Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Okay ... Palm keep waiting, as Apple once again gets a record quarter in a recession.

Not an Apple fanboy, but you don't sell 5.2MM phones in a quarter based on iFart apps.

Market share is market share. I bought the Pre hedging my bets, but my patience is running thin. I keep yearning for apps that I don't have (but the homebrew forum here is a good effort, I will admit).
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    If I remember right I read that apps won't really take off until the end of August. Sorry I don't have a source on hand.
    That's not true. There were "thousands" of developers in the early access program (according to Palm), and their apps are in various stages of the process of being released.

Then, Palm is opening up applications for new apps (i.e., those not a part of the early access program) in the fall.

This means that there are potentially hundreds if not thousands of apps that are at some stage in the pipeline which could be released at any time. My guess is that once the App Catalog is out of beta (the 1.1 release, perhaps?), we'll get many more apps. Maybe even a flood.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hedwiglives View Post
    So you are saying that palm built a better product in 2009 than apple did in 2007? That's not saying much considering the smart phone market changes almost monthly. The palm pre was released way too early. That might be why palm is scrambling to get updates out?
    We should probably compare timelines to Apple... many felt version 1.0 of the iPhone was years behind technologically (in other words, 2G versus 3G version of GSM) and lacking features that the Pre already has (cut/paste, etc.). And, many more people, including me, thought the iPhone was released prematurely and without basic features. We cannot please everyone, and as a power (VERY power) user of SmartPhones, I don't agree taht the Pre was released too early. I have fewer problems with it than with any other phone I've owned, inclusive of the most popular HTC and iPhones.

And, just to add another flame target to my already growing bullseye on my back, Sprint has also stepped up support both in store and their CSR's... Again, they aren't perfect, but by comparison, MUCH BETTER than in previous years, and IMHO, much more customer focused/attentive than AT&T ever was too me - forcing me to pay over $300 in early term fees when I couldn't make/receive calls at my house, repeated dropped calls in all major markets, etc. So, I feel like a winner right now!
    Lee Ladisky
    Let me throw out that Palm isnt in it to dominate the market from the beginning. They are aiming for the fat middle of an ever-growing smartphone market. They dont need to compete with the iPhone and Blackberry and Android...at least not to start. Just get a good corner and work up from there.

The apps will come, and with them, more market share and deeper access SDK. I am glad the people who are running Palm arent as impatient and narrow-sighted as some of these posters!
    The reality is that Palm is not competing with the original iPhone. They are competing with the current iPhone. And the current App catalog.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    + however many, How did the Pre attract some cry baby inpatient whiners??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    We should probably compare timelines to Apple... many felt version 1.0 of the iPhone was years behind technologically (in other words, 2G versus 3G version of GSM) and lacking features that the Pre already has (cut/paste, etc.). And, many more people, including me, thought the iPhone was released prematurely and without basic features. We cannot please everyone, and as a power (VERY power) user of SmartPhones, I don't agree taht the Pre was released too early. I have fewer problems with it than with any other phone I've owned, inclusive of the most popular HTC and iPhones.

And, just to add another flame target to my already growing bullseye on my back, Sprint has also stepped up support both in store and their CSR's... Again, they aren't perfect, but by comparison, MUCH BETTER than in previous years, and IMHO, much more customer focused/attentive than AT&T ever was too me - forcing me to pay over $300 in early term fees when I couldn't make/receive calls at my house, repeated dropped calls in all major markets, etc. So, I feel like a winner right now!
    I could say the same about the palm pre. It is lacking in many areas that are now becoming standard. No video capture. Very little customization. Small(and non-expandable) storage. Impoverished app catalog. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!! (I have to disagree with you on that one. I dread calling CS.)

I'm glad you are happy though.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    its going to FAIL...
    I hate the line of thinking that suggests that apps or the lack thereof can make or break Palm, or any smartphone manufacturer. Not everyone buys a phone simply for apps. Besides, the Pre by itself is a great piece of hardware with excellent UI and software, sans apps.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    I hate the line of thinking that suggests that apps or the lack thereof can make or break Palm, or any smartphone manufacturer. Not everyone buys a phone simply for apps. Besides, the Pre by itself is a great piece of hardware with excellent UI and software, sans apps.
    What a bunch of hogwash. Stop with these lame excuses. Apps are important which is why Palm is trying to get the SDK out there and finish the app store. Why would they do all this if it wasn't important, because they see apps as an advantage for Pre users. What you're saying is like saying software isn't important for our computers and we should be using thr computers like how they were when we bought them with no programs installed. Why do you think the homebrew scene has developed, because people want apps.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    If Palm is serious about application development they should follow Apple's lead (one more time) and create something like the $100M iFund.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post

