Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Hello all. This is my first Post so please don't ride me to hard if I am doing something wrong. With that said, can anyone tell me if the Palm Pre has any plans to update the Google Maps App. to include " STREET VIEW " I like the phone, but it would be nice to have this option as well. And if this question was already covered, Sorry about that
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gemster18 View Post
    Hello all. This is my first Post so please don't ride me to hard if I am doing something wrong. With that said, can anyone tell me if the Palm Pre has any plans to update the Google Maps App. to include " STREET VIEW " I like the phone, but it would be nice to have this option as well. And if this question was already covered, Sorry about that
    Seeing how this is the first version of GMaps for the Pre, we can't expect all of the features to be rolled out in v1.0. Same with the iPhone Maps application. It took a while for Street View to be implemented. Give it some time. webOS 1.1 is due soon. I'm sure once summer is over and the Pre gets more popular, Palm will seriously step its game up.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    They also do not have the mass-transit directions showing. I was a bit dissappointed with not having this. I live in New York City and my WM touchpro has the mass-transit view, which you can guess is helpful with finding out the nearest subway is to a certain location. I've also used it when I've been in London and other major cities. Hope they add it in.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    hopefully they will add this in an update later on. Street view is quite helpfull at times.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    This would be an AWSOME addition!
    Quote Originally Posted by gemster18 View Post
    I like the phone, but
    I agree that having all the features google maps offers is a good thing, and I hope it is available soon.

The problem I have (nitpicking here) is the I like the phone but...

I could understand saying, "I like the phone, but the battery isn't the best"

Or "I like the phone, but there are only 30 apps so far (excluding homebrew)

It seems to me a little wierd to say I like the phone, but not really because Google hasn't implemented street view yet.

Again, I know I am nitpicking, but I hope your view of the Pre is not clouded by a third party app not doing all you want it to.

This is a great thread, please post more like this.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    You make a very good point Pogey.... yes I am nitpicking a bit. however with that said... Streetview would be nice to have.. I am pretty sure that we will see it implamented in a bit.
    I'm with waynew73 in my opinion google transit directions are more critical, at least for me. Transit directions come extremely handy when you're in a city and totally lost without a car. Street View is a neat feature but I think I'd rarely use it on my Pre. My big issues with StreetView is that at times when you pull up an address it's sometimes pulling the wrong address.(not totally wrong but off by a few buildings/address) So I rarely use it.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    It would be great if Google would update their blog about a release schedule for Google Maps on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    where do you go to see googles blog anyway?
    Street view uses flash...no flash on any phone (yet) = no street view on pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
    Street view doesn't use flash on the Iphone. Pre will get it sooner or later. Not too worried.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
    Its a collection of images and business logic. They can implement on almost any platform. It will come in time..
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Holding my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    They also do not have the mass-transit directions showing. I was a bit dissappointed with not having this. I live in New York City and my WM touchpro has the mass-transit view, which you can guess is helpful with finding out the nearest subway is to a certain location. I've also used it when I've been in London and other major cities. Hope they add it in.
    The lack of transit and walking directions is big, to me at least. If I want driving directions, I can use fire up Sprint Nav, so getting driving directions via the Google Maps app is pretty pointless on this phone. The subway directions on the WM version came in so handy in my last visit to NYC, as were the walking directions.

Street View can hopefully wait until they include these two truly functional features.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    what is so hard about navagating the subway? I grew up in the Bronx, N.Y. ITS NOT THAT DIFFICULT TO GET AROUND USING THE TRAINS DUDE. there numbered and color coded. How can you say that Streetview would not be that important? its a part of google that other phones have already, and we should have it on the Pre. thats all there is to it.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Alright... its May 12, 2010... And still no STREETVIEW with Google Maps!!! Whats the deal? when will the Pre get this much needed Update from Google? Unreal!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Probably Android only feature.
    Google Maps needs an update, and not just for Street View. It opens way too slowly. YP Mobile actually opens quite a bit faster (using Bing Maps), but doesn't have as elegant a UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    Probably Android only feature.
    Uh, no. Its on Windows Mobile, Symbian, and Blackberry as well, and has been for a while. I believe this is the ONLY smartphone OS without it.

I'm not sure what Palm is doing with the Google Maps program, but its disappointing.