1.    #1  
    So, today was the first time that this particular set of circumstances has presented since owning my beloved pre. I needed to look something up on the internet -- of course, I do *that* all the time. But today, I ran into an unexpected glitch due to my speedial shortcuts. For example, my daughter's speedial is "2" on my pre. Never thought it would be an issue until TODAY when I tried to look up "Revolution" using universal search. I was looking for a particular link for my students.

Anyway, I looked up "revolution" and each time I tried to just type it on the open keyboard it would automatically start placing numbers rather than text.
    The first number "2" would list my daughter's name after it. The second letter which should be "e" would present on the pre search bar as the number "1." And so it went.

I had to actually click on the globe app in order to finally look up "revolution" without dialing some poor schlep.

Has anyone else had this happen. I did do a quick search, so if this has already been addressed in another thread... feel free to throw flaming spears. However, I am concerned about this. Is it a *bug,* is there a way around the automatic numeric conversion when in universal search?

Any and all help is much appreciated
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    So, today was the first time that this particular set of circumstances has presented since owning my beloved pre. I needed to look something up on the internet -- of course, I do *that* all the time. But today, I ran into an unexpected glitch due to my speedial shortcuts. For example, my daughter's speedial is "2" on my pre. Never thought it would be an issue until TODAY when I tried to look up "Revolution" using universal search. I was looking for a particular link for my students.

Anyway, I looked up "revolution" and each time I tried to just type it on the open keyboard it would automatically start placing numbers rather than text.
    The first number "2" would list my daughter's name after it. The second letter which should be "e" would present on the pre search bar as the number "1." And so it went.

I had to actually click on the globe app in order to finally look up "revolution" without dialing some poor schlep.

Has anyone else had this happen. I did do a quick search, so if this has already been addressed in another thread... feel free to throw flaming spears. However, I am concerned about this. Is it a *bug,* is there a way around the automatic numeric conversion when in universal search?

Any and all help is much appreciated
    for me after the first o in Revolution it turns into letters
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    for me after the first o in Revolution it turns into letters
    All of it? It doesn't do that for me. So when you get to the "O" the search begins to recognize that you are looking for the word "Revolution"?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Yeah, just keep on typing and it will turn back to letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    All of it? It doesn't do that for me. So when you get to the "O" the search begins to recognize that you are looking for the word "Revolution"?
    yes but i don't have a speed dial programed
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Yeah, just keep on typing and it will turn back to letters.
    You know, what's wierd is I got it to change to letters at the letter "L" - BUT if I try to look up, say, the word "red" it stays only numbers.

Should it do this? It seems wrong or at least as though there should be an easy way around it.
    when you type in red, touch the second box from the top, the box with the magnifying glass. For me, that pops up the search boxes with the word red in it. Does that work?
    the programs your looking for should still come up

like this
    If it stays only numbers, have you tried tapping the "Find..." button to give you the Google/ Wikipedia/ Twitter search screen? Should automatically turn to text then.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If it stays only numbers, have you tried tapping the "Find..." button to give you the Google/ Wikipedia/ Twitter search screen? Should automatically turn to text then.
    Yep. That fixed it. Geesh, I knew it had to be an ***** user error. I feel stupid, stupid, stupid for not noticing that the "find" menu cold be accessed.

Thanks all (CAL you had the right answer too!) I feel like a dummy, but I am glad I asked
    That's the answer. I have a similar problem when trying to Google an address. If you try to type "21 Jumpstreet" in universal search, it automatically changes it to "re Jumpstreet" Is there a simple way to keep it from changing 21 to re?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    the programs your looking for should still come up

like this
    FYI...OrangeKey + SYM + P takes a screenshot and saves it to your photos...in lieu of taking a photo in the mirror...
    Quote Originally Posted by djacoby View Post
    That's the answer. I have a similar problem when trying to Google an address. If you try to type "21 Jumpstreet" in universal search, it automatically changes it to "re Jumpstreet" Is there a simple way to keep it from changing 21 to re?
    Color me stumped. I had never tried that and I am getting the same result as you. You might just have to open google maps first.
    There's a way to do that too. Hold down the orange button while typing 21.
    To illustrate my issue. The first image shows that I typed in "123"

In the second, I continue to type in the address and it shows up as "ert oak street"

Any solutions? What am I missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry. Didn't realize you had responded jhoff. Thanks!!!
    There's a way to do that too. Hold down the orange button while typing 21.
    Oooh. Very nice. I was holding orange while typing the 2, but not the 1. You have to hold the orange button until you're done typing all of the numbers.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    To type one number just hit the (orange) key once. To type a series of numbers hit the (orange) key twice to lock it.
    Moved from Palm Pre Forum to webOS Apps and Software Forum,

- Craig