1.    #1  
    I have an idea for an app or a feature that Palm could add to the Pre that I'm pretty sure everyone would love.

Right now I find it a little annoying when I need to contact someone, ie via phone or sms. You have to open the dialer, then either look through your call history, which is too small in my opinion, or click the little contacts menu at the top and then scroll through hundreds of contacts or slide out the keyboard and start typing...

It can be much easier than this. Most people have a handful of contacts that they speak to on a regular basis, right?

I think we need a "favorites" app. We tap the app (which I would keep in my quick launch), it opens up a menu that looks just like the launcher, only instead of apps, it's contacts that we add or subtract to our "favorites". The icon for each contact can be a thumbnail pic with their name under it, and when you tap the icon, it brings up a small menu with buttons for "Call" or "SMS" or maybe even some others, like email, etc.

Basically, this would allow us to tap the screen a few times and instantly be connected.

Can anyone else picture this? I wold love to see this made. It would be very simple.
    You can already add contacts to the dialer which allows you do do this.

It pulls up their contact card, and then you tap on their phone number or the SMS button beside it to do this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You can already add contacts to the dialer which allows you do do this.

It pulls up their contact card, and then you tap on their phone number or the SMS button beside it to do this.
    Really? How do you do this?

It doesn't sound as "fun" as my idea
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Or... just type in their name in the universal search.

Just start typing their name and it shows their names under Contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    Really? How do you do this?

It doesn't sound as "fun" as my idea
    In the contacts app, tap on the top left menu, add to launcher.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Or... just type in their name in the universal search.

Just start typing their name and it shows their names under Contacts.
    The whole point is to not have to fiddle with typing. For instance, when you're driving.
    I think speed dial is the best way to dial your most used numbers. You just hold down the letter/number of the person you want to call and it dials. I used to do this with my Treo and it was really important for me to have that on the Pre, glad they put it in! The nice thing is the functionality works with both the onscreen keypad if you click on the phone, or on the keyboard from the home screen. If you could bring up apps this way, it would be even better!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In the contacts app, tap on the top left menu, add to launcher.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said. View a contact you want to add to the launcher, hit the appMenu and "Add to Launcher" when you tap the link on the launcher it pulls up their card where you can then select their phone # or any other contact method stored to the contact.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Adding a contact to launcher is great.
    Speed dial is good too, although I don't use it.
    But I agree with the OP that a "favorites" button in the phone app would be very useful.
  10.    #10  
    OK, so I tried the "add to launcher" and it is almost the functionality I am looking for, but I don't like how the contacts get mixed in with the apps. Right now there are 3 "sections" (swipe left to right) in the launcher. If they gave us a fourth where our contacts went to, this would be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    OK, so I tried the "add to launcher" and it is almost the functionality I am looking for, but I don't like how the contacts get mixed in with the apps. Right now there are 3 "sections" (swipe left to right) in the launcher. If they gave us a fourth where our contacts went to, this would be perfect.
    There is actually is a way to get more pages if you don't mind rooting your Pre.
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...-launcher.html
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    There is actually is a way to get more pages if you don't mind rooting your Pre.
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...-launcher.html
    Thanks, but I'm not ready to do that just yet. I'd rather just see this feature implemented better.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Speed Dial is pretty cool!
    Adding to Launcher.... you can move the icons around so they aren't mixed in.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabadman View Post
    Speed Dial is pretty cool!
    Adding to Launcher.... you can move the icons around so they aren't mixed in.
    True, but i still think it would be more effective to give your favorite contacts their own page.
    @ SkinFlaps... your name in this seriously makes we want to yack up my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All I can think of is the old lady who leads the music in church almost knocking herself out with her arm jobbies.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    @ SkinFlaps... your name in this seriously makes we want to yack up my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All I can think of is the old lady who leads the music in church almost knocking herself out with her arm jobbies.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    check out the active home screen it has one already being made
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by azack View Post
    check out the active home screen it has one already being made
    where can I find this? Is this a homebrew?