Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have root access and have found the folder that contains the Splash ID app, does anyone know the file I would need to backup so I can restore my passwords if I need to?
    This is a good question because I too have been concerned about how much stuff is not backed up. On palmOS I used a backup program that litterally backed up the whole entire device in essence it was like an image of everything so when restoring from the backup every single little thing was restored so that it was as if you never had to restore the device in the 1st place. I would assume duplicating the whole file and folder stuff seen from root access would do this very thing as a haphazard way until another complete backup solution is available.
    Bump.
    i am surprised they did not provide a way to do this.

whats the use of this app if it cant remember your info when you change phone or reset??

Palm? Splash? care to explain?
    I hope there is a more complete solution coming very soon with an online syncing to SplashData's servers. I ran into this problem when I was diagnosing another problem and I partially reformatted my Pre and lost all of my SplashID stuff. And since you cant export it from the Pre, I lost all of the new data that I entered. Very frustrating.
    Splash? care to explain?
    See post# 9 in this thread and rejoice!: http://discussion.treocentral.com/of...out-video.html
    FWIW, I just successfully restored my SplashID data. Here's how I did it:
    Gain root command line access through however you do it.
    Code:
    cd /var/palm/data
    cd *splashid*
    You'll now see a file that has some numbers with a .db extension, such as 000000000000017.db. Now we just need to copy that to your usb area:
    Code:
    cp *.db /media/internal
    Switch to usb mode and store that on your computer.

Now, if you perform a full erase reset or if you take your Pre to the doctor, restoring is a fairly simple matter. First you have to fire up SplashID for the first time so that the database is instantiated. I recommend using the same password just in case--I don't know if that's necessary or not, but that's what I did. Then copy the *.db file from your computer back to your usb drive.

I don't know if the new database has the same filename as the old one. I also don't know if splashid cares or not. Perhaps it does. So this is what I did:
    Gain root command line access.
    Code:
    cd /var/palm/data
    cd *splashid*
    cp *.db xxxxxxxxx.db.bak
    mv /media/internal/*.db /var/palm/data/*splashid*/xxxxxxxxx.db
    where xxxxxxxxxx is whatever the numbers are on the new file that Splashid created. Now when you fire up SplashID, all your old data will be restored.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    cool... You're the man! Thanks. I knew file had to be somewhere. Why couldn't the SplashID folks have just told me this?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Here's a tip that may make it easier for folks to back things up, at least temporarily:

Make sure SplashID isn't running.
    make a new directory in /media/internal for backups. I'm using /media/internal/Backups/splashid

Code:
    cd /var/palm/data
    cd *splashid*
    cp *db /media/internal/Backups/splashid
    mv *.db xxxxxxxxx.db.bak
    ln -s /media/internal/Backups/splashid/*db .
    This moves the splashid database out into the usb area, and symlinks the original location to the usb location. So, the usb file will always stay updated. (In fact, its the file being used - so be careful not to screw with it!)

Now, if you just make copies of your usb area regularly, you'll always have the most recent version of your splashid database in the copy.

Warning: I've tested this to make sure that you can write/read the data the same as always using SplashID, but there's definitely a chance that something could go wrong. Caveat emptor!
    No need to gain root access.

All I did was install internalz and its file manager service.

Then just navigate to /var/palm/data/ then find the folder called file_var.usr.palm.applicatioins.com.splashdata.app.splashid_0/

Copy that folder and select /media/internal as the destination folder.

This will give you a copy of your splashID database in your USB partition that you can see when you connect your Pre to your computer. Make a copy of this folder on your computer.

To restore after a hard reset or Doctor session just reverse these steps.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Ah - found what I was looking for: SyncToy. Free tool that helps you make a synced version of the Pre's USB space on your pc:
    SyncToy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other thing I'll be doing until Splash gets an online backup working, is making all my updates/changes to SplashID on the PC, then exporting to the Pre. This will work, just be ungainly. (Made more so by the bug in Pre SplashID that prevents it from importing .vid files with more than 100 records. Irk. Come on Splash - release a new version already!) Or, finding another password app.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Ah - found what I was looking for: SyncToy. Free tool that helps you make a synced version of the Pre's USB space on your pc:
    SyncToy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other thing I'll be doing until Splash gets an online backup working, is making all my updates/changes to SplashID on the PC, then exporting to the Pre. This will work, just be ungainly. (Made more so by the bug in Pre SplashID that prevents it from importing .vid files with more than 100 records. Irk. Come on Splash - release a new version already!) Or, finding another password app.
    Is the pc version free? I didn't know there was a pc version. I also wonder if they will come up with a way of syncing to it wirelessly for the pre or even make it cloud styled and remote connect to your pc and sync automatically.
    ^yes the desktop version of SplashID is free.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    ^yes the desktop version of SplashID is free.
    Uh, not any more:

Password Management Software - Password Vault Manager - SplashID

$19.95 (though there is a 30-day trial version)
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Uh, not any more:

Password Management Software - Password Vault Manager - SplashID

$19.95 (though there is a 30-day trial version)
    Unfortunately unless it is free if you bought one of the other versions. I'm debating on if i will buy spalshID when it goes paid. I thought I would use it more than I do. Which in part is why I'm looking to export the data. i may try alternatives and go with which one is cost effective for what I use it for. I'm one of those who stored the info in an offline electronic form like a txt file that can't be accessed by anyone unless they come to my house and steal my SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I recommend using the same password just in case--I don't know if that's necessary or not, but that's what I did.
    I should hope it is necessary, otherwise the info. in it is not very safe from a phone thief!
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    No need to gain root access.

All I did was install internalz and its file manager service.

Then just navigate to /var/palm/data/ then find the folder called file_var.usr.palm.applicatioins.com.splashdata.app.splashid_0/

Copy that folder and select /media/internal as the destination folder.

This will give you a copy of your splashID database in your USB partition that you can see when you connect your Pre to your computer. Make a copy of this folder on your computer.

To restore after a hard reset or Doctor session just reverse these steps.

Question: What's this file manager service you mentioned? I DL'ed the Internalz app but when I try to open it I get an error b/c it needs root access.

plz help.
    Last edited by cpezie; 11/08/2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added a quote
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpezie View Post
    Question: What's this file manager service you mentioned? I DL'ed the Internalz app but when I try to open it I get an error b/c it needs root access.

plz help.
    Did you also download the File Manager Service? It is required.
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I thought others may find this helpful.

So, I lost SplashID back when they removed it from the app catalogue outside the US and have been patiently waiting for us to get the paid apps. Today that finally happened and so I downloaded SplashID. I was pleasantly surprised to find I wasn't charged (presumably as my profile lists that I already had it).

So, to restore all that old data I returned to this thread. I had taken a backup of the .db way back (before splashID had a backup facility) and wanted to try to make it live. Fortunately it turned out to be quite easy.

The paths have changed since this thread was made but I found that the current SplashID db is stored here:

./var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.splashdata.app.splashid_0/0000000000000040.db

(your numbers may vary.)

So I did the following on a command line:

cp /media/internal/SplashBackup.db /var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.splashdata.app.splashid_0/0000000000000040.db

And, hey presto, all my data is back!

I think you need to run up splashID to get the inital file created and you should close it down before doing the copy but, other than that it was a doddle. I had to run a find command to get the location of the db file and that was the hardest part.

Hope this helps someone else.

EDIT: Eek, suddenly thought, it's the 1st so I'd better say that this is no joke, just a bit of good news for a change.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast