Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    In the past I have used Outlook Contacts as a place to store passwords, credit card numbers, etc., knowing that it is unsecure should my Treo be lost. I've been very careful with the device and was willing to live with the risk. However, with cloud syncing on the Pre, that is not even an option any longer because my private data totally leaves my control once sent through the cloud.

I am interested in a secure (password protected & encrypted) "information holder" for use on my Pre. What I need is a place to keep all relevant data (login, a/c #, password, etc.) for many different types of accounts (financial web sites, forums, credit cards, memberships, etc.). I'd like to be able to launch the app and then enter the master password one time and then be able to see all my passwords, credit card numbers, etc. in the clear. That way I can use the data like I would Outlook Contacts but have a way to secure it on the Pre when not in use. I'm much less interested in using the app to actually log me into web sites. The Pre becomes a reference source for me to view & select data and then use the data whether I'm on a computer or on the phone. The beauty of the Pre's multi-tasking OS is that I can keep such a reference open when I need it and still use other apps on the Pre. I can then re-secure the data by simple closing the app.

Anybody know of an app that will do that?

Bill

PS: I've been using the SplashID beta on my Pre and find it annoying that, after entering a secure password to access my data, I still cannot "see" the actual passwords, credit card numbers, etc. for my various accounts. They appear as a string of asterisks only. I'm sure that is the app's normal legacy behavior but things are potentially different on the Pre with its multi-tasking capability. SplashID (or something like it) would work fine for what I need if it offered an option of displaying otherwise "blanked out" data in the clear. I've posted this on the SplashID beta forum and hope the authors will consider some sort of "switch" to allow this behavior with the app. It would otherwise work pretty well for what I need.
    woward,

There's a Palm OS application called Passwords Plus from Dataviz that does exactly what you want. On the Pre, you'll need to purchase the "Classic" app since Dataviz does not have a version of its product for the Pre. I've tested Passwords Plus on the Pre through the Classic app (a Palm OS emulator) and it works okay. At this point you need to "sync" your desktop Passwords Plus with your Pre by copying the PP database via USB connection. MotionApps, the Classic software developer, claims to have a real hotsync in alpha test right now so perhaps syncing will get easier down the road. Classic costs $29.99...can't remember the cost of Passwords Plus but it wasn't much.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Thanks for your reply. I will look at Passwords Plus.

The latest version of SplashID (0.4.8) lets me do what I want. It has a "Mask/Unmask" button that allows passwords, cc#'s, etc. to be viewed in the clear. It's still a Beta so the final version may change. I'm using a trial version of SplashID's PC desktop software to enter and edit the information. Have not gotten the sync function to work yet but it is very easy to export a .CSV (Excel format) file from the desktop, copy it via USB to the Pre, delete the old data in the Pre's SplashID and then import the new data. The only thing this does not let me do is enter or edit data on the Pre and then seamlessly transfer it back to the PC. While it would be nice, it's not a deal-killer.

Bill
    Last edited by woward; 07/27/2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: fix typo
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woward View Post
    PS: I've been using the SplashID beta on my Pre and find it annoying that, after entering a secure password to access my data, I still cannot "see" the actual passwords, credit card numbers, etc. for my various accounts. They appear as a string of asterisks only. I'm sure that is the app's normal legacy behavior but things are potentially different on the Pre with its multi-tasking capability. SplashID (or something like it) would work fine for what I need if it offered an option of displaying otherwise "blanked out" data in the clear. I've posted this on the SplashID beta forum and hope the authors will consider some sort of "switch" to allow this behavior with the app. It would otherwise work pretty well for what I need.
    Does the ability of Palm and Sprint to track and examine apps, data and usage compromise SplashID's ability to securely store private information on a Pre?