Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Love this simple app! It too the point and easy to use. Right now all I want to say is thank you!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Loving the progress you're making...can't wait to see this app mature.

Here are my suggestions:
    1) Add common grocery list items (bread, milk, etc) so you can just choose the item instead of typing it every time.
    2) Add sortable categories. i.e. frozen foods, produce, grains, dairy, etc
    3) Add units. i.e. kg, lbs, box, package
    4) Add price as an option when you put an item into your cart. For example, I put on my list that I want bread but I have no idea how much it costs. I get to the grocery store, I pick up bread, put the checkmark that I've added it to the cart and it prompts for a price (optional). The price is then added to the running total and also is stored with the item for future reference.

Here is how my wife and I use shopping lists, just to give a possible scenario. As we run out of items or build menus for the next week we add items to the shopping list for the week. We don't know the prices of the items at the time of adding the items. We organize the items by category so we can be efficient (i.e. We put all dairy products together. This is similar to aisles but a little more intuitive and is transferable to all grocery stores). When we put the item in our cart we add the price of the item to the current running tally so we will know that we don't go over our set limit for the week.

Anyway, I find this a very efficient method of shopping and think some other people probably follow similar methods, which aren't currently supported by this app (but it's getting close!). I'm sure you've thought of these and some of them are on your to-do list but thought I might just try to help you out with my suggestions. Keep up the good work!
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by margitc View Post
    Thanks for the new version!

I like the no prices option - it's less cluttered not to see prices if I'm not using them.
    I think it looks a little nicer, more professional, than I remember from the earlier version.
    The reset is almost as good as the template feature I was looking for. It still would be nice to be able to copy the list before I use it, but I'll be patient.

I noticed a few things that seemed a bit awkward to me - not bugs per se - just little things:

Aisles - I can't use letters for aisles, which seems strange since my current items all have 'no aisle' in the field. I can type letters into the field but they're not saved. I was trying to use letters to indicate the non-aisle sections of the store (outer edges). I ended up using 3-digit numbers instead so it's not a big deal.

Edit/Add - It's a bit awkward to have to go out of edit mode to add a new item. Would be nice to have the add feature active in edit mode as well.

Quantity - My first thought was that if I didn't enter an optional quantity number, then I didin't want to see it. Then I realized that if I had prices entered, it would need a quantity to multiply by, so I guess I can live with them. Could the display of quantity numbers be turned off if the list is set not to use prices? Or, even, better, if the list is set not to use prices and no quantity is enter, not display anything?

Thanks again for your work. The games are fun (and necessary) but it's nice to have an app that is actually useful!

Now if only my grocery store would finish remodeling so I could figure out where the aisles are!.
    Thanks a lot for this detailed feedback! Template lists will definitely make there way into version 0.3.

Aisles - I totally made the mistake of only allowing for numerical aisles; I forgot aisles can have letters and words in them. Doh! I will definitely include this in a patch or future version!

Edit/Add - Yeah, I will enable the add button when you are in edit mode. I'm not sure why I did that in the first place

Quantity - The quantity will default to 1 if you don't specify a quantity. So, how about the quantity is hidden if it equals 1?

Thanks again for your feedback and praise! You, the user, shape the way this app turns out!
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Loving the progress you're making...can't wait to see this app mature.

Here are my suggestions:
    1) Add common grocery list items (bread, milk, etc) so you can just choose the item instead of typing it every time.
    2) Add sortable categories. i.e. frozen foods, produce, grains, dairy, etc
    3) Add units. i.e. kg, lbs, box, package
    4) Add price as an option when you put an item into your cart. For example, I put on my list that I want bread but I have no idea how much it costs. I get to the grocery store, I pick up bread, put the checkmark that I've added it to the cart and it prompts for a price (optional). The price is then added to the running total and also is stored with the item for future reference.

Here is how my wife and I use shopping lists, just to give a possible scenario. As we run out of items or build menus for the next week we add items to the shopping list for the week. We don't know the prices of the items at the time of adding the items. We organize the items by category so we can be efficient (i.e. We put all dairy products together. This is similar to aisles but a little more intuitive and is transferable to all grocery stores). When we put the item in our cart we add the price of the item to the current running tally so we will know that we don't go over our set limit for the week.

Anyway, I find this a very efficient method of shopping and think some other people probably follow similar methods, which aren't currently supported by this app (but it's getting close!). I'm sure you've thought of these and some of them are on your to-do list but thought I might just try to help you out with my suggestions. Keep up the good work!
    Wow! Thank you so much for this awesome feedback! You rock!

