1. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Tweed is a great Twitter app, and the latest iteration (v0.9.10) allows for even more ways to interact with your friends (or "followers") on the Twitter network.

I'm going into this review, assuming you already know what Twitter is and does, but for the entirely uninitiated, here's a quick run down:

Twitter is a social networking site that essentially consists of short updates (called Tweets) which describe what you are doing or thinking at the moment. You are limited to 140 characters for these updates.

You can search for topics that interest you, or even see if there are any reviews of a product you're looking at, while at the store. These short reviews can really be helpful and to the point (a great example is looking for reviews of electronic devices, such as cameras -- you may even find pictures taken by the camera attached to the Tweet.)

When you tap the button for Adding a Tweet, you're presented with the text entry box, as well as 3 options to enhance the message. Add your Location, Add a Photo, and an option to shorten a URL (so you can maximize the use of your 140 characters.)

Adding your location will provide users with a link to Google Maps, with the coordinates of your location when you updated. This will even work on the Pre, automatically opening your Google Maps app.

Adding a photo is a bit trickier, but still easily doable. You must sign up for a Twitter photo service (such as Twitpic, Twitgoo, etc.) A few services are natively supported by the application, and other can be added manually under the "other" option.

You can edit your photo settings by clicking on the Tweed button in the upper left corner and viewing your Preferences & Accounts, then scrolling down to the photo options button.

URL shortening converts your long URL into a tinyurl.com address.

Tweed also allows you to view Trending Topics (what most people are tweeting about), to get notifications of new Tweets and Direct Messages, and if someone sends a message @you.

All the best parts of Twitter are contained in one powerful app from Pivotal Labs. I can honestly say, my interest in Twitter was virtually non-existent until I installed this application.

I had updated my Twitter account only 6 times in 2 years prior to getting a Pre, and have updated 64 more times since June 6th! It's a fun way to stay in touch and keep up to date with events. Tweed makes it easy, too.

With the addition of photo support in v0.9.10, I have to give Tweed a 5/5 review. I look forward to what is next from Pivotal!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried to change the notification settings? Unless I am just stupid, changes made do not 'stick'. For instance, I do not want my Pre to make a sound or vibrate when I get a new 'tweet'. I turned them off, yet it still does both AND when I check the settings again, they are 'on'.
  3. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    i've never actually used that part of the program. i kinda of prefer the "surprise!" of checking. haha. but, that being said, i've never gotten a notification, so it must not have been turned on by default. www.twitter.com/tweed is a great place to get information on the latest updates and ask the developer questions.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFS View Post
    i've never actually used that part of the program. i kinda of prefer the "surprise!" of checking. haha. but, that being said, i've never gotten a notification, so it must not have been turned on by default. Pivotal Labs Tweed (tweed) on Twitter is a great place to get information on the latest updates and ask the developer questions.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm going to follow them now.
    Tweed is cool. I was anti-Twitter initially but now I get it.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Great review!!!! I myself still like the new twee app better. It can be found on precentral home brew apps sections... Twee even lets you search local tweets via gps on your phone. Imho twee is much superior and its not even an official launch yet......way more good to come from twee!!!!

Thanks,
    The Wams
    Quote Originally Posted by shamus_1976 View Post
    Tweed is cool. I was anti-Twitter initially but now I get it.
    I was anti-twitter like you, but when I started just experimenting with Tweed, I started to see the benefits of it
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    This is going to sound silly, but you need to tap the toggle for sound/vibrate on/off and not "slide" it. That should preserve/save the setting.
    is it possible to just have pop up notifications from some people you follow and not others? also how do notifications affect battery life
    now I can twitter wherever I go...current status: taking a ****
    I use twitter solely for development stuff and geek related tasks. This application has everything. When they built it they made sure no other twitter app was going to upstage it.

(also finally have 10 posts, figured if I was going to do this at least crit some of these nice apps).
    The more recent version has photo previewing which was only featured in Twee before. Great how they try to keep up as quickly as possible.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    i find myself using twee more than tweed
    Lately Tweed completely SUCKS for me. When trying to load data from Twitter it just sits there with the big spinner and nothing ever happens.

It used to be fine. Am I the only one experiencing this?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Lately Tweed completely SUCKS for me. When trying to load data from Twitter it just sits there with the big spinner and nothing ever happens.

It used to be fine. Am I the only one experiencing this?
    It's been connecting a lot more consistently for me lately. I've booted a bunch of time going in and out of developer mode, so maybe that has shaken something loose. When I've gotten the spinner, I just close the app then immediately reopen it and everything loads.
    These sporadic connections are not Tweed. They are Twitter.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I agree with TheMarco ... I have been frustrated with Tweed not loading or being extremely slow. The few times it has loaded, it seems like a decent Twitter app. I may go try Twee. I actually prefer Splitweet when I'm on a computer, b/c I manage multiple Twitter accounts (job-related ones and then a personal acct). Luckily, that works on the Pre browser, though not an ideal experience.
    The "Loading from Twitter" problem is definitely a big issue for me.

Otherwise, it's a great twitter app.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I think it might be a problem with Twitter Apps on the pre. I have tried all three of them and ALL three of them have connection issues.
    I just upgraded to the newest version and it is now overall better than Twee with the geotagging.
    Last edited by phillysdon04; 06/04/2010 at 11:39 AM.