Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Hello,

Just got my Pre the other day & LOVE it so far! I have a question about the GPS on it. Is it true GPS or is it cell triangulation? Also, is there any way to display in either Google Maps or Sprint Navigation your speed? Also, I have a Garmin IQ3600 that will show me the accuracy, satalite data & location, stuff like that, is there any way to see that on the Pre?

Thanks!

Mike
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McRoth View Post
    Hello,

Just got my Pre the other day & LOVE it so far! I have a question about the GPS on it. Is it true GPS or is it cell triangulation? Also, is there any way to display in either Google Maps or Sprint Navigation your speed? Also, I have a Garmin IQ3600 that will show me the accuracy, satalite data & location, stuff like that, is there any way to see that on the Pre?

Thanks!

Mike
    Not sure about Sprint Navigation or Google Maps showing speed.

go to the Dialer and type in ##GPS# and play with that for accuracy and what not. They claim Assisted GPS which combines Cell Towers and Satellite info. But I've had it working when I have no cell signal.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    No,
    The Pre has a Sirf III GPS chip in it. Its a real GPS, doesn't use triangulation to aquire the Signal.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    It is real GPS.

I am a Garmin user and i was very impressed with Sprint navigation.

As usual, the speaker volume is too low on the Pre, so a volume boost is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RBorden629 View Post
    No,
    The Pre has a Sirf III GPS chip in it. Its a real GPS, doesn't use triangulation to aquire the Signal.
    I think that it does use triangulation to speed up acquisition of the satellites, where a cell signal is available.
    it doesn't show those right now, but the api has calls for velocity, heading, and accuracy.

the cell signal is useful in speeding up satellite acquisition due to downloading of ephemeris data.
    So this phone has the correct accuracy for use with golf gps programs etc? (like blackberry storm or IPhone)

Does anyone know if such programs exist for this Phone yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by brianr0131 View Post
    So this phone has the correct accuracy for use with golf gps programs etc? (like blackberry storm or IPhone)

Does anyone know if such programs exist for this Phone yet?
    Not yet, but being discussed in a couple of threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianr0131 View Post
    So this phone has the correct accuracy for use with golf gps programs etc?

um, what's the correct accuracy for use with golf gps programs? gps accuracy varies depending on a lot of factors, for all receivers.
    Anyone familiar with a gps training app. similar to runGPS
    Quote Originally Posted by rhodesrl12 View Post
    Anyone familiar with a gps training app. similar to runGPS
    One is being worked on here:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-7-19-nrr.html

And, as far as accuracy, I often get accuracy of less than 10 feet with the pre, which is as good as my Garmin ever gets.