Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    It's because this google maps version is utter cR@p !

It's so basic and full of bugs, I'm so furious that Pre buyers are treated as second rate citizens by google. I want REAL google maps, I want Latitude, I want Google Voice, I want Tasks sync and REAL Gmail

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I have the Airave and live in Las Vegas. When I try to use Google Maps in my house it also puts me in Long Beach!
    Quote Originally Posted by packfanlv View Post
    I have the Airave and live in Las Vegas. When I try to use Google Maps in my house it also puts me in Long Beach!
    You wish. Long Beach current temp, 10:30pm, 68 F. Las Vegas current, 99 F.
    I had this issue too. The Sprint Navigation app got me lost pretty bad. The next day everything was fine. I was afraid something was wrong with the GPS chip when I was one day away from my 30 day return window so I exchanged it.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I just checked Google Maps and it puts me on the shoulder of the highway that is about a 1/4 mile from my place. Checked it a few weeks ago and it put me a couple miles away. Maybe it just takes a few months before it can pinpoint where you actually are
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  6.    #26  
    Looks like I spoke too soon. Google maps as of 2:00 am is putting me back in long beach.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    If you aren't outside with a clear view of a good chunk of the sky, don't expect ANY GPS to work properly.

I have noticed that there is a particular spot about 10 miles away that my pre places me when I am in a place where GPS is not working. I wonder if that is the location of the tower I am connecting to.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    If you aren't outside with a clear view of a good chunk of the sky, don't expect ANY GPS to work properly.

I have noticed that there is a particular spot about 10 miles away that my pre places me when I am in a place where GPS is not working. I wonder if that is the location of the tower I am connecting to.
    yes... thats what it is... then it shows where you are at after the gps locks on
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure this issue relates to the airave. The phone thinks of the airave as a tower and the Long Beach location might be a hub of some sort where the airave sends its data on the internet. I'm up in the bay area and it shows me in alameda, ca (15 miles away over a mountain) when I have location services enabled and am in range of my airave. If I turn the airave and gps off, and enable auto locate, it shows me either at my local cell tower or perhaps a triangulated point between the two or more closest towers.

QUOTE=rmbwebs;1754930]If you aren't outside with a clear view of a good chunk of the sky, don't expect ANY GPS to work properly.

I have noticed that there is a particular spot about 10 miles away that my pre places me when I am in a place where GPS is not working. I wonder if that is the location of the tower I am connecting to.[/QUOTE]
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure, google maps is try to tell you where you SHOULD be.
    I have had issues with google maps and via universal search although mine was WAY OFF.. I type something in universal search and select google maps and for some strange reason I get results for eastern Europe!!
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Folks
    I am not sure if you use google maps often.
    I use it often to search things.

Lately the quality of the searches is gone. May be google is tweaking its logic , but the other day I searched for walmart.
    Found one near my location (GPS) , typed the address into Navigation.

Drove till the end point, it put me in front of someone's house.

Later I inquired about whether a walmart existed at the location . The answer was never.

Then jumped to the google maps card on the pre and made a quick phone call by tapping on the phone no in the results.

To my surprise the phone number was of a WALMART from another town , which is 60 miles away.

Google maps is loosing the quality.
    I just downloaded the WHERE app from the app catalog. It uses Location Services to plot your location.

Guess where it says I am? Chestnut Ave, Long Beach, CA 90813.
    Interesting. Mine sometimes places me just south of LaGuardia airport (I ain't nowhere near there), but it resolves as soon as it's got a GPS lock. Yes, I do have an Airave.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    it's because this google maps version is utter cr@p !

It's so basic and full of bugs, i'm so furious that pre buyers are treated as second rate citizens by google. I want real google maps, i want latitude, i want google voice, i want tasks sync and real gmail

eggzagtly,
    Moved from Palm Pre forum to webOS Apps and Software forum.

- Craig
    I'll bet you all are experience a time issue and there is nothing wrong with GPS.

GPS works essentially by calculating distance from several satellites then basing your position by knowing precisely where the satellite is at a precise moment. That is, it figures you're x amount of distance from satellites 5, 9, 11, and 12 at 13:21:00, looks up a table of where the satellites are at that time, then averages out your location.

Make sure you have network time set to ON in your settings. If the time kept bobbles a bit, it will throw off your location. Not that network time is not rock solid, but it's better than the time your Pre will keep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I'll bet you all are experience a time issue and there is nothing wrong with GPS.

GPS works essentially by calculating distance from several satellites then basing your position by knowing precisely where the satellite is at a precise moment. That is, it figures you're x amount of distance from satellites 5, 9, 11, and 12 at 13:21:00, looks up a table of where the satellites are at that time, then averages out your location.
    GPS signals have the satellite time encoded in them. They don't use the devices local time in their calculations.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Actually, the issue (after a bit of testing on my end - and feel free to test on yours) is simple. If your WiFi IP is in another location, Google Maps defaults to that location. Plain and simple. I have an Airave in the house along with Wifi. When WiFi is turned on, it places me someplace in Queens (I live in Suffolk county on Long Island in NY). This is about 30-40 miles away - and it's listed as "inexact". As soon as I disable Wifi, and revert back to Ev / 1X w/ the Airrave, my correct location is showed immiedately WITHOUT the round bluish circle - instead shown my exact location (I'm guessing this is due to either the GPS in the phone picking up on it, or the Airrave's GPS transmitting to the Pre).

Try it - turn your WiFi off and watch your location magically change.
    Turning off wifi did the trick, for google and WHERE. Thanks. Plain and simple it may be, but the issue with google maps is an intermittent one with me when I am at home, and wifi is always on.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast