Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The AccuWeather app for the Palm Pre is a slick, attractive app that overcomes its few flaws and rivals the best that weather apps on other mobile operating systems offer. It’s a must-have app for any Palm Pre owner. Note: This is a review of version 0.9.16.

There are four main screens, labeled on the bottom bar with a sun (15-day forecast), a clock (hour-by-hour), a radar map, and stars (activities). When you open the app, you automatically start at the 15-day forecast. Here you can see the general weather condition (cloudy, sunny, thunderstorms, etc.) and highs/lows for the next five days. You can swipe through to show the next 15 days. You can also see the “RealFeel” temperature, the wind/humidity status, and a one-line description of the current weather conditions. Tapping on a different day will provide a description of the weather conditions for that day.

Clicking on the menu tab will bring up the option to add a location, delete a location, and switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius or vice versa. After you’ve added a location, you can easily switch between them by tapping on the name of the city at the top of the screen and choosing from a list.

Right next to the name of the city is an icon that displays a moon or a sun, representing night or day conditions. This is actually confusing, because the icon reflects the time of day you want to switch to, not the current time of day. For example, when the sun icon is up, you are actually looking at night time conditions (notice that the lows are bigger on the 15-day forecast instead of the highs).

The second screen (clock icon) shows a nice hour-by-hour forecast. You can swipe through them for quite a while (probably several days, but I haven’t tried) and get separate winds/humidity/dew point information, along with a unique “RealFeel” temperature for each hour. One thing to improve it would be to include the day/date somewhere so that you always know what you’re looking at.

The third screen is the radar map. It’s pretty awesome to look at, especially if rain is coming, but it’s not interactive at all (can’t scroll or zoom) and it zooms out pretty far from your location. Still, the radar map is a nice touch that I appreciate.

The fourth screen (stars icon) shows you various conditions or activities that are excellent, fair, or poor given the current weather conditions. For example, today would’ve been great to barbeque on the beach, even if you have arthritis and asthma. You can customize this to your liking by either swiping off the ones you don’t care about to the right or clicking on the list icon at the top, next to the city name. It’s somewhat gimmicky, but pretty interesting and fun.

What is conspicuously missing from this app is an indicator for chance of precipitation. I always look for a percentage whenever I see a rain icon, so I know whether to bring an umbrella or not, but there is none to be found here. Definitely the biggest flaw I can find in this otherwise stellar app. Another relatively minor flaw is in changing cities from screens other than the main 15-day forecast. If you are in the radar map view, for example, and want to see the radar map for a different city, it will first go back to the 15-day forecast, and you’ll have to tap on the radar map icon to get back there. This is just a small flaw that most likely won’t bother many people. Also, understand that this is an ad-supported free app, so every time you switch views (from 15-day to hour-by-hour, for example) a small ad will pop out for a few seconds and then pop back in (notice the rectangle/triangle thing on the bottom left of each screen capture).

Switching from a BlackBerry Curve (I had TheWeatherEye installed on it), I miss being able to see the weather information without even opening the app (although it seems that an active home screen may alleviate this problem). Compared to the default app on the iPhone, this is better in every way. Compared to the Weather Channel app also on the iPhone, I’d say this one just narrowly beats it (mostly because it seems to run faster and has the goofy list of things that are good/bad to do for the current weather). All in all, this is a must-have app for anyone with a Pre and is probably the best one I have used on any mobile phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/15/2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by foggylemon View Post
    The AccuWeather app for the Palm Pre is a slick, attractive app that overcomes its few flaws and rivals the best that weather apps on other mobile operating systems offer. It’s a must-have app for any Palm Pre owner. Note: This is a review of version 0.9.16.

There are four main screens, labeled on the bottom bar with a sun (15-day forecast), a clock (hour-by-hour), a radar map, and stars (activities). When you open the app, you automatically start at the 15-day forecast. Here you can see the general weather condition (cloudy, sunny, thunderstorms, etc.) and highs/lows for the next five days. You can swipe through to show the next 15 days. You can also see the “RealFeel” temperature, the wind/humidity status, and a one-line description of the current weather conditions. Tapping on a different day will provide a description of the weather conditions for that day.

Clicking on the menu tab will bring up the option to add a location, delete a location, and switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius or vice versa. After you’ve added a location, you can easily switch between them by tapping on the name of the city at the top of the screen and choosing from a list.

Right next to the name of the city is an icon that displays a moon or a sun, representing night or day conditions. This is actually confusing, because the icon reflects the time of day you want to switch to, not the current time of day. For example, when the sun icon is up, you are actually looking at night time conditions (notice that the lows are bigger on the 15-day forecast instead of the highs).

The second screen (clock icon) shows a nice hour-by-hour forecast. You can swipe through them for quite a while (probably several days, but I haven’t tried) and get separate winds/humidity/dew point information, along with a unique “RealFeel” temperature for each hour. One thing to improve it would be to include the day/date somewhere so that you always know what you’re looking at.

The third screen is the radar map. It’s pretty awesome to look at, especially if rain is coming, but it’s not interactive at all (can’t scroll or zoom) and it zooms out pretty far from your location. Still, the radar map is a nice touch that I appreciate.

The fourth screen (stars icon) shows you various conditions or activities that are excellent, fair, or poor given the current weather conditions. For example, today would’ve been great to barbeque on the beach, even if you have arthritis and asthma. You can customize this to your liking by either swiping off the ones you don’t care about to the right or clicking on the list icon at the top, next to the city name. It’s somewhat gimmicky, but pretty interesting and fun.

What is conspicuously missing from this app is an indicator for chance of precipitation. I always look for a percentage whenever I see a rain icon, so I know whether to bring an umbrella or not, but there is none to be found here. Definitely the biggest flaw I can find in this otherwise stellar app. Another relatively minor flaw is in changing cities from screens other than the main 15-day forecast. If you are in the radar map view, for example, and want to see the radar map for a different city, it will first go back to the 15-day forecast, and you’ll have to tap on the radar map icon to get back there. This is just a small flaw that most likely won’t bother many people. Also, understand that this is an ad-supported free app, so every time you switch views (from 15-day to hour-by-hour, for example) a small ad will pop out for a few seconds and then pop back in (notice the rectangle/triangle thing on the bottom left of each screen capture).

Switching from a BlackBerry Curve (I had TheWeatherEye installed on it), I miss being able to see the weather information without even opening the app (although it seems that an active home screen may alleviate this problem). Compared to the default app on the iPhone, this is better in every way. Compared to the Weather Channel app also on the iPhone, I’d say this one just narrowly beats it (mostly because it seems to run faster and has the goofy list of things that are good/bad to do for the current weather). All in all, this is a must-have app for anyone with a Pre and is probably the best one I have used on any mobile phone.
    Just call me Berd.
    Wow! Great app. Thanks for the headsup.
    I would much rather have the Weather Channel app I had on the iPhone. It was perfect especially the video forecast (perfect for when a storm is coming). I also tend to find that Accuweather tends to be off when it comes to temp. I'm not positive but it seems like they're updating the data much less frequently than the weather channel app.

Just my 2 cents. I'm hoping Weather Channel ports their app to WebOS and it still remains free. I'm in no way promoting the iPhone I think the Accuweather app is a good starter but Weather Channel is the defacto standard when it comes to weather in the United States. At least in my opinion!
    I couldn't get my app to work anymore! I installed the update and now it just gets stuck in the loading phase.
    just deleted it to try and reinstall it - "App Catalog unavailable. Try again later."
    Great...good thing I have an office with a window!
    looks pretty nice
    Nice review. Quite thorough!
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKat View Post
    I couldn't get my app to work anymore! I installed the update and now it just gets stuck in the loading phase.
    just deleted it to try and reinstall it - "App Catalog unavailable. Try again later."
    Great...good thing I have an office with a window!
    The App Catalog was down this afternoon, dunno why, maybe because WebOS 1.1 was about to be released. Anyway, Accuweather is still working for me, latest version of Accuweater and WebOS 1.1.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I went to download Accuweather today in the App Gallery but it was missing. Does anyone have the link or file for me to install it? Or know when it will be back?
    Quote Originally Posted by trukansan View Post
    I went to download Accuweather today in the App Gallery but it was missing. Does anyone have the link or file for me to install it? Or know when it will be back?
    It's showing up in the catalog for me.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Can you send me the URL? I am showing only 2 weather apps and neither one is Accuweather. I have gone through the entire app list 4-5 times and it is not there for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by trukansan View Post
    Can you send me the URL? I am showing only 2 weather apps and neither one is Accuweather. I have gone through the entire app list 4-5 times and it is not there for me.
    I don't think so, but maybe it's for the Sprint phones only? I don't think there is a way in the app catalog to specify a region though so it doesn't make sense why it's not showing up.

It should be the first app under popular on the front screen.
    To me the single most important thing a weather apps does is provide high resolution animated radar.

It is great that the AccuWeather app can tell you if this is good "Arthritis" or "Grass Growing" weather.

But if I am sitting at my kid's game or at the beach or biking or hiking and see dark coulds rolling in, I need real high resolution animated radar that can show me how they are moving.

And the Accuweather radar is:
    1. Not ainmated
    2. Low resoltuon
    3. Not full screen

Would you note in your review that we do have a real animated full-screen radar weather app:

WxRad Animated Radar Viewer

I also think that in fairness you should mention that with AccuWeather you have the constant ads that go across your screen. If you click them to make them go away you instead go to their websites.

In addition, I think that it would be fair to mention that the Accuweather app for the iPhone is the same low resolution but at least is animated.

At some point the AccuWeather radar may be as good as the WxRad app but AccuWeather has a long way to go.

Knowing how is storm is moving in can save a life. It is great to know that today is great for Grass Growing, but isn't that usually done in the basement?

- Craig
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    That is strange. Right now I am showing 204 apps and only 2 weather apps, and neither on is Accuweather. Any ideas of why I cannot seem to locate it?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    AccuWeather will do for now but I'm eager to see a weather app that combines the features of both AccuWeather and WxRad.
    if you go to the weather channel their mobile web site is ten times better it has animated radar and you can zoom in by either double tap too zoom in then single tap to zoom in farther then swipe the bottom touch bar to go back it rocks alot better than the accuthingy . and its not an app ,so it takes up no space on ur pre!
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if you go to the weather channel their mobile web site is ten times better...
    Agree. The weather.com mobile web site is so much better I deleted the Accuweather app.
    This weather app , well it looks good. And it will tell you the weather is most parts of the world. BUT you will have to put up with constant Pop-UP adds on every page. and as most have stated it is missing the MOST important thing, and HIGH resolution full color radar map. It is great to know what the weather was like or might be like. but I need to see what is coming MY way. So it is a "Cute" app and does tell the weather forecast. But it is lacing is some major parts. So I am still on the hunt for the perfect weather app for me. Over all you did ok, but the Pop-up adds , you (developers) went TO far.
  19. EXC
    Wow! Great app! Nice review
    AccuWeather over Weather Channel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast