Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I really want a Pre, but there is no Sprint EVDO in my area (State College, PA). If I get one, I will be on 1xRTT or roaming all the time when I'm away from WiFi (most of the time). I realize that data will be slow, but I'm trying to figure out what apps simply won't work. Specifically I'm wondering about Pandora and Sprint Nav.

For Pandora it's just a question of bandwidth, I think. I can get 100 kbps on 1xRTT while roaming...will that cut it?

Sprint Nav is a little more complicated: (a) does it work while roaming? (b) is 1x fast enough, or is EVDO necessary?
    For Sprint Nav, I have found that I can only start Sprint Nav if I am not in roaming mode. However, I can usually still track while roaming, as long as I don't turn off Sprint Nav. For example, I was able to use Sprint Nav all the way to Yosemite National Park from San Francisco. I was in roaming mode from after Oakdale to the Big Oak Flats Entrance, but was still able to use Sprint Nav. Once I turned off my Pre (to take a break), I was unable to start Sprint Nav until I was in a non-roaming zone.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Makes sure you've turned data roaming on. I think it's turned off by default. Pandora should work at least. I don't know if Sprint Nav will though.
    Here in LA there is virtually no sprint 3g coverage. My pre roams to VZM 3g for 90% of its use. I have had zero issues with any app/function not working on roaming. I'm able to use navigation, pandora, sprint tv, etc.

The only thing that does not work is the shotcut extensions to sprint customer service.

As for pandora on 1x, I've found as long as the signal is good you'll have to wait for a couple minutes for the first song to buffer but after that your listening will be fine as long as you dont skip tracks.

Now if only there was a way to do roaming only without rooting, I could have vzw 3g all the time.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info, guys, it's definitely very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vteclipsegs View Post
    Here in LA there is virtually no sprint 3g coverage. My pre roams to VZM 3g for 90% of its use. I have had zero issues with any app/function not working on roaming. I'm able to use navigation, pandora, sprint tv, etc.

vteclipsegs, I guess that you must be picking up the EVDO roaming from the Alltel towers that have been bought up by Verizon? I sure wish that Sprint had an overall EVDO roaming policy with Verizon because then my problems would be solved! Unfortunately, Alltel doesn't (didn't) exist in my area, either, so no 3G roaming for me.