Common Grocery Items - there are plans to implement this feature and it will make adding items even more of a breeze.

Sortable Categories - this is something I didn't think of and thank you for mentioning this. I will add this to the todo list!

Units - definitely! I will add this to the todo list!

Cart - I really like this idea. It almost seems more logical than the way I have it set up. I will look in to this and add this to the todo list!

The way you and your wife shop is the same way I shop. I think I will try and incorporate this method in to the flow of the app.

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this detailed feedback! You are what make this app become better!
    Help!!!
    For some reason this ver will not let me start a list using the letter "C" or "c"?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Just a quick note to let you know that the latest version ROCKS! Keep up the GREAT work!!!!
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by wburleson View Post
    Help!!!
    For some reason this ver will not let me start a list using the letter "C" or "c"?
    Hey there,

I tried recreating this bug on my phone but could not do so. Could you tell me what exactly you are doing? Are there any error messages?
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoApps View Post
    T
    Quantity - The quantity will default to 1 if you don't specify a quantity. So, how about the quantity is hidden if it equals 1?
    :
    Yes, that would be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by MojoApps View Post
    Template lists will definitely make there way into version 0.3.
    :

Just fwiw, here's what I think of when I think of a template. I'd like to be able to create a list and mark it with a template attribute in properties. A list marked as a template would:
    • be saved in a special out-of-the-way place (maybe a list of lists?)
      • It should be visually obvious when you are looking at the template list.
    • when you go into edit mode give you a warning that you are about to edit a template
    • have a button, probably in the template list view, that would allow you to create a non-template-attributed copy.
      • The copy would be saved with the regular lists so the user might want some feedback that this was done.
      • Might want the opportunity to rename the list.
      • Maybe just return to the regular list view - not sure if that would be inconvenient or disorienting
      • Not sure what to call the button - 'copy' might be interpreted as creating a copy including the template attribute, 'new' might be interpreted as creating a new template list, maybe the '+' button would have a different function in the template list view but that might be confusing, maybe something like a 'C' with a plus inside it to indicate a new copy, or something even more generic.

I don't really need sample lists provided in the program, though that may be what other people are thinking of by templates. I just want to create my own.

Now, if you have a website, and build in the ability to export/import lists like some have mentioned, maybe there could be a place where people could share their favorite lists. That might be a hassle, though, having to vet the lists and all. Just brainstorming there.
    Last edited by margitc; 08/22/2009 at 02:11 PM.
    I just installed Shopping List and used it today for the first time. I've been hoping for something like this.

To categorize items I set my list like this, Meat Brisket, Meat Steak, Pet cat food wet, Veg squash. Baking whole wheat flour. That way everything is grouped by where it is in the store. (my store has just moved everything and I don't know what aisles anything is on anymore).

Suggestions
    when you have your list open and begin typing could it call up the item? Now it doesn't do anything. If you type broc it could bring up broccoli for example.

Could you add to the sort menu to sort by "checked"? That way all the items I need would be grouped together and I wouldn't have to scroll through the whole list multiple times while shopping.

Bug or WebOS problem.

Often when I tap a checkbox the screen goes white, just the list name at the top and add, reset, sort by, edit buttons on the bottom. to get back to the list I have to swipe R to L and open the grocery list again. Is it something I'm doing?

Thanks. Looking forward to the evolution of your fine app!
  10.    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelone View Post
    I just installed Shopping List and used it today for the first time. I've been hoping for something like this.

To categorize items I set my list like this, Meat Brisket, Meat Steak, Pet cat food wet, Veg squash. Baking whole wheat flour. That way everything is grouped by where it is in the store. (my store has just moved everything and I don't know what aisles anything is on anymore).

Suggestions
    when you have your list open and begin typing could it call up the item? Now it doesn't do anything. If you type broc it could bring up broccoli for example.

Could you add to the sort menu to sort by "checked"? That way all the items I need would be grouped together and I wouldn't have to scroll through the whole list multiple times while shopping.

Bug or WebOS problem.

Often when I tap a checkbox the screen goes white, just the list name at the top and add, reset, sort by, edit buttons on the bottom. to get back to the list I have to swipe R to L and open the grocery list again. Is it something I'm doing?

Thanks. Looking forward to the evolution of your fine app!
    Thanks a lot for this feedback!

Categories - will definitely be making there way in to the program soon.

Autocomplete items - thanks for pointing this out. Autocompleting item names would make entering items a lot easier. I will also have a list of common items that you can select from instead of having to open the keyboard every time you add an item.

As far as the checkmark bug goes, I haven't run in to that before. Could you give me as much detail as you can to when this happens? What version of webOS do you have installed on your phone?

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thanks Mojo, this app is coming along great.
    these kodos are all great, but how do you load it to the PRE. I have downloaded it to my desktop, opened the webpage on my PRE and highlited the url but can't copy it. please help
    Quote Originally Posted by smaxva View Post
    these kodos are all great, but how do you load it to the PRE. I have downloaded it to my desktop, opened the webpage on my PRE and highlited the url but can't copy it. please help
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Love the changes! Much more user friendly. Donation sent to help fund continued improvements!
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDoc View Post
    Love the changes! Much more user friendly. Donation sent to help fund continued improvements!
    Thanks a lot RhinoDoc! Your donation is much appreciated!
    I have to ask a question:

I started using Shopping List and I think it's great (I think I even donated, if I didn't PM me).

Anyway, I made my list. I setup 'stores' and then in a store I had my list. I think that how you wanted us to use it.

Now I have my list and I think you have the check box next to each item saying that I purchased it.

But what if I want to keep a permanent list and instead of checking off what I purchased, a check box to say I need to get or I need to replace or resupply an item.

So maybe two check boxes. One for things I need to get/replace/resupply and the other box to say that I have gotten it.

And then I guess a a way to clear the check boxes.

For some reason while I'm writing this, some of this is not flowing in my mind, but I think what I need to be added, I have expressed even if it isn't totally worked out in my mind.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Hi,

Thank you very much. Version 0.2.0 is a quantum leap forward!

I may have missed this elsewhere, but will you be adding any search capabilities? Start typing while in a list, and it narrows the selection to items _containing_ the search text. The lack of search is the only thing that now keeps me using Handy Shopper within Classic.

That's a feature I'd definitely donate for. That doesn't sound like a bribe, does it?

Thanks again & regards,

-JerryG
    This app is great. I have seen a number of great suggestions for the next version, and the only thing I would add is perhaps a unit price. For example, whenever I enter an item with a price of $1.00 and a quantity of 10, it calculates $10 correctly. However, if I edit that item again (adding an aisle number at the store for instance), it recalculates again, giving a price of $100. If you edit the item, you have to re-enter the price each time. If you had a unit price that could be entered, and a total item price that was calculated only (uneditable), this would solve this issue.

Thanks for he great app, though!
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I have to ask a question:

I started using Shopping List and I think it's great (I think I even donated, if I didn't PM me).

Anyway, I made my list. I setup 'stores' and then in a store I had my list. I think that how you wanted us to use it.

Now I have my list and I think you have the check box next to each item saying that I purchased it.

But what if I want to keep a permanent list and instead of checking off what I purchased, a check box to say I need to get or I need to replace or resupply an item.

So maybe two check boxes. One for things I need to get/replace/resupply and the other box to say that I have gotten it.

And then I guess a a way to clear the check boxes.

For some reason while I'm writing this, some of this is not flowing in my mind, but I think what I need to be added, I have expressed even if it isn't totally worked out in my mind.

Rob
    I believe it is assumed that if an item is on a list then it must be something that you need to get. Then when you actually get the item, you can check it off. There is also a reset button on the bottom of the item screen that lets you reset the entire list so all the items become unchecked. Does this help you out? Maybe I'm not understanding you entirely. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Hi,

Thank you very much. Version 0.2.0 is a quantum leap forward!

I may have missed this elsewhere, but will you be adding any search capabilities? Start typing while in a list, and it narrows the selection to items _containing_ the search text. The lack of search is the only thing that now keeps me using Handy Shopper within Classic.

That's a feature I'd definitely donate for. That doesn't sound like a bribe, does it?

Thanks again & regards,

-JerryG
    Yes, auto-complete items will be an added feature in a future version of Shopping List. This will make adding items even easier and faster - which is the goal.

Bribe? Of course not!

Quote Originally Posted by rboyd11310 View Post
    This app is great. I have seen a number of great suggestions for the next version, and the only thing I would add is perhaps a unit price. For example, whenever I enter an item with a price of $1.00 and a quantity of 10, it calculates $10 correctly. However, if I edit that item again (adding an aisle number at the store for instance), it recalculates again, giving a price of $100. If you edit the item, you have to re-enter the price each time. If you had a unit price that could be entered, and a total item price that was calculated only (uneditable), this would solve this issue.

Thanks for he great app, though!
    Yes, this is a bug. When you go to edit an item, instead of showing the individual price (unit price), it is showing the total price. This will get fixed soon. Thanks for pointing this out!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Excellent beta app. Looking forward to the addition of common list items and importing. Thanks for your efforts.
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast