Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am sure to get flamed and I'm sure this has been posted before, but nonetheless, here goes:

We all agree the app store is sorely lacking, well... apps. That being said, as the SDK was just released, AND there are still a few updates pending for WebOS, both rumoured, confirmed and altogether needed, developers are probably waiting for things to settle a bit before developing those "killer apps" we are all waiting for...

Testing an app against a moving OS target is expensive, unreliable and somewhat counterproductive for both the user and the developer. So, why bash Palm for this?

I'm certainly no fanboi, but I will defend where defense is due... Let's see what happens with tomorrow's rumoured release of the update for WebOS. I would speculate we'll see some good new stuff fairly quickly... and much more will follow once there is a stable WebOS release schedule...

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    +1

Any other reaction is purely emotion based rather than reason based. The App Catalog is still in beta. For all we know, the beta version is incapable of hosting more than 30 apps.
    +1, I am new to palm (my first palm device actually). I had a mogul and I must say, webOS is much better than windows mobile ever will be. But everyone must remember that when the iphone first came out. They too were lacking in the apps department. Give it time...the apps will come.
    +3 here
    Yea, the lack of App's thing doesn't bother me. Keep in mind, iPhone users had nothing for a very long time.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, didn't it take Apple a year before apps?

Blackberry like oh... 10 years?

Winmo like 8 or so?
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong, didn't it take Apple a year before apps?

Blackberry like oh... 10 years?

Winmo like 8 or so?

It Doesn't matter how long they took.. I don't think palm can afford to take a year or run the same rout as apple did with web based apps.. I love my pre but i think if palm doesn't allow deeper access to the phones hardware and OS in the SDK its going to FAIL... Developers have more choices in platforms to develop for then they did 3 years ago.. Platforms like the iPhone's mobile os x that already have a proven distribution system and millions of users.. not to mention Google's Android (who i think is the big juggernaut to be on the look out for) , whos operating system is being backed by multiple manufactures and service providers...

I love my pre, i think its the most modern, smartest and dare a say the sleekest mobile operating system out there but lets face the facts Its going to be an up hill battle, I hope palm can get get everything going at once..
    That's exactly the problem. Palm doesn't have the gas to fuel the engine it wants to run at full speed. Of course they want webOS to be successful but they have limited resources and MUST progress at a steady but promising pace.

If they really want success, they will listen to their users. There are COUNTLESS places for improvement in webOS. Let's just hope Palm takes the time to add/delete/fix them.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    If I remember right I read that apps won't really take off until the end of August. Sorry I don't have a source on hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    If I remember right I read that apps won't really take off until the end of August. Sorry I don't have a source on hand.
    ur right....its in the beginning of fall which is end of august
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Everything seems about right. They built an entirely knew phone and showed it to us earlier this year at CES. Launched it this summer after fixing design problems, *cough* microsd *cough*. Now working with releasing world wide.

All while fixing the software, building the SDK, and building the app store in prepartion for the fall. Oh, and hopefully building near-future phones...like the Eos.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    ur right....its in the beginning of fall which is end of august
    Last time I checked the beginning of fall isn't until near the end of September. (Assuming we are talking about the Northern Hemisphere.)
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Last time I checked the beginning of fall isn't until near the end of September. (Assuming we are talking about the Northern Hemisphere.)
    not for me.....i go to classes here in south florida and my fall terms start at the end of august
    They should have had more apps on launch. IMO the Pre and WebOS was in no way ready to be released.
    I barely used half of the apps I downloaded when I owned an iPhone 3G. At this point, I'm more interested in speed optimizations, copy and paste, and allowing us to read pdf's from the net.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hedwiglives View Post
    They should have had more apps on launch. IMO the Pre and WebOS was in no way ready to be released.
    Excuse me? Palm has 1,000 employees. Lord knows how many of them actually worked on this product. They have built a superior product out of the gate than Apple did with their 1.0 product, and with an employee count of 30,000+. Palm has limited resources, and even with the $425mil from Elevation, they still built an amazing 1.0 product and primed it for more updates than Apple or Google has pushed for their respective OSes. I own both an iPhone and an HTC Magic (and a Dream) and Palm has updated this OS at a faster rate than either of the aforementioned.

Palm was more than ready to release this product. More than ready. And with good intentions, because it's a GREAT product, and in their words "the best product [they've] ever shipped".
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    not for me.....i go to classes here in south florida and my fall terms start at the end of august
    I'm in Texas. We don't do "Fall". It's several months of summer, then 3 weeks of winter, spring storms, and repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm in Texas. We don't do "Fall". It's several months of summer, then 3 weeks of winter, spring storms, and repeat.
    Well I guess it works different huh
    Quote Originally Posted by dylandersen View Post
    Excuse me? Palm has 1,000 employees. Lord knows how many of them actually worked on this product. They have built a superior product out of the gate than Apple did with their 1.0 product, and with an employee count of 30,000+. Palm has limited resources, and even with the $425mil from Elevation, they still built an amazing 1.0 product and primed it for more updates than Apple or Google has pushed for their respective OSes. I own both an iPhone and an HTC Magic (and a Dream) and Palm has updated this OS at a faster rate than either of the aforementioned.

Palm was more than ready to release this product. More than ready. And with good intentions, because it's a GREAT product, and in their words "the best product [they've] ever shipped".
    So you are saying that palm built a better product in 2009 than apple did in 2007? That's not saying much considering the smart phone market changes almost monthly. The palm pre was released way too early. That might be why palm is scrambling to get updates out?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dylandersen View Post

Amen! Remember how long Apple took to release updates to the Iphone, which also include recquisite updates to iTunes, which were only done to break whatever someone had designed to get better integration? Apple spent way too much time worried about what everybody was doing than themselves, and I was/am a fan of the Phone - I think it's an excellent design. But, I believe Palm did a much better job on version 1.0 of this phone, with fewer resources than Apple did with more... Palm learned from Apple's mistakes and the BEST approach here is NOT to rush and mistakes, but to do things as quickly as possible, being smart about testing, and show us progress... I, for one, would rather see 30-40 smaller, better tested updates, than one single update with everything but it breaks 100 other things and wasn't sufficiently regression tested. Progress, slow, steady and smart.... Palm already has gotten our attention, the attention of the press and is moving a significant number of devices - show us that they are doing everything rright, populating the app store with good stuff, giving access to the lower level functions, once they've ironed out the problems at the top and they have done BETTER than most others, and still faster than Apple (after 3 years).

And for the record, I have owned 4+ HTC phones, and with each, barely a single update to fix some small problem, if any at all....nothing substantive and nothing like what we've already seen from Palm.

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast