Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yaniv79 View Post
    Wow! not in the app store. hmmmm, I bet its web based. Yeah, the tab at the top tells me its just a web app. not bad though.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Damn 10 bucks? They better lower that price!!!
    or.....
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    They have a trial version. I just tried to use it. Seems that you can only call SkypeOut numbers and not Skype clients running on a PC. It looks nice for a web app running on a mobile device but a native app would still be much better. I hate having to type in small text fields.
    Hey don where did you get the ipk to try out the app?
    It's not an app. It's just a web based service connection so there is no ipk.
    posted a message about this being available a few weeks back. I was told that "regular" IM+ (non-skype version) for all message systems is coming soon.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I tried to use it but get stuck on the connecting screen? Anyone else have the same issue? I didn't see anything in their FAQ's or support section.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    good stuff
    awesome
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    It starts to dial but gets stuck, anyone get it to work?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Has never worked for me. Never get through the connection process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Damn 10 bucks? They better lower that price!!!
    Sigh. The iPhone generation.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Well assuming this works, this is pretty incredible for a couple of reasons:

1. VoIP calls are allowed over 3G - (apple won't even allow google voice which uses the cell network)
    2. The web browser is technically capable of utilizing the mic / speaker in order to make a phone call.

Pretty cool. This a great sign of things to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaeight View Post
    Well assuming this works, this is pretty incredible for a couple of reasons:

1. VoIP calls are allowed over 3G - (apple won't even allow google voice which uses the cell network)
    2. The web browser is technically capable of utilizing the mic / speaker in order to make a phone call.

Pretty cool. This a great sign of things to come.
    No, it's just chat and if it even lets you call it will be via Skype Out credit over a their 800 number.

The reason it's a webapp is most likely because the Skype API is only accessible via a Skype client executable that you have to install as part of your app. As we know we can't run anything yet on webOS so it had to go on a server.

Too bad it doesn't work because it looks pretty slick.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I guess don't fully understand skype. Isn't skypeout their service to connect their voip network to real phone numbers?

What makes you say it will use the 800 number? Is this how other mobile skype apps work?
    Quote Originally Posted by skaeight View Post
    I guess don't fully understand skype. Isn't skypeout their service to connect their voip network to real phone numbers?

What makes you say it will use the 800 number? Is this how other mobile skype apps work?
    You buy Skype Out credit if you need to call overseas. Then you can use it either via a Skype client, that is VoIP, or dial a toll free number. Whether or not the call is free depends on the destination.

Some Skype mobile apps can use VoIP, for example on the iPhone but only when on WiFi. Others dial the toll free number, for example the SkypeLite app on Android. Both of these are probably due to carrier restrictions.

There is no way to capture voice and transmit it over IP on the Pre, there is no networking or audio API, so it will have to dial the toll free number (and use minutes of course.)

I was explaining that in order to interact with the Skype service API, you must have a client executable to talk to. And you can't install any executable on the Pre, so that's likely the reason it's hosted on a server.
    So anybody had this thing working?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Ok that makes sense. I take my comment back. This is really no different than google voice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast