Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You can hide ads on AccuWeather application by adding couple of lines to the main.css stylesheet located below.

/var/usr/palm/applications/com.accuweather.palm/stylesheets/main.css

Add "display: none;" to the following two classes to hide the ad-banner: #adspace and #adbutton

So these two classes after modifications would look like...

#adspace {
    z-index:888;
    height:50px;
    overflow:hidden;
    width: 320px;
    background-color:#666666;
    position: fixed;
    top: 320px;
    left: -300px;
    float:left;
    line-height:20px;
    padding: 0 0 0 0;
    display: none;
    }

#adbutton {
    text-align:center;
    line-height:46px;
    height:48px;
    width: 18px;
    border: solid 1px white;
    background-color: #333333;
    float:right;
    display: none;
    }

Last edited by v120.vantage; 07/15/2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: removed attached doc
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    most of the apps can be hacked to remove the ads/etc..

But I would suggest not starting threads about it.. (since companies tend to get annoyed with things like this..)

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    most of the apps can be hacked to remove the ads/etc..

But I would suggest not starting threads about it.. (since companies tend to get annoyed with things like this..)

-mark
    Also note: required phone reboot for me.

Very concise, simple, to the point mod and description here.
    Doesnt require restart.

Just send this command:

sudo luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    Doesnt require restart.

Just send this command:
    That'll also work, but it was 1am and I wasn't thinking, so I just typed reboot into putty.
    Wonder how long this thread will last on here...
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by optik678 View Post
    Wonder how long this thread will last on here...

I don't know either but I'm copying this for future reference.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    What bothers me about this thread is not just that developers are going to be less motivated to offer free apps (but with ads), but that it highlights the fact that Pre apps are very easy to hack and modify. As a user, I like this. But it also means that a number of good developers will simply refuse to write for the Pre, if their work cannot be protected.

I know a few developers that have products on other platforms that go out of their way to write complex routines to protect their work from being stolen. I'm pretty sure they won't write for the Pre, which is a shame.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    What bothers me about this thread is not just that developers are going to be less motivated to offer free apps (but with ads), but that it highlights the fact that Pre apps are very easy to hack and modify. As a user, I like this. But it also means that a number of good developers will simply refuse to write for the Pre, if their work cannot be protected.

I know a few developers that have products on other platforms that go out of their way to write complex routines to protect their work from being stolen. I'm pretty sure they won't write for the Pre, which is a shame.

The whole concept behind WebOS is the flexibility. Developers may still earn by selling their apps for one time charge from individual but including ads in app isn't just the way to mint bucks.

How would you like to see ads on your Windows or Mac apps (apart from websites)? I don't think so. Palm Pre is as good palmtop as Windows or Mac laptop and it does have a web browser in case if anyone wants to see the ads!! And no-one is stealing anybody's work, it's all about improving the user interface and keeping it real. I believe nobody's spending $$$ in buying pre for nothing and that's the reason why we all are here flicking through precentral and predev wikidot!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    There are several tools that savvy developers can use to compress and obfuscate their JavaScript and their CSS. Doing that would discourage casual hackers as well as making it much more obvious if some simply copied someone's code.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by v120.vantage View Post
    The whole concept behind WebOS is the flexibility. Developers may still earn by selling their apps for one time charge from individual but including ads in app isn't just the way to mint bucks.

How would you like to see ads on your Windows or Mac apps (apart from websites)? I don't think so. Palm Pre is as good palmtop as Windows or Mac laptop and it does have a web browser in case if anyone wants to see the ads!! And no-one is stealing anybody's work, it's all about improving the user interface and keeping it real. I believe nobody's spending $$$ in buying pre for nothing and that's the reason why we all are here flicking through precentral and predev wikidot!
    That totally misses my point.

Developers are not going to be happy that anyone can make "changes" to their apps, including having the ability to remove code that checks to see that an app is registered. Or even something as simple as being able to change the UI.

My hats off to people that write apps and give them away or sell them for free.

Do you know many authors that would be happy to have someone make "changes" to their novel and then post free copies on the Internet?

Like I said, I've already spoken to a few developers that have said that if WebOS apps can't be protected, they aren't developing for the platform. The fact that someone shelled out $$$$ for the phone doesn't mean that the developers get a dime.
  13.    #13  
    That totally misses my point.

Developers are not going to be happy that anyone can make "changes" to their apps, including having the ability to remove code that checks to see that an app is registered. Or even something as simple as being able to change the UI.

My hats off to people that write apps and give them away or sell them for free.

Do you know many authors that would be happy to have someone make "changes" to their novel and then post free copies on the Internet?

Like I said, I've already spoken to a few developers that have said that if WebOS apps can't be protected, they aren't developing for the platform. The fact that someone shelled out $$$$ for the phone doesn't mean that the developers get a dime.

The right thing to do would be to submit the suggestion to Palm to make WebOS protected like Apple! There are two types of developers in this world, 0 and 1 (in binary). 0 would stop developing but 1 would continue to.

Everyone is developer at predev wikidot, helping each other, making new homebrew applications, and all with no expectation what so ever! I bet there is a long queue for joining predev still awaiting approval so they can be a part of palm pre development. Per you, i may be missing your point but i'm proving mine.

It's a controversial topic and can go on and on but we are not here for debate. Lets just stick to one goal - improvement & development of Palm Pre.
    "I'm more Palm than Apple ever since I got my Pre!" - v12
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Purely as a lesson in CSS, I will contribute this:

Code:
    #adspace, #adbutton {display: none;}
    Added to the end of the file will be a neater and more easily-removed modification. You could also comment it thus:

Code:
    /* Hiding ads.  Remove following line to return to default*/
    #adspace, #adbutton {display: none;}

Also, adspace and adbutton are not classes, they are IDs. #something is a css rule for the element with id="something" whereas .something would be a css rule for any element with class="something"
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hey, I'm glad you found it. What are the chances of making it into a patch in the git repo to use with quilt, like others on the predev wiki?
    Well it makes the banner blank is all. It still slides out, now it is just blank.... not too useful really.... unless I'm missing something or did this incorrectly....

I dont think this is the case. It will probably be a lesson to not make ads annoying. That damn banner keeps opening and closing and is very annoying. maybe a little more forethought before developing an app like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Well it makes the banner blank is all. It still slides out, now it is just blank.... not too useful really.... unless I'm missing something or did this incorrectly....
    Yeah, there's ways to fix that too, though I'm personally of the impression that this isn't the place for that. Here's a hint though, check the assistant javascripts for each view.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    You are surely missing something out or didn't modify css properly. I don't see a thing after applying this patch and restarting the device. Try it one more time, you'll get there. No banner and no space. Goodluck.
    "I'm more Palm than Apple ever since I got my Pre!" - v12
    Quote Originally Posted by v120.vantage View Post
    You are surely missing something out or didn't modify css properly. I don't see a thing after applying this patch and restarting the device. Try it one more time, you'll get there. No banner and no space. Goodluck.
    You are right, I put the "display: none;" under the #adspace a section..... instead of #adspace. Thanks, this is much better.... that slide out ad was SO annoying....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast