Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    The new update for Pocket Mirror says it is a seven-day trial, but nowhere in the app catalog or on the developer's Web site does it say anything about what it costs after those seven days. I haven't updated mine yet because I don't want to use it if it is going to be crazy expensive.

    Those who did upgrade, did it list a price?
  2. #2  
    For other platforms, Pocket Mirror is $29.95 for the basic version, and $49.95 for the advanced version. Since basic is all that's available for the Pre so far, I'd assume it will be $29.95. I'm just guessing, though, obviously.
  3. jeking's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #3  
    I noticed that 7 day trial note as well. I did upgrade but found no mention of it in the program.
  4. akram's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #4  
    I am just wondering!!! why do we have to pay to save and manage our phone book,calendar. etc
    should this program comes free with the phone???
    One of things I hate about PRE
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by akram116 View Post
    I am just wondering!!! why do we have to pay to save and manage our phone book,calendar. etc
    should this program comes free with the phone???
    One of things I hate about PRE
    Uh, you don't have to pay to save or manage your info. It syncs with Google, Facebook, and other online services for free. You only have to pay if you want it to sync directly with Outlook in particular.

    Syncing indirectly with Outlook is also totally free. Just set Outlook and your Pre both to sync with Google. Again, you only pay if you want/need direct access to Outlook from the Pre, which most people don't.

    Paying for direct Outlook sync is a fact of life whether you're using WebOS, PalmOS, Windows Mobile, or (to a lesser degree) iPhone. Even Blackberry requires a paid third party app for certain sync functions with Outlook. Ditto for Symbian. So if you hate the Pre for this reason, then you must hate virtually all phones.


    Also, just so you know, there are lots of us who have our reasons to avoid Outlook like the plague, yet we still manage our PIM data just fine. We don't pay a dime to do it. There's no reason you can't do the same.


    In any case, if you think Pocket Mirror should come free with the Pre, take it up with Chupura. It's their software. They can do as they please with it.
    Last edited by ABBlockhead; 08/02/2009 at 12:07 AM.
  6. #6  
    Since you seem to be taking the condescending tone with your reply, I'll give it back to you, in defense of akram116 (who probably doesn't need my defending).

    Uh, you don't have to pay to save or manage your info. It syncs with Google, Facebook, and other online services for free.

    If you have read the majority of posts about syncing data, you would know that most of us are looking for a 100% effective solution to having our data in two places. I "sync" my Outlook calendar with Google calendar but would not give up Outlook due to its overwhelming functionality compared to Google.

    Paying for direct Outlook sync is a fact of life whether you're using WebOS, PalmOS, Windows Mobile, or (to a lesser degree) iPhone.

    Uh, maybe you shouldn't post at 1:02am. You're either tired or cranky or both. I have a Palm Centro and before that a Treo 650 and before that a Sony Clie. I have never paid for direct syncing between Outlook and Palm OS. One touch Hot Sync is all it takes.

    The bottom line is that for whatever "plague-related" reasons you avoid Outlook(you mentioned none), that's fine. However, like it or not, Outlook is currently the de facto desktop-based PIM for tens of thousands of businesses worldwide(not Google or Facebook, in spite of what every 17 year-old may think). For Palm to be so short-sighted as to imagine that all of these users were going to migrate to the "cloud" instantly, just because they bought this phone, was unrealistic. I am a little bit more technically inclined than the average person so, while I have not fully embraced "cloud" computing, I have warmed up to it. Palm should not have expected that the vast majority of their loyal users would be willing or able to do the same.

    It is fun to experiment and learn new things with new devices. But, as a small business owner, I can't lose time trying to find contacts and their information. I will have fun and experiment with other applications, games, skins, etc.

    Overall, Palm's lack of attention to some very basic palmOS functionality now has them scrambling to compensate. How do I know? It might be the survey phone call I received yesterday asking about my experiences with my now-returned Pre. (Yes, I bought it on launch day). The representative confirmed that among her respondents, the number one issue was syncing.
  7. akram's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #7  
    First of all thank you for comment

    I used to have samsung instinct before I got Pre, I was sync my contact thru sprint.com account and that 2 ways sync, why can't palm doing same things since we have profile with them and that's is 1 way sync???
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    Since you seem to be taking the condescending tone with your reply, I'll give it back to you, in defense of akram116 (who probably doesn't need my defending).
    Any interpretation of condescension is yours, and yours alone. None was meant. Next time, instead of assuming, how about simply asking?

    I take it your reaction was to my use of the word "uh", at the beginning of my first sentence. I can see how that could have been misinterpreted. The tone it was meant to represent was the same way one might say "Uh, Waiter..." or "Uh, excuse me, Miss, but I was hoping you could tell me..." It absolutely was not meant to meant to mean "Uh, you're an *****," or anything like that.

    So relax. It's all good.

    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    If you have read the majority of posts about syncing data, you would know that most of us are looking for a 100% effective solution to having our data in two places. I "sync" my Outlook calendar with Google calendar but would not give up Outlook due to its overwhelming functionality compared to Google.
    Slow down. Who said anything about giving up Outlook? I explained not just one, but two different methods for how to use it WITH the Pre, one paid, and one free. How does that even remotely imply giving it up?

    As for your "100% effective solution", that's exactly what Pocket Mirror is intended to be. That's why thousands of people all over the world use it every single day, on all kinds of devices, the Pre included. So where's the problem?


    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    Uh, maybe you shouldn't post at 1:02am. You're either tired or cranky or both.
    There you go assuming again. I was neither, actually. You would do well to take a good look inward, and see your own interpretations for what they are. Telling others what they're feeling, based on nothing more than a few easily misinterpreted words on a forum, is a bit of leap, don't you think? Or is it your goal simply to incite argument where none actually exists?

    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    I have a Palm Centro and before that a Treo 650 and before that a Sony Clie. I have never paid for direct syncing between Outlook and Palm OS. One touch Hot Sync is all it takes.
    Forgive me if any of my information was outdated. Upon looking further into it, it seems Palm Hotsync support was added directly to Outlook in recent years. As I said, I don't use Outlook, so I'm not up to date with all its current capabilities.

    Back when I used to sell and support Palm products, Pocket Mirror was a must if you wanted to sync with Outlook. I thought that that was still the case. My apologies if I was wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    The bottom line is that for whatever "plague-related" reasons you avoid Outlook(you mentioned none), that's fine. However, like it or not, Outlook is currently the de facto desktop-based PIM for tens of thousands of businesses worldwide(not Google or Facebook, in spite of what every 17 year-old may think).
    That was never in dispute. Of course Outlook is popular. So is Internet Explorer. So are a lot of things that have viable alternatives.

    Look, the post to which I was replying had implied that it is impossible to manage PIM data without Outlook, which is simply not true. My only point in response was simply to illustrate that it is not only possible, but some even prefer it. Outlook is just one fish, albeit a big one, in a very large sea. There are a great many options. Pointing that out doesn't say anything good, bad, or otherwise, about Outlook itself.

    If you like Outlook, great. You're certainly not alone. I hope it continues to serve you well for many years to come.


    For what it's worth, my reason for not stating why I don't use Outlook was simple. Had I done it, I have no doubt that this thread would have turned a corner into an argument about whether Outlook is good or bad. For every reason I stated, someone would jump up to refute it, and then someone else would refute that, and so on, and so on. People tend to get possessive of their toys when it comes to software, as I'm sure you well know. Since I don't want to go down that road, I choose to keep my reasons to myself for the time being. All I will say is I do have them.

    If you really want to know what they are, perhaps some day we can discuss it more thoroughly in the Off-Topic forum. Such a discussion would have nothing to do with the Pre, after all, so it certainly wouldn't belong here.


    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    For Palm to be so short-sighted as to imagine that all of these users were going to migrate to the "cloud" instantly, just because they bought this phone, was unrealistic.
    I don't think they imagined that, or expected it in any way. For whatever reason, they simply decided to get out of the desktop conduit business, and I can't say I blame them. They've left it to third parties like Chapura, who can specialize more effectively.

    Given the choice, I'd much rather Palm focus on making WebOS as good as it possibly can be than scatter their resources by also worrying about keeping a Hotsync manager working with every last Windows & OSX update. Let's not forget, Palm's previous business model eventually failed. It makes much better business sense for desktop sync conduits to be the domain of third parties. Palm's much better off being a one-trick pony.

    It's a very sensible model to let application developers determine how and whether to connect their apps to WebOS, rather than for Palm to try to make WebOS connect to every relevant app. I hope you can understand what I mean by that.

    All of this is a separate issue, though, from whether or not Pocket Mirror should cost money. If you've got a problem with its pricing, then as I said, take it up with Chupura. Again, it's their software; they can do what they want with it.


    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    I am a little bit more technically inclined than the average person so, while I have not fully embraced "cloud" computing, I have warmed up to it. Palm should not have expected that the vast majority of their loyal users would be willing or able to do the same.
    Actually, I think the opposite is true. The less tech-savvy a person is, the more likely they probably are to embrace the cloud. After all, it's a lot simpler just to plug in your E-mail address and let it do its thing than it is to install a Hotsync manager, determine what should sync with what for every application, install all the necessary plugins to make the whole thing work, and keep it all up to date.


    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    It is fun to experiment and learn new things with new devices. But, as a small business owner, I can't lose time trying to find contacts and their information. I will have fun and experiment with other applications, games, skins, etc.
    From one small business owner to another then, I'll repeat that I've had no problem keeping all my PIM data straight, without Outlook, for many, many years. Again, I'm not trying to say Outlook is bad. I just have a problem with these kind of "business people can't possibly do without it" implications. We all can, and many of us do.


    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    Overall, Palm's lack of attention to some very basic palmOS functionality now has them scrambling to compensate. How do I know? It might be the survey phone call I received yesterday asking about my experiences with my now-returned Pre. (Yes, I bought it on launch day). The representative confirmed that among her respondents, the number one issue was syncing.
    Wait a minute, you're saying you don't have a Pre, you just used one for a while and then returned it, but somehow you feel you're presently qualified to be having this discussion? If you're not using a thing, it doesn't take long before your memory of what it WAS like becomes very different from what it actually IS like, whether your memory is accurate or not.

    In any case, it's not surprising that people who feel attached to older "sync at every turn" methodology wouldn't like the Pre. In that regard, anyone who bought the Pre, expecting it to behave like an older Palm device, simply didn't do their research. Remember that leaked Palm/Sprint memo that talked about the importance of not selling the Pre to the wrong customers? Well, this is one of the things its authors were likely talking about. You buy a Pre if you're ready to embrace the way the Pre is designed to work. If you want a different paradigm, go with a different device.

    For my own part, after having used PalmOS devices daily for the past 15 years or so, I feel liberated by no longer having to bother with syncing. While I certainly wouldn't want to do everything on the cloud, I am absolutely loving what the Pre does use it for.

    What you said about "like it or not" in regard to Outlook, I'll now turn right back around for you, and offer you the following advice. Like it or not, cloud computing for PIM data is the way the world is evolving. You can continue to keep your data local if that's what you're comfortable with, but if that's all you do, you'll be missing out on some amazing conveniences and advances. All it takes to get onboard is simply to be willing to let go a little. Again, the cloud certainly isn't the answer to everything, but it does do a heck of a lot for you, if you just let it.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by akram116 View Post
    First of all thank you for comment

    I used to have samsung instinct before I got Pre, I was sync my contact thru sprint.com account and that 2 ways sync, why can't palm doing same things since we have profile with them and that's is 1 way sync???
    Good question. I wondered that as well when I first got my Pre. Within a few minutes, I'd switched Google to be my default account, though, and just as quickly forgot about it.

    Whatever the reason, the Palm profile exists for backup purposes only, and that's that. Since there are other options for 2-way sync, we don't need it do any more.
  10. #10  
    I did interpret the "uh" in your post to be of the kind in your second example and I accept that you say that was not the case. That "uh" led me to believe that your whole post had taken on a certain tone. I see from your detailed and thoughtful explanation, that was not true.

    Unfortunately, I did not know about the Palm/Sprint "memo" about legacy users until after I had purchased the phone. Like I said, I warmed up to the "cloud", but I need to be hot right away for the sake of the amount of business I transact using the phone. I returned the phone after a little more than 2 weeks, so the memory of it's use has not faded that much, as a matter of fact, I regret that my own learning curve was so limited at that time and that I had to return the phone. It was a hard decision.

    You outlined many good points and since you seem to know more about alternate PIMs than I do, may I ask you how to get Google contacts to update newly entered contacts from Outlook, the way Google calendar updates new events from the Outlook calendar?

    Thanks again for the thoughtful response, minus flame.
  11. #11  
    so this program costs money before they even release the trial for the PC

    whats the best program to sync outlook right now? cuz pocket mirror doesnt seem to sync both ways and doesnt copy profile contacts
  12. #12  
    I heard back from Chapura after e-mailing them about pricing:

    "PocketMirror for the Pre will cost $29.95. It should be available for
    purchase sometime this week."
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    so this program costs money before they even release the trial for the PC
    Not sure where you've been, but the PocketMirror app has been available as a beta trial since the Pre launch week. There is a SyncManger that you install on your PC to go along with the Pre app. It's been that way all along.

    I've been using it successfully since it was first released with only one real issue that they fixed in a subsequent update. Their support team has been very responsive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    whats the best program to sync outlook right now? cuz pocket mirror doesnt seem to sync both ways and doesnt copy profile contacts
    As far as I know, PocketMirror is the only app solution that doesn't require syncing to the "cloud" or via Google. It does in fact sync both ways between the Pre and Outlook. It does so by creating an Outlook Profile/Account on the Pre. It does NOT combine or consolidate any of the other Accounts on the Pre into Outlook (thankfully). I would guess that it is for a reason and I for one would not want it to do that anyway.
    Last edited by WoodWulf; 08/03/2009 at 04:27 PM.
  14. Spazo's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    #14  
    So, it's asking me to start my 7 day trial... who is staying with Pocket Mirror or switching to a different program?
  15. #15  
    I'm staying unless someone has another non-cloud option. We shouldn't have to go through Google to get our info on the device. Besides, I've had very good luck with KeySuite for my 700p and Chapura has always been very responsive on the support side.

    As much as I would prefer they create KeySuite for the Pre, I trust (hope) that PocketMirror will get the features we need sooner rather than later, i.e. tasks and notes sync.
  16. Kamen's Avatar
    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #16  
    Personally $29,95 for an app is a bit much and I think they are being a bit too greedy. I can't see myself paying more than $10.00 just to directly sync Outlook with my Pre even though it should have been a free feature built in to the phone to begin with.
  17. #17  
    Google is fine for me and have had no problems syncing. It may take some effort to learn all the features and their use but so did Outlook when I first started using it. "Life is change, how it differs from the rocks." (J.Airplane)
  18. Kamen's Avatar
    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #18  
    Does anyone have any other good alternatives that are free for syncing your Outlook contacts and calendar with your Pre?

    For me $29.95 is a bit too pricey just to sync contacts and my calender. I know Chupura is working on having Pocket Mirror sync your tasks and notes, but until they can have it fully functional with every feature of Outlook, I can't justify paying that much for a program that does less then half of what it should be doing.
  19. #19  
    I kept the earlier beta version of pocketmirror on my phone when i saw that the update was only a 7 day trial, and at that time nothing on the app catalog or Chapura site to indicate what the price would be (their site now shows the outrageous $29.99). So the next time I tried to sync pocketmirror accessed my outbound internet, connect to chapura and was converted to a 7 day trial, even though I have not downloaded the updated beta version which discloses the 7 day trial. Seems to me that this "network hacking" by the device because I did not authorize it to seek my outbound connection to the internet and device / software hacking on Chapura's part for accessing and altering a program on my OWNED device without my prior knowledge or permission. Hopefully the PUC will promptly advise both Sprint and Palm to remove the app catalog until it properly advises users of the true pricing before they download any applications.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post

    As much as I would prefer they create KeySuite for the Pre, I trust (hope) that PocketMirror will get the features we need sooner rather than later, i.e. tasks and notes sync.
    I find the fact that Chapura left out syncing of tasks and notes to be very troubling. Is there any product out there that will sync those files? I wonder if Palm somehow doesn't provide any method to get to that data. Paying $30 for a program that only does half of what hotsync provides seems more than a little excessive. I'm not one who things every app should be $10 or less, but if I'm going to pay $30 for an app I expect it to be complete and fully featured, not half-a$$ed and incomplete.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions