webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Email for Dummies!
Email for Dummies!

Old 07/31/2009, 12:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
The problem here is that it IS self signed, if it were from an official CA, the root cert would be built into the Pre.
Not really, there is no "official" CA. Its either supported out of the box or its not, and that is completely up to the device or software vendor. I got my cert from startssl.com, and it wasn't included by Palm. I went to their website, downloaded the root cert, and everything worked after that.

If you can view a site using the same cert (like webmail) on your PC in a web browser without getting an SSL error, then both the cert and the root/intermediate cert ARE on your computer already, and you don't need help from your IT people. From IE, go to Internet Options, click on the "Content" tab, and click on the "Certificates" button in the middle of the window. Find the ones you need (should be under Intermediate Certification Authorities and/or
Trusted Root Certification Authorities), and click export. That should be what you need.

You may also want to try importing the actual cert too. The phone should do this on its own, but if you just want to get it working, it can't hurt.
richardhkirkando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2009, 12:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhkirkando View Post
Not really, there is no "official" CA. Its either supported out of the box or its not, and that is completely up to the device or software vendor. I got my cert from startssl.com, and it wasn't included by Palm. I went to their website, downloaded the root cert, and everything worked after that.

If you can view a site using the same cert (like webmail) on your PC in a web browser without getting an SSL error, then both the cert and the root/intermediate cert ARE on your computer already, and you don't need help from your IT people. From IE, go to Internet Options, click on the "Content" tab, and click on the "Certificates" button in the middle of the window. Find the ones you need (should be under Intermediate Certification Authorities and/or
Trusted Root Certification Authorities), and click export. That should be what you need.

You may also want to try importing the actual cert too. The phone should do this on its own, but if you just want to get it working, it can't hurt.

You are right, I never really thought about smaller companies that offer SSL certificates and how they may/may not be offered as a trusted root authority. In this case, however, I've exchanged PMs with JackStorm and we've determined it's self signed and the CA is internal.

If the machine has accepted the cert as a trusted source, this root cert can be exported out? I've had trouble with this in the past, and I wasn't sure if you were accepting the Root CA as trusted (and downloading the root cert) or if you were just adding the certificate as being from a trusted source without the Root cert. Certificates aren't my strong point, so I apologize if I'm way off.
mrsyeltzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2009, 01:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

OK, My IT group says our certificate is invalid. They said just have it accept invalid certificates. Oy. Is there a way to do this?
scobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2009, 03:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
If the machine has accepted the cert as a trusted source, this root cert can be exported out? I've had trouble with this in the past, and I wasn't sure if you were accepting the Root CA as trusted (and downloading the root cert) or if you were just adding the certificate as being from a trusted source without the Root cert. Certificates aren't my strong point, so I apologize if I'm way off.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that both the certificate and the Root CA should be on your PC in most (if not all) cases. If not, or you're unsure which one it is, you can go to the webmail site in IE or Firefox, open the "view certificate" dialog, and go to the Certification Path tab (IE only) to download them individually. For each cert, the Details tab will give you an option to export. On Firefox, everything is under the Details tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobb View Post
OK, My IT group says our certificate is invalid. They said just have it accept invalid certificates. Oy. Is there a way to do this?
hahaha, sorry. That's terrible. Do they just not know how to request/issue a new one? It might be worth trying to export/import anyway
richardhkirkando is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: scobb
Old 01/08/2013, 02:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobb View Post
I hate to bump such an old thread, but this is my exact same problem, except I own my web server. I have an invalid self-signed certificate that triggers a warning message on every browser out there. But after you trust it, no issues.

I can log into my email via a browser, but I want to use the webos client. Any assistance appreciated.
SamirPD is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0