitely look into all your suggestions!

The next update will hopefully be around 9/4.

I just have to say thank you for working so hard at getting the done right. Take your time because this is a great tool.

Wow, just read that you are going to try and implement what I wanted. A way to keep a 'permanent shopping list' and then the list of what you need on a particular 'shopping trip list'. And then to say what we ended up with and what we still need because the store did not have the item (rain check item).

Thanks!

Rob

PS I don't remember if I donated to you or not, I have try and see if I did, if I didn't I will make a donation.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Wow, just read that you are going to try and implement what I wanted. A way to keep a 'permanent shopping list' and then the list of what you need on a particular 'shopping trip list'. And then to say what we ended up with and what we still need because the store did not have the item (rain check item).

Thanks!

Rob

PS I don't remember if I donated to you or not, I have try and see if I did, if I didn't I will make a donation.
    Donate again its def. Worth it!!
  18.    #158  
    New features were added to the todo list for v0.2.5 so this pushed the date back to 9/9. Patience is a virtue!
    Checked out the updated features list - looks like it's worth waiting for!
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alangant View Post
    Thanks for working on this essential app. I have been using HandyShopper on PalmOS for over 10 years. The functionality there has been honed and is as ideal as I can imagine. If you take HandyShopper as a source of great ideas, you can take advantage of all that experience with a large user base. Chris Antos has stated that he has no plans to port to WebOS, and anyone else is welcome to.

Alan
    +1
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast