Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I haven't taken the time to read thru this entire thread but add me to the list of HandyShopper users who's moved over to the Pre (from a PalmOS-based Tungsten T5).

Would love to see more of the "HandyShopper" functionality integrated into Shopping List and would easily pay a small fee for such features. One thing though... I'd hope to be able to "test drive" the new features before paying for them, perhaps via a trial version or something similar.

Thanks for listening, and for being so responsive.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Robert, before the computer, people would write out a shopping list of things they needed on paper. When they went to the store and got the items, they put them in their cart and scratched them off of the list. The next time you need an item, you put it on your list...by taking it out of the cart.

Perhaps they could make it a user defined field, but it really doesn't matter as long as you get used to it one way or the other. If you click on one side, it goes to the other.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I have a suggestion. In real time usage in the store, I find myself fat fingering an item to check it off and it takes me to the edit screen of the item. It takes a concentrated effort to hit the little box. And if I miss the box the unexpected edit screen comes up. Is there a way to widen that field so that it would be easier to hit the box with a thumb while using the Pre with one hand. I think it's a bigger problem in the LIST mode, and just an inconvenience on the CART since it will do nothing if you miss.
    Robert (rlanza1054 ),

For the record, I agree with you. I think the way Mojo has delineated cart and list is confusing. But I wrote my suggestion using his descriptions as it applies to the way he's written the app. I'm just trying to learn to work with it. Perhaps he could switch to "all" and "need", which is intuitive no matter who you are.
  5.    #285  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I wrote this once before but never had a comment on it so I will ask again just in case:

I am getting myself a little confused by the terms LIST and CART.

You say that a list is something I am going to purchase that day shopping.

And a CART is something that is in the store all the time.

I pick from the CART and put it into the LIST?

If that is how it works then it makes it totally confusing to me.

A CART is is something I wheel about in the store, and I pick the items from my List (the shelf) and put the item from the shelf into the CART to the checkout counter.

To me, that makes logical sense to me.

So my question is or suggestion unless I have this all wrong, is to switch what the terms do.

The following is a copy of a paragraph from the posting above mine:

"I would then change the email/SMS button to a "checkout" button, which clears checked items from the list and puts them back in the cart. As you might have guessed, the "checkout" option is similar to Handyshopper. "

See how that sounds, someone is taking an item out of the list and putting them back into the cart?

Just doesn't sound like the real world to me.

It should be I will take an item out of my shopping cart and put it back on the shelf (or in this case the list)

Maybe list should be renamed to 'shelf'

Just a thought!

Rob

PS Or is this better, I have a LIST that I make up at home, then I go to the STORE and I pick the item from my LIST from the SHELF and put it into the CART!

So it's a LIST
    It's a SHELF
    It's a CART

No make that one more thing:

So it's a LIST - items I need all the time, my permanent list
    It's a STORE - the store I go to get an item
    It's a SHELF - the store contains these items
    It's a CART - this is what I am going to purchase today
    Quote Originally Posted by RCJH View Post
    Robert (rlanza1054 ),

For the record, I agree with you. I think the way Mojo has delineated cart and list is confusing. But I wrote my suggestion using his descriptions as it applies to the way he's written the app. I'm just trying to learn to work with it. Perhaps he could switch to "all" and "need", which is intuitive no matter who you are.
    Sorry that everything is confusing. I'm not purposely making this confusing.

When you go the store you have a List of items that you need to get. As you get items in the store, you cross them off your list and put them in your Cart.

I can see where you might be getting confused. Perhaps, you are creating lists of all items that you might need to get and then you check off an items that you need but instead they go to your cart.

I am working on adding stores which will allow you to create a master list of items associated with that store. Then when you want to create a list, you can pick which items from that store you want to get.

Quote Originally Posted by CheriePie View Post
    I haven't taken the time to read thru this entire thread but add me to the list of HandyShopper users who's moved over to the Pre (from a PalmOS-based Tungsten T5).

Would love to see more of the "HandyShopper" functionality integrated into Shopping List and would easily pay a small fee for such features. One thing though... I'd hope to be able to "test drive" the new features before paying for them, perhaps via a trial version or something similar.

Thanks for listening, and for being so responsive.
    There will be a free and paid version in the App Catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    I have a suggestion. In real time usage in the store, I find myself fat fingering an item to check it off and it takes me to the edit screen of the item. It takes a concentrated effort to hit the little box. And if I miss the box the unexpected edit screen comes up. Is there a way to widen that field so that it would be easier to hit the box with a thumb while using the Pre with one hand. I think it's a bigger problem in the LIST mode, and just an inconvenience on the CART since it will do nothing if you miss.
    I'll make the area around the checkbox area only respond to checking off an item rather than going to edit an item. Thanks for pointing this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Apps View Post
    Sorry that everything is confusing. I'm not purposely making this confusing.

