Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
       #1  
    I wonder if all the new developers will have to wait for the WebOS 1.1 release before they can release new apps.

    Since they are still writing the APIs, it would make sense that apps written now might not work under new APIs.

    Any insight on this here?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  2. #2  
    I don't think there will be any breaking of current APIs. What there will be is adding to them. I think the biggest hold up right now is getting the App Catalog where they need it.
  3. #3  
    I can't see how things progress without a payment mechanism in place. I think that will be the sign that the catalog will start growing quickly.
  4. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    I can't see how things progress without a payment mechanism in place. I think that will be the sign that the catalog will start growing quickly.
    There is a payment mechanism in place. With Classic you pay on the MotionApps web site, and put in your code and you done.

    A payment mechanism with App Store is what your talking about. I'm surprised that is not ready.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  5. cooltpmd's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #5  
    The iPhone benefited greatly from the generosity of developers initially and even now. If the Pre comes with hands out right away ... I think it will fail.

    People may disagree ... but MOST people simply will not pay for MOST programs. you simply need to view the web to see this. Google, Yahoo, ESPN, etc... have found a way to build usage and survivie for free. The iPhone environment has grown with a large mass of free or VERY low cost applications ... the fact that you can get hundreds of free/inexpensive applications DRAWS people to the hardware.

    The $30 emulator is a huge price ... even for me who has a bunch of old Palm OS programs I'd love to platy with on the Pre. It shows a sever lack of savvy & insight. I won't do it. I am surrounded by people love the device (as do I) but refuse to buy software.

    I really will be interested to see what software people will be willing to buy for more than a couple of bucks ... other than large medical reference works.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltpmd View Post
    The iPhone benefited greatly from the generosity of developers initially and even now. If the Pre comes with hands out right away ... I think it will fail.

    People may disagree ... but MOST people simply will not pay for MOST programs. you simply need to view the web to see this. Google, Yahoo, ESPN, etc... have found a way to build usage and survivie for free. The iPhone environment has grown with a large mass of free or VERY low cost applications ... the fact that you can get hundreds of free/inexpensive applications DRAWS people to the hardware.

    The $30 emulator is a huge price ... even for me who has a bunch of old Palm OS programs I'd love to platy with on the Pre. It shows a sever lack of savvy & insight. I won't do it. I am surrounded by people love the device (as do I) but refuse to buy software.

    I really will be interested to see what software people will be willing to buy for more than a couple of bucks ... other than large medical reference works.
    its not about people like you and most people are will to spend some money on apps maybe not $30 but some if they are good especially people who don't know know how to install homebrew apps, which is a lot of people. don't get me wrong i won't be buying apps either but trust me people will buy apps that is part of the reason why not more apps are coming out. a lot of developers want money for there product.
  7. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
       #7  
    My suspicion seems more likely by the rumored release of 1.1 next week. Don't hold your breath for new apps until then
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  8. cooltpmd's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #8  
    You may be misunderstanding me. This is not opinion.

    Market studies are consistently showing ... people aren't buying apps. I'm not talking about $.99 iFart applications .... that model is working great, low price/high volume is a success. Some people here though are thinking like old Palm ... an example I am using, the very 1st to charge on the Pre is $30 for an application that really is only a bridge until WebOS is better supported.

    Once people can have their reference material & apps on the WebOS ... the emulator will be worthless. If you read the consumers ... the price is actually pissing people off to the Pre (most Palm consumers expected that as a feature).

    If it were $5-10, people would pony up & shut up.

    All I am saying is that, if the Pre becomes a device for pricey applications it WILL fail ... few people are desiring that. If, like it's Apple counterpart, it develops a low cost usefulness, I see it as a huge success.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltpmd View Post
    You may be misunderstanding me. This is not opinion.

    Market studies are consistently showing ... people aren't buying apps. I'm not talking about $.99 iFart applications .... that model is working great, low price/high volume is a success. Some people here though are thinking like old Palm ... an example I am using, the very 1st to charge on the Pre is $30 for an application that really is only a bridge until WebOS is better supported.

    Once people can have their reference material & apps on the WebOS ... the emulator will be worthless. If you read the consumers ... the price is actually pissing people off to the Pre (most Palm consumers expected that as a feature).

    If it were $5-10, people would pony up & shut up.

    All I am saying is that, if the Pre becomes a device for pricey applications it WILL fail ... few people are desiring that. If, like it's Apple counterpart, it develops a low cost usefulness, I see it as a huge success.
    I have to agree that the $30 price for Classic was much more than I had anticipated. Had it been priced at $10 as you said, I think a lot more people would have bought the app.

    High priced apps for your high priced phone, on your high priced monthly Sprint plan - not a good combo.

    Something has to give, and I'm sure it'll be the high priced apps.

    Hopefully, developers who will be charging for their apps will look at the success of, and I hate to say it, the iPhone app catalog.

    Like you said, they need to be thinking, "I could charge $1 for the app and have 2000 people download it, or $10 dollars for the app, and only 50 people download it."
  10. #10  
    I bet when 1.1 comes out, the SDK will be released to the public also with improved API support and documentation.

    I would guess that current developers probably get 1.1 early if they are one of the current 30 applications.

Posting Permissions