Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Apps View Post
    Sorry to hear that it's not working like you would want it. I'll have to brainstorm a bit to see what I can do to accommodate users that are used to the HandyShopper method.
    Didn't mean to sound so negative. That was just the excitement of finding a HandyShopper replacement and then the letdown of discovering that it wasn't what I'd thought/hoped. I've looked at TealShopper and... whatever the other one is called, and yours looks the best, so I'm going to stick with it for now. Plus you've been super-responsive and that goes a long ways!

I'll just keep using it as-is and muddle along until I see what you come up with. I do know that there are a lot of HandyShopper users, but how many switched to the Pre, and how many care that much? I don't know. I'm surely in a pretty small minority, so I thank you for listening even though I'm probably not your average user. (Most people seem pretty darn happy.)

Keep up the good work! I'm trying to change the way I shop to fit your list. We'll see how that goes. I feel like I'm switching from playing baseball to playing golf; I'm still swinging a stick to hit a ball, but it's a big adjustment. That metaphor needs work.

/Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I never used Handy Shopper. I haven't used your shopping list yet either. However I have to say I like the idea of having store master lists, checking off what I need to go the store to buy, and then going to the store and checking off the list the items I put in to my physical cart. Once I go through the register, I should be able to mass remove the times that I just bought.

Hmm, or even better it tracks the date that I last bought an item, and based on master item preferences, can pop up on a suggestion list.

So every item in a stores master list could have preferences for how many and how often.

Regarding templates, Yes multiple adding to a list is a good idea. Since I haven't used I don't know exactly how it works yet, but you mentioned that when you create a list you can create from a template, or soon multiple templates. Once you have an existing list can you go back and add in items from an existing template? If not this would make sense. what I'm thinking is when it comes to meals, you might be meal planning, and not know all of the meals when you start the list but think of another meal to add after you created the list.

something else when it comes to using templates for meal lists. It needs to know that if you add 4 meal templates, and 2 of them call for the same ingrediant that it adds the qty needed to the list to cover all meals needing that ingrediant.
    This. All of this. haha Make it so!

/Kevin
  3.    #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I never used Handy Shopper. I haven't used your shopping list yet either. However I have to say I like the idea of having store master lists, checking off what I need to go the store to buy, and then going to the store and checking off the list the items I put in to my physical cart. Once I go through the register, I should be able to mass remove the times that I just bought.

Hmm, or even better it tracks the date that I last bought an item, and based on master item preferences, can pop up on a suggestion list.

So every item in a stores master list could have preferences for how many and how often.

Regarding templates, Yes multiple adding to a list is a good idea. Since I haven't used I don't know exactly how it works yet, but you mentioned that when you create a list you can create from a template, or soon multiple templates. Once you have an existing list can you go back and add in items from an existing template? If not this would make sense. what I'm thinking is when it comes to meals, you might be meal planning, and not know all of the meals when you start the list but think of another meal to add after you created the list.

something else when it comes to using templates for meal lists. It needs to know that if you add 4 meal templates, and 2 of them call for the same ingrediant that it adds the qty needed to the list to cover all meals needing that ingrediant.
    It's starting to make more sense to me. So, if I understand correctly, we want the option to create stores and add a collection of items to that store. Then, when creating lists, you have the option to pick items from those stores and/or just create items?

When adding a list:
    1) Pick items from a store you created
    - AND/OR -
    2) Enter items manually

I'm working on allowing the user to copy multiple templates when creating a list. It will merge items with the same name. For example, if you select 4 meal lists to copy, and 2 have garlic, the list will create one item called garlic with a quantity of (2).

I was thinking that it might be a good idea that, when editing a list, you can copy over more templates if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    Didn't mean to sound so negative. That was just the excitement of finding a HandyShopper replacement and then the letdown of discovering that it wasn't what I'd thought/hoped. I've looked at TealShopper and... whatever the other one is called, and yours looks the best, so I'm going to stick with it for now. Plus you've been super-responsive and that goes a long ways!

I'll just keep using it as-is and muddle along until I see what you come up with. I do know that there are a lot of HandyShopper users, but how many switched to the Pre, and how many care that much? I don't know. I'm surely in a pretty small minority, so I thank you for listening even though I'm probably not your average user. (Most people seem pretty darn happy.)

Keep up the good work! I'm trying to change the way I shop to fit your list. We'll see how that goes. I feel like I'm switching from playing baseball to playing golf; I'm still swinging a stick to hit a ball, but it's a big adjustment. That metaphor needs work.

/Kevin
    Thanks! I really like engaging with my followers and making sure I listen to each and everyone of them.

Check out my response for SirWill above to see if what I said fits what you are looking for.

I can see where this is like switching from baseball to golf. I'll make the transition easy for you though.
    It's starting to make more sense to me. So, if I understand correctly, we want the option to create stores and add a collection of items to that store. Then, when creating lists, you have the option to pick items from those stores and/or just create items?

When adding a list:
    - AND/OR -
    2) Enter items manually

I'm working on allowing the user to copy multiple templates when creating a list. It will merge items with the same name. For example, if you select 4 meal lists to copy, and 2 have garlic, the list will create one item called garlic with a quantity of (2).

I was thinking that it might be a good idea that, when editing a list, you can copy over more templates if you want.

Thanks! I really like engaging with my followers and making sure I listen to each and everyone of them.

Check out my response for SirWill above to see if what I said fits what you are looking for.

I can see where this is like switching from baseball to golf. I'll make the transition easy for you though.
    I think I just got teary here. Yes, your response to SirWill is spot on. I want to create stores (e.g. Wal-Mart) and have a master list of items in that store (apples, tomatoes, TV dinner, milk, wheat bread, white bread, etc.) and then each week go through that list and check the items I need that week.

So if you combined that with all these other ideas, I think your app would pretty much justify the entire purchase of the Pre. Seriously.

If I could check off a few meals that I'd setup, and then go through the 'master list' (for lack of a better name) and check off the rest of the stuff I need for the week, that would be beyond awesome.

/Kevin

P.S. Sending a donation your way! And of course I'll be buying it once it's a paid app. To heck with my cheapness!
  5.    #265  
    I think I just got teary here. Yes, your response to SirWill is spot on. I want to create stores (e.g. Wal-Mart) and have a master list of items in that store (apples, tomatoes, TV dinner, milk, wheat bread, white bread, etc.) and then each week go through that list and check the items I need that week.

So if you combined that with all these other ideas, I think your app would pretty much justify the entire purchase of the Pre. Seriously.

If I could check off a few meals that I'd setup, and then go through the 'master list' (for lack of a better name) and check off the rest of the stuff I need for the week, that would be beyond awesome.

/Kevin

P.S. Sending a donation your way! And of course I'll be buying it once it's a paid app. To heck with my cheapness!
    Awesome! Thank you for your donation. Now that I understand what you were talking about I will add it to the to-do list and start working on it!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

When adding a list:
    - AND/OR -
    2) Enter items manually

Sounds great. However I have to say if you create lists, and have Store lists as a separate list, then you could easily have Meal as a separate item too. But Yeah, I'm liking what you are doing and thinking.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    I'm liking the way this app is currently developing. My only gripe about the move from my Centro to my Pre is the loss of the ability to use my PC as an extension of my calender/Notes/Memos and SplashShopper. It was handy to sit at my PC and edit my shopping lists and have those updates show up on my phone after a sync...

Keep up the great work and hopefully someone can also think of a way to extend this app onto my PC so that I can edit the lists from both phone or computer.
  8.    #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarustx View Post
    I'm liking the way this app is currently developing. My only gripe about the move from my Centro to my Pre is the loss of the ability to use my PC as an extension of my calender/Notes/Memos and SplashShopper. It was handy to sit at my PC and edit my shopping lists and have those updates show up on my phone after a sync...

Keep up the great work and hopefully someone can also think of a way to extend this app onto my PC so that I can edit the lists from both phone or computer.
    I have plans on creating a web app that will allow you to sync your shopping lists with your phone. That way you can sync your lists from anywhere.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Adding coupons has been added to the to-do list.

Thanks!! It's wonderful that you take everyone's suggestions (no matter how small) & really try to incorporate them into your app. Shopping List is really making the Pre worth the money to me. Keep up the wonderful work.
    As a long time HandyShopper user I've been waiting for a webOS based shopping list program to come along that was good enough to replace HandyShopper via Classic. It looks like yours is getting close, good work!

However there is one piece of the puzzle that is essential for me and I'm surprised no one has requested it yet. Let me explain the function and why I find it essential.

Function: items associated with multiple stores, with store specific pricing and aisles.

Here's how I use HandyShopper: I have one giant list of grocery items and six local grocery stores. When it's time to go to the store, I check off all the items I need. Because HS allows for items to be associated with multiple stores, with store specific pricing, HS can tell me which store to go to in order to pay the least amount of money. Each week the "chosen" store changes depending on what I need to purchase. Once I'm at the chosen store, the items are sorted by aisle for easy shopping.

Good Luck with your app's development. It'll be an easy purchase for me if you could incorporate the above functionality.

MRH
    I have plans on creating a web app that will allow you to sync your shopping lists with your phone. That way you can sync your lists from anywhere.
    That would be a nice feature.

It could even be as simple as allowing someone to import a list from a csv or xml file located at a user specified URL. That would allow people who already run home servers to manage their own data and not contribute to Mojo Apps' network bill. Provide an input file template for these advanced users and let them have at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMike View Post
    Here's how I use HandyShopper: I have one giant list of grocery items and six local grocery stores. When it's time to go to the store, I check off all the items I need. Because HS allows for items to be associated with multiple stores, with store specific pricing, HS can tell me which store to go to in order to pay the least amount of money. Each week the "chosen" store changes depending on what I need to purchase. Once I'm at the chosen store, the items are sorted by aisle for easy shopping.

I guess I never used that functionality in HandyShopper, but it sounds cool.

How did it work if some items were more expensive one place but other items were also cheaper at that same place? It totaled it all and gave you the cheapest overall price?

I got pretty lax with HS and stopped updating prices after a long time of doing so. It seemed like I wasn't actually 'using' the prices for any purpose other than to say to myself each week 'Dammit, that was 7 cents cheaper last week'. But if it had a purpose of actually comparing between, say, Wal*Mart and Kroger, that would be pretty nice. I guess prices just seem to fluctuate so often (weekly, even) that it would be almost impossible to keep up a price list for multiple stores without visiting each store all the time and getting the prices of everything you buy. That would be so time consuming as to not be worth the money saved.

/Kevin
    How did it work if some items were more expensive one place but other items were also cheaper at that same place? It totaled it all and gave you the cheapest overall price?
    Yep, that's exactly what it would do. A great tool.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    One small item regarding sales tax: It would be great if I could turn sales tax on or every item in a list at the same time rather than doing it one-by-one. If there is already a way to do this, I haven't found it yet.

Love the idea of the master list. I have a list for ever store I go to. There are certain things I buy at Sam's Club - tp, paper towels, cat food - that I wouldn't buy at a grocery store. So far I have just checked off the things I am getting at that store and left those I don't need unchecked, but a master list I could pull items off of for individual shopping trips would be ideal.

Love the recipie list idea. Not only would this make shopping easier but it would make dinner much easier at the end of a long work day. Heck, you could market this app as "Healthy Shopper" and boast about your "tools for healthier living" and make a killing!! Of course, people will want you to start adding calorie counters...

Even as is, this is $5 well donated and, based on your responsiveness in these forums, it will be worth buying again when it hits the catalog.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I guess I'm the only one that just wants a list that I can put items on and check off as I get them. I pretty much know which aisle the steaks are in. I don't go to Home Depot for grapes and ketchup, nor do I go to Walmart for sheetrock or PVC pipe.

I'm not trying to bash anyone with a complex lifestyle where e-mailing and templates are a convenience. I live a very simple life.

I have a suggestion. How about not letting the current version expire and then develop a complex version with a price tag. Maybe a lite and full version?
  16.    #276  
    It just dawned on me that I can use Google Docs to import/export your data. This is what I will use for the time being that way you will have your data backed up somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMike View Post
    As a long time HandyShopper user I've been waiting for a webOS based shopping list program to come along that was good enough to replace HandyShopper via Classic. It looks like yours is getting close, good work!

However there is one piece of the puzzle that is essential for me and I'm surprised no one has requested it yet. Let me explain the function and why I find it essential.

Function: items associated with multiple stores, with store specific pricing and aisles.

Good Luck with your app's development. It'll be an easy purchase for me if you could incorporate the above functionality.

MRH
    This is a nice feature. I will add this to the to-do list. Thanks for mentioning this!

Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    One small item regarding sales tax: It would be great if I could turn sales tax on or every item in a list at the same time rather than doing it one-by-one. If there is already a way to do this, I haven't found it yet.

Love the idea of the master list. I have a list for ever store I go to. There are certain things I buy at Sam's Club - tp, paper towels, cat food - that I wouldn't buy at a grocery store. So far I have just checked off the things I am getting at that store and left those I don't need unchecked, but a master list I could pull items off of for individual shopping trips would be ideal.

Love the recipie list idea. Not only would this make shopping easier but it would make dinner much easier at the end of a long work day. Heck, you could market this app as "Healthy Shopper" and boast about your "tools for healthier living" and make a killing!! Of course, people will want you to start adding calorie counters...

Even as is, this is $5 well donated and, based on your responsiveness in these forums, it will be worth buying again when it hits the catalog.
    I can add a feature to toggle tax for all items within a list. Thanks for mentioning this!

Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    I guess I'm the only one that just wants a list that I can put items on and check off as I get them. I pretty much know which aisle the steaks are in. I don't go to Home Depot for grapes and ketchup, nor do I go to Walmart for sheetrock or PVC pipe.

I'm not trying to bash anyone with a complex lifestyle where e-mailing and templates are a convenience. I live a very simple life.

I have a suggestion. How about not letting the current version expire and then develop a complex version with a price tag. Maybe a lite and full version?
    The reason I have an expiration date is because this app is to be used for testing only. I have a feeling I will have to extend the expiration date anyway. I will be releasing both a free and paid version of the app in the App Catalog, so no worries there!
    Love the google docs idea and it makes a lot of cents (sorry couldn't help the pun!)

it might be interesting to collect and share anonymous statistics like how many gallons of milk were purchased in a month, what the average price for a 5 lb bag of potatoes costs, etc. kind of useless to most of us, but i'll try to explain why i think there would be value...

Keep in mind, i'm not saying that that i want big brother watching what i'm eating, but Tivo and others collect and make available usage data and they use the data to help Nielsen ratings, etc. They even could tell how many people rewound the Janet Jackson Super Bowl wardrobe "malfunction"...

Point being, there are a number of cool things you could do with data being stored "in the cloud"... Personal backup is the obvious first step, but down the road you could really build some interesting statistics if people had the option to opt out of course. Might even be able to monetize the statistical data, offer online coupons, or let users know if another user in their town found a better deal on Prime Rib at a different store.

Keep up the great work. I too am happy i donated and look forward to buying the app in the app store when its ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post

Hello,
    I used Splashshopper. I had 3 separate lists...One for the Grocery Store like HEB or Jewel or Super Walmart, another list for Home Depot/Lowes and a third list for Sams/Costco. Grocery items from HEB and Sams were pretty similar but there was some customization for either store...

In anycase, there's an ALL tab which has everything listed for that specific list. I can import/export stuff from my ALL tab...

When you clicked on an item in the "All" tab, it appeared on the "Need" tab. When I went to the store, I clicked on the need tab and I conveniently had all the items I needed listed...I could sort by isle or by type of food - Canned, Meat, Dairy or Fruit/Veggie - you get the point. This was convenient. I don't care what isle things are in, just group dairy together so I can get my dairy stuff while I'm there....

Ok..So I unchecked them as a went along...Any items on my need list at the end of my shopping spree stayed on there until my next shopping time..

I guess regardless of how the app looks, I just need that handy pc interface since I used to use the Splash Shopper desktop app to generate my grocery list.

Thanks!
    Rod
    SMS/email and "Checkout" suggestion:

Mojo, The SMS/email function works well. Thanks for adding that. I have a suggestion for enhancing this feature. The scenario is this. I keep a running list of "grocery items" that we need. Some of these we buy at Costo, some at the grocery store (I just put all grocery items in the same list for simplicity). So let's say I currently have 5 Costco and 5 grocery store items in my list and the wife calls to see if I want anything while she's at Costco. So instead of texting everything in my list, I just want to text the 5 things we buy at Costco. To do that, I have to check off the non-Costco items, send the text, then put the Costco items back in my list, which means I have to remember and hunt for those items in my cart.

So the suggestion is to have an option for checking, but not clearing items in the list. Then the email/SMS feature would have to have an option for sending checked/unchecked/all items. Since this creates 6 potential scenarios, I'd recommend putting that feature in the menu since it's not a frequent need.

I would then change the email/SMS button to a "checkout" button, which clears checked items from the list and puts them back in the cart. As you might have guessed, the "checkout" option is similar to Handyshopper.

Anxiously awaiting new updates. Keep up the good work.
    I wrote this once before but never had a comment on it so I will ask again just in case:

I am getting myself a little confused by the terms LIST and CART.

You say that a list is something I am going to purchase that day shopping.

And a CART is something that is in the store all the time.

I pick from the CART and put it into the LIST?

If that is how it works then it makes it totally confusing to me.

A CART is is something I wheel about in the store, and I pick the items from my List (the shelf) and put the item from the shelf into the CART to the checkout counter.

To me, that makes logical sense to me.

So my question is or suggestion unless I have this all wrong, is to switch what the terms do.

The following is a copy of a paragraph from the posting above mine:

"I would then change the email/SMS button to a "checkout" button, which clears checked items from the list and puts them back in the cart. As you might have guessed, the "checkout" option is similar to Handyshopper. "

See how that sounds, someone is taking an item out of the list and putting them back into the cart?

Just doesn't sound like the real world to me.

It should be I will take an item out of my shopping cart and put it back on the shelf (or in this case the list)

Maybe list should be renamed to 'shelf'

Just a thought!

Rob

PS Or is this better, I have a LIST that I make up at home, then I go to the STORE and I pick the item from my LIST from the SHELF and put it into the CART!

So it's a LIST
    It's a SHELF
    It's a CART

No make that one more thing:

So it's a LIST - items I need all the time, my permanent list
    It's a STORE - the store I go to get an item
    It's a SHELF - the store contains these items
    It's a CART - this is what I am going to purchase today
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 10/24/2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650