When you go the store you have a List of items that you need to get. As you get items in the store, you cross them off your list and put them in your Cart.
    I see what you're saying. The only flaw with that logic is that is assumes the list only contains items that I need for your trip. In reality, the list is a running inventory of everything that I buy at the store. Of which, I only buy a subset for any one trip.

Simply put, you need an "everything" list and a "needed" list. When you get the "needed". They go back in the "everything" list. Your app will work that way if you reverse your List/Cart logic.

No worries. It's still a great app and I'm able to make it work for me. Looking forward to the updates. Especially import/export. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    what if one was to swipe a item off the list and in to the cart. So like you would swipe to clear a notification, you swipe the item in the list and it moves it to the cart and off the list. ?
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    So when's the next version coming out?

/Kevin
    I am working on adding stores which will allow you to create a master list of items associated with that store. Then when you want to create a list, you can pick which items from that store you want to get.
    i like the idea of stores in addition to the templates and looking forward to this.

I'm also looking forward to import/export (perhaps with webediting see FlashCard for Pre: FlashCards for webOS)
    I like the idea of having a LIST of household items which we normally use...This would be items which are specific to a store...when I need something, I check it and it moves to the other tab which one would think would be called "NEED" As I go throught the grocery store they come off my "NEED" list and that's its...Real simple....
    Still diggin what you are doing with this app! Keep up the great work!

This is an app I would purchase in the App Store.
  12.    #292  
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for taking a little longer to get your questions answered. I have been busy with college and work.

Quote Originally Posted by RCJH View Post
    I see what you're saying. The only flaw with that logic is that is assumes the list only contains items that I need for your trip. In reality, the list is a running inventory of everything that I buy at the store. Of which, I only buy a subset for any one trip.

Simply put, you need an "everything" list and a "needed" list. When you get the "needed". They go back in the "everything" list. Your app will work that way if you reverse your List/Cart logic.

No worries. It's still a great app and I'm able to make it work for me. Looking forward to the updates. Especially import/export. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarustx View Post
    I like the idea of having a LIST of household items which we normally use...This would be items which are specific to a store...when I need something, I check it and it moves to the other tab which one would think would be called "NEED" As I go throught the grocery store they come off my "NEED" list and that's its...Real simple....
    True. I hope to solve this by adding stores to the app. That way you can have the option to add items from stores when creating lists. I see where some of you are coming from in regards to having an "everything" list. This "everything" list would be the store's master list of items. The "needed" list would be the list that you create. The only reason there is a "cart" is so you can see the total price you're expected to pay when you checkout. The cart is also useful to see what items you have already gotten.

So, when going to create a list the process will go something like this:

Add a list
    1. Enter list information, e.g. name, enable prices, etc.
    2. Choosing items
      a. Option to choose items from a store (everything list)
      b. Option to copy items over from a template list

Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    what if one was to swipe a item off the list and in to the cart. So like you would swipe to clear a notification, you swipe the item in the list and it moves it to the cart and off the list. ?
    This isn't the way Palm intended the swipe ability to be used. When you swipe an item in a list, it should be deleted. I personally don't care but I don't want Palm to reject my app because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    So when's the next version coming out?

/Kevin
    Hopefully soon. I just have been busy with college, work, and personal life. I was hoping to get the next version out this week and submit it to Palm but it's not looking like I will. I will keep pushing forward to get the next version out. I really want to get my app into the App Catalog because I know so many people could benefit from it. I am primarily stuck on exporting/importing data to Google Docs.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    i like the idea of stores in addition to the templates and looking forward to this.

I'm also looking forward to import/export (perhaps with webediting see FlashCard for Pre: FlashCards for webOS)
    Yeah, I really want to have the option to be able to edit lists via a web app instead of using Google Docs. This will take a little bit of time. I am more worried on adding the ability to export/import your data before I release it to the App Catalog under a new name. Once I rename it, the app won't be able to import your old data using the current way - which is why I am trying to get the method of importing/exporting through Google Docs working.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crewser View Post
    it might be interesting to collect and share anonymous statistics like how many gallons of milk were purchased in a month, what the average price for a 5 lb bag of potatoes costs, etc.

Point being, there are a number of cool things you could do with data being stored "in the cloud"... Personal backup is the obvious first step, but down the road you could really build some interesting statistics if people had the option to opt out of course. Might even be able to monetize the statistical data, offer online coupons, or let users know if another user in their town found a better deal on Prime Rib at a different store.
    Even on a personal scale this information could be extremely useful. How about if the shopper application was "smart" in that it knew you use a gallon of milk, eggs or other items every month (since it sees you are adding it to your cart every 25-30 days). Then it could look at the last time you bought milk, sub today's date, and automatically add milk to your list of things to get.

Extrapolate a little further, and perhaps the Pre could remind you as this date approaches with an SMS or some other message-system that says, "It's been 23 days since you last purchased these items and you're probably running low: milk, eggs, tampons" etc. Or "you haven't purchased milk, eggs, tampons in 32 days and are critically low"

Obviously, I don't personally use tampons, but I was trying to think of something you might need on monthly period. (pun intended ) Plus you could perhaps tie in shopping items such as this with calendar entries. So a woman who normally has her Aunt Flow come to visit on a certain date (+/-) could have a repeating item setup in the shopper application so that she's not caught with her pants down so to speak. I know it sucks when my g.f. has run out of those things and sends me to the store to pick them up. I don't think there's anything a guy hates more than buying feminine products -- especially if that is ALL he has to buy in that shopping trip.
    Still using my Treo 650. Waiting for the real apps to come for Pre...
  14.    #294  
    Quote Originally Posted by DAE51D View Post
    Even on a personal scale this information could be extremely useful. How about if the shopper application was "smart" in that it knew you use a gallon of milk, eggs or other items every month (since it sees you are adding it to your cart every 25-30 days). Then it could look at the last time you bought milk, sub today's date, and automatically add milk to your list of things to get.

Extrapolate a little further, and perhaps the Pre could remind you as this date approaches with an SMS or some other message-system that says, "It's been 23 days since you last purchased these items and you're probably running low: milk, eggs, tampons" etc. Or "you haven't purchased milk, eggs, tampons in 32 days and are critically low"
    This would be a really neat feature however this would take some time to get together. I'll make a note of it and hopefully sometime down the road I can get to it.

Obviously, I don't personally use tampons, but I was trying to think of something you might need on monthly period. (pun intended ) Plus you could perhaps tie in shopping items such as this with calendar entries. So a woman who normally has her Aunt Flow come to visit on a certain date (+/-) could have a repeating item setup in the shopper application so that she's not caught with her pants down so to speak. I know it sucks when my g.f. has run out of those things and sends me to the store to pick them up. I don't think there's anything a guy hates more than buying feminine products -- especially if that is ALL he has to buy in that shopping trip.
    LOL!
    I like your app. It has huge potential & you seem to care about what users want. I've been reading the posts on templates, carts and lists to determine how best to use it.

I think maybe there are two different types of users in the discussion. One type makes a shopping list and then immediately goes and buys the stuff. For them, copying over the templates to a new list, then checking off items from the list to the cart while shopping makes sense.

Others of us add items to an evergrowing list when we notice we are running out of the item. We shop whenever we get around to it. For us, adding items one-by-one to a "Needed Items" list works best. For us the template idea doesn't work so well unless we can add items to our "Needed" list one-by-one from the template. The "Shopping Cart" and "List" concept would work for us but we would rather have them renamed "List" and "Needed" or something like that.

Some combination, maybe where people can select items, one-by-one from a variety of templates to add to a shopping list would make both types of users smile.

Thanks. i hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    +1 I think that sounds spot on.

I am of the second type -- the HandyShopper kind if you will -- one master list that I check things on/off from as they are used/purchased.
    Still using my Treo 650. Waiting for the real apps to come for Pre...
    I'm also the second type...My "need" list may take days to grow until I make it to the store..thanks for clearly defining these....
    This could be a whole separate app! "Tampon Timer" about 5 days before her aunt flow arrives, the alert goes out for a reminder to her, and you too dude.

In all seriousness I do agree that there are items that go beyond groceries that you are supposed to replace on a regular schedule... Oil changes and Water Filters come to mind right away.

Not a bad suggestion at all.
  19.    #299  
    New Version:
    v0.2.8 [10/30/2009] This version expires November 6, 2009

Final Release Candidate

• add preference to have list show item count based on items still needed
    • add preference to hide sorting dividers for items
    • select multiple template lists when creating a list
    • add note field to items
    • fixed bug with aisles not sorting "naturally"

This is the final release candidate. I think Shopping List is at a good point to be released to the App Catalog. It will remain as 'Shopping List' that way your data can be imported when you get the version from the App Catalog. I will be submitting to Palm today! I know some features you wanted are not in here yet but I will continue to work on these features. Once in the App Catalog, I will be able to submit updates to the app with new features over time.
    New Version:
    v0.2.8 [10/30/2009] This version expires November 6, 2009
    Updating now! Looking forward to the future releases with the 'stores'. Good luck getting in the app catalog!

/Kevin