No they dont buy phones for just apps but lets be serious the pre isnt just a smart phone.. its a pocket computer with a phone built in.. Software is an essential part of any computers platform especially one thats going to be built up and spread across separate devices. Applications add value to your device and not to be an *** but you're wrong.. Palm needs apps and to take it a step further they need apps that can utilize the Pre's hardware and excellent UI..
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    No they dont buy phones for just apps but lets be serious the pre isnt just a smart phone.. its a pocket computer with a phone built in.. Software is an essential part of any computers platform especially one thats going to be built up and spread across separate devices. Applications add value to your device and not to be an *** but you're wrong.. Palm needs apps and to take it a step further they need apps that can utilize the Pre's hardware and excellent UI..
    Well said.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Let me throw out that Palm isnt in it to dominate the market from the beginning. They are aiming for the fat middle of an ever-growing smartphone market. They dont need to compete with the iPhone and Blackberry and Android...at least not to start. Just get a good corner and work up from there.

The apps will come, and with them, more market share and deeper access SDK. I am glad the people who are running Palm arent as impatient and narrow-sighted as some of these posters!
    +1
    I was sure Palm was dead until this year. Glad they're back on their feet.

I hope they keep bringing us something new and innovative unlike the old days...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm in Texas. We don't do "Fall". It's several months of summer, then 3 weeks of winter, spring storms, and repeat.
    Then sorry, but you don't get Apps in Texas.
    Apps appearantly are important. To some more than others. I personally dont care about apps. Have an iTouch and most of the apps are garbage.

It seems like people just want apps... to have them. Not many are practical.

Either way, I dont think that Apps will make or brake the PRE.

I think that people that are crying about apps, or saying that they will leave the PRE (boohoo) need to stop whining. You want an APP machine.. get the iPhone.

Want a kick *** PHONE... enjoy the PRE. Apps WILL come.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    The problem isn't the app store being in Beta at the phones release.

The problem is the SDK sill in Beta and not released to the general dev population until last week.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Folks - I hate the lack of apps as much as anyone, but the homebrew effort is tying me over - at least for a couple days. I was hesitant, but there's good stuff in there, if nothing but a proof of concept.

In other news, where the F is my update for today?!?
    Don't hate Palm for lack of apps in the App store....

...Love PreCentral for Offering Twice As Many App in Homebrew!

- Craig
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    What a bunch of hogwash. Stop with these lame excuses. Apps are important which is why Palm is trying to get the SDK out there and finish the app store. Why would they do all this if it wasn't important, because they see apps as an advantage for Pre users. What you're saying is like saying software isn't important for our computers and we should be using thr computers like how they were when we bought them with no programs installed. Why do you think the homebrew scene has developed, because people want apps.
    I never said they weren't important. Your analogy is also off.
    Many other phones sell just fine without so called apps. People saying that a company will fail without the use of these apps is ignorant in itself.
    A computer, for example, fresh from the factory will work perfectly fine. Everything else is extra. Do I want apps? Yes. Without apps, is the Pre still a good phone? Yes.
    Does my grandmother care about having a tetris app, or a myspace or facebook app? Would yours? Do you see my point, or am I just feeding you?

What was I wrong about?

I hate the line of thinking that suggests that apps or the lack thereof can make or break Palm, or any smartphone manufacturer.
    This? I don't see too many apps around for WinMo phones. If a phone has great functionality, why the NEED for apps? Need, meaning life or death is riding on APPS and APPS alone.

Not everyone buys a phone simply for apps.
    This? I didn't buy the Pre for it's apps. It's lolapp catalog is skimpy as hell. I would have bought an iPhone for apps.

Besides, the Pre by itself is a great piece of hardware with excellent UI and software, sans apps.
    So without apps, the pre is a piece of garbage with horrible UI?

Please note not once did I state that apps were not important. But a phone company's fate riding on apps? That's a little farfetched.
    Originally posted by Leeladisky:
    Testing an app against a moving OS target is expensive, unreliable and somewhat counterproductive for both the user and the developer. So, why bash Palm for this?. .
    Since my SplashID is broken and can't be installed after the 1.1 update, I'd add that it's also frustrating to the user. Don't get me wrong. I love the device, but now I have to carry my Treo until this is fixed. I'm sure it won't take long, but in the meantime, I'll be carrying the Pre just for access to one app.

When Classic comes up with a sync method, this will no longer be necessary as a backup.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast