Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I want to uninstall the NFL app. I hate that you can not uninstall some apps. There are a few I do not want on my phone and feel that Sprint/Palm are forcing us to use our precious 8GB Memory on crap we don't want. This really makes me mad.

    JD
  2. leez's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    I want to uninstall the NFL app. I hate that you can not uninstall some apps. There are a few I do not want on my phone and feel that Sprint/Palm are forcing us to use our precious 8GB Memory on crap we don't want. This really makes me mad.

    JD
    Use these instructions at PreDevWiki (now WebOS-Internals.org)

    Hide/Delete The NASCAR App - WebOS Internals ...just do the same for the NFL app, too.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Good instructions, but I have not rooted my Pre and don't want to. I just feel it is wrong from them to not allow us this functionality. Yeah, I know they want to keep control of the OS, but come on here.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    ISprint/Palm are forcing us to use our precious 8GB Memory on crap we don't want.
    Ya it blows but these 2 apps are insignificant space wise.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    Good instructions, but I have not rooted my Pre and don't want to. I just feel it is wrong from them to not allow us this functionality. Yeah, I know they want to keep control of the OS, but come on here.
    First, the amount of storage it consumes relative to 8GB is going to be very trivial. Secondly, the fact you can change the visibility of an app after you root the phone is already a hugh help here.

    On most smartphones, the "built in" apps are in ROM so you can't remove or hide them either. At least using traditional means. So it is not like this is anything new with webOS.

    On Treos and other Palm OS devices, I actually did hide some built-in apps by taking advantage of a trick you call pull, but as with webOS, it can't be done "out of the box" by the user.
  6. #6  
    I agree.

    The icons are as big a deal as the space for me. I don't want to see them. Yeah, I can move the icons...and I have...and I have also created an entire launcher page for things that I don't want to see, but I'd prefer to delete them. Yeah, OCD...that's me.

    I know that I can delete them via root, but that's a pain...and many users won't feel comfortable taking that route...and they shouldn't have to. Frankly, I think that Palm is being a little arrogant by installing Nascar and NFL apps that cannot be uninstalled. I can understand why core apps can't be uninstalled (e.g., Browser, Bluetooth, ...) but Nascar and NFL? Give me a break. Put them in the app catalog and be done with it...as was done for the Baseball app, which, BTW, is the only one of the three that I want.

    It's one thing if an app is in ROM, as was the case in the old PalmOS (and the Obfuscate application dealt with those), but these applications aren't in ROM. I know that they can be physically deleted from the device because I can do it as root. It seems like Palm has made some deal to distribute them with the OS rather than through the app catalog...so they have decided to make them undeletable since there's no easy way to get them back since they are not in that catalog. I see the issue...I just don't like it.

    cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 07/24/2009 at 11:39 AM.
  7. #7  
    Remember, this is Sprint's doing, not Palm's. You can bet that Pres in the EU will not have the NASCAR and NFL apps. Sprint is very likely forcing Palm to put these apps on the phone such that they cannot be deleted.
  8. #8  
    not a big deal for me they need sponsors i like sprint and palm not a big deal
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    not a big deal for me they need sponsors i like sprint and palm not a big deal
    True, but why isn't the Baseball app included as a non-uninstallable (is that even a word?) application? Just makes no sense with me.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    True, but why isn't the Baseball app included as a non-uninstallable (is that even a word?) application? Just makes no sense with me.
    Baseball app?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    True, but why isn't the Baseball app included as a non-uninstallable (is that even a word?) application? Just makes no sense with me.
    YOU installed the baseball app.

    Sprint gets advertising from NFL and Nascar for being their exclusive cell carrier. The are forcing these on the phone. It doesn't take any of your flash space, because it is in a different partition than the /media/internal/ that you put music, movies, etc.

    That being said, I uninstalled the Nascar app and Sprint Portal. Just blew them away from the linux shell on the phone.
  12. leez's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    YOU installed the baseball app.

    Sprint gets advertising from NFL and Nascar for being their exclusive cell carrier. The are forcing these on the phone. It doesn't take any of your flash space, because it is in a different partition than the /media/internal/ that you put music, movies, etc.

    That being said, I uninstalled the Nascar app and Sprint Portal. Just blew them away from the linux shell on the phone.
    Well, unfortunately it's the other way around. Businesses pay dearly to be the "exclusive X of Y." The idea is "Yea, I love football! I'll get a Sprint phone."

    I can say for certain that NASCAR dropped not a single dime to have an application on this phone--it's Sprint pushing it because of the MILLIONS of dollars they pay out for NASCAR's top race series to be called the "NASCAR Sprint Cup," much like Nationwide and Craftsman (Sears) pay for the others.

    A study at JMU once found that "47% of fans agreed that they like a sponsor's brand more because it sponsors NASCAR," so certainly the motivation was there for then Nextel to sign a 10 year deal (which expires in 2014).
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
  13. #13  
    Well, Sprint sponcers Nascar AND NFL, so it might be a part of there contract to include apps for these on every phone that sprint has that can run apps, my old treo phones had NFL app on it (not nascar at the time b/c they had just got nextel and the nascar contract from that deal) My old Nextel phone (winmo) has a nascar apps on it. IMHO on ever phone i have EVER owned there were apps that i could not remove and never used, BUT on a phone like the pre, the apps really don't take up THAT much space at all (prolly less then a few seconds on a mp3at the high b.r. that i encode all mine in
  14. #14  
    Finally worked up the nerve and went through the procedure to hide NASCAR and NFL. At the end of the day, wasn't that big of a deal. Didn't bother deleting them since they don't take up that much space; just didn't want to have to look at them.

    Instructions here:

    Patch Launcher Hide-Delete The NASCAR App - WebOS Internals
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    First, the amount of storage it consumes relative to 8GB is going to be very trivial.
    I don't think apps occupy the 8GB at all, do they?
  16. Gelst's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    #16  
    So I saved a website and added it to my launcher, How do I remove it now ? I went into bookmarks to delete it but its not there. its now in the launcher area and I can't remove. any ideas ?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    and I have...and I have also created an entire launcher page for things that I don't want to see, but I'd prefer to delete them.
    Steve how did you create a new launcher page?

Posting Permissions