Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. srichman's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
       #1  
    Are we likely to see word completion, auto-correct, or whatever it's called. I got rather spoiled by that feature on my800w and really miss it now.

    Sheldon
  2. #2  
    There is already a word replacement feature. An example of this is type the letter u and press space and it is replaced by you. The file that contains theentries for this can be edited and added to by accessing linux on the pre (root access). Or there is a homebrew app in testing somewhere on the forum for that as well. Basically adding entries to replace abreviations with the full wrod would give the auto complete ability.
  3. srichman's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    There is already a word replacement feature. An example of this is type the letter u and press space and it is replaced by you. The file that contains theentries for this can be edited and added to by accessing linux on the pre (root access). Or there is a homebrew app in testing somewhere on the forum for that as well. Basically adding entries to replace abreviations with the full wrod would give the auto complete ability.
    I appreciate the information, but it's a pale substitute for what the Treo 800w does. I have to know the abbreviations. The computer should do that work for me. That's why I have it. And does the system learn from my typing history? It sounds like I have to be a programmer to add abbreviations, which I then have to remember. This is a regression from previous Palm models. I find that mystifying in the competitive market Palm in in.
  4. #4  
    That's called T9 text program I believe
  5. srichman's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
       #5  
    T-9 refers to the system on a telephone. 9 refers to the number of keys on a phone pad.
    Sheldon
  6. jsage's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #6  
    "Predictive Text" or "word completion" is high on my list of needs - heavy SMS and email users need it. "T9" is different - it's text entry using a numeric dial pad such as found on the average cell phone.

    Head over to Palm's suggestion web page and add your request - make sure you specify you want it for the Pre.
  7. #7  
    yeah but the T9 is what learned how you typed and helped fill in your 'next word' or if you type a couple letters a box would come up with a few suggestion words... so all-in-all you didn't have to type it all out if you choose not too...
  8. derek5l's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    #8  
    word
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    "Predictive Text" or "word completion" is high on my list of needs - heavy SMS and email users need it. "T9" is different - it's text entry using a numeric dial pad such as found on the average cell phone.

    Head over to Palm's suggestion web page and add your request - make sure you specify you want it for the Pre.
    This makes more sense I didn't realize this is what was being asked for. Out of curiosity does the system on the other devices use a plain text file to contain the entries? If so you could at least get 1/2 way there by adding those entries but still would have to type abbreviations according to the entries. Is there a specific company that designed the feature on the other devices? I've only experience predictive text once and hated it because it always guessed wrong so unfortunately haven't bother to pay attention to that feature on anything since then. I was always able to type faster without it so I didn't care to find out if it improved since.
  10. shmoo27's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #10  
    I'm missing Shortcut5 from my treo...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by derek5L View Post
    word
    Rofl!

    I was saying the same thing when I read the post...
  12. jsage's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
    yeah but the T9 is what learned how you typed and helped fill in your 'next word' or if you type a couple letters a box would come up with a few suggestion words... so all-in-all you didn't have to type it all out if you choose not too...
    Not all cellphone T9 implementations have predictive text, although it's one of the best features of the software. OTOH, if you're coming from a smartphone then predictive text / word completion has been part of your life for a while.

    Why predictive text is not on the Pre right now is a big mystery to me. Probably one of the many software features that was not ready at launch time.
  13. jsage's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Out of curiosity does the system on the other devices use a plain text file to contain the entries?
    It depends on who implemented the feature. WinMo phones (such as Treo 800w and Treo Pro) implement both a standard dictionary and a custom dictionary that learns the words you type most often. That one feature made typing on my Treo Pro very very easy.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    It depends on who implemented the feature. WinMo phones (such as Treo 800w and Treo Pro) implement both a standard dictionary and a custom dictionary that learns the words you type most often. That one feature made typing on my Treo Pro very very easy.
    If they are then they can be ported over to the pre. Especially if there is an opensource predictive entry thing then someone can port it to the pre and use the plain text files from the other devices as basis for the feature. At least until a better option comes along.
  15. srichman's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    If they are then they can be ported over to the pre. Especially if there is an opensource predictive entry thing then someone can port it to the pre and use the plain text files from the other devices as basis for the feature. At least until a better option comes along.
    The 800w system is great! I urge Palm to port it to the Pre right away. Let's not move backwards, especially with such a great smartphone otherwise.
  16. espc31's Avatar
    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #16  
    I do miss textplus for Palm. had it on my 700p for so long I forgot it was there really missing it now.

Posting Permissions