Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of the simplest tests of an electronic organizer is using it for rapid scheduling of meetings.

Typically, a colleague will pull out their calendar and together you are going to schedule your next meeting, or a series of them.

You must keep up with their thoughts and utterances while they review their ancient moleskin for open spots in their schedule. This quick move around the calendar and event entry is the quintessential smartphone challenge.

The Pre calendar failed me today.

I was trying to schedule meetings for the next few weeks with the same person. But the time and day were all a little different each week, 6 meetings total.

Because I could not just set a recurring event, and there is no way to copy the same event to a different day, I had to enter them all manually.

After entering one event, I had to decide how to get to the following week. At first I tried just flicking days to the left, but this wouldn't work: my calendar is quite full, and the Pre takes its sweet time rendering each day. While its rendering, the day is grayed out and I can not even flick to the next day. I have to wait, about 5 seconds, for the day to render and graciously allow me to move to the next. This is a common implementation error, where the programmer mistakes merely paging through items with fully viewing them one by one and codes it such that the application is not responsive to user navigation.

Now, most days happened to have an event around the same time I happened to be doing this, and confusingly, the Pre notified me with a ding once each day finished rendering, as if it thought it was actually that time! Weird bug that really got in the way, as if things weren't bad enough already.

So to recap the sequence of actions for finding a day: flick to the following day, wait 5 seconds for it to render and become responsive, then another 5 seconds for the reminder ding to be heard and be able to dismiss the false notification, and finally, flick to the next day, and so I had to stagger and fall through entire weeks.

I thought, maybe I should just do it in month view. But that required constantly switching between day and month view, with the attendant rendering torture. Forget it.

Then I tried the Jump To feature from the menu to get to the next date. Unfortunately, that widget is way too fiddly under pressure, no way I could keep up with a person talking to me about meetings while futzing with it.

In the end I think it took a good few minutes for agreeing and entering the 6 meetings, and I'm sure I entered some errors along the way.

The other person helpfully suggested emailing me all the dates we discussed. That was really embarrassing. Simply terrible. I did put on Pandora afterward and chilled a little but I'm still upset.
    Last edited by sivan; 07/14/2009 at 01:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I have the same issue. This tip posted by jrfougere has been very helpful for me, but I'm hoping for 3rd party relief like Shimon's 2day!

Quote Originally Posted by jrfougere View Post
    One of the great things about the Pre being able to sync with Google Calendar is that you can fully utilize all of Google Calendar's SMS features.

For example, if you're annoyed by all the steps it takes to add an event on the Pre's calendar (especially for events with strange durations/start dates such as 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday), you can just send an SMS to Google Calendar at 48368. Google calendar is pretty smart at creating events so you can even just type in "Dinner with Sarah 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday" and it will create an event for next Wednesday at the correct time. You don't even need to type in the :'s either.

This is also good for making quick tasks. Because the Pre's task program is pretty basic (cannot set task due dates for specific times, just days), I've resorted to making calendar appointments which last 0 minutes to mimic a task reminder. This is a lot easier to do using SMS than creating the event using the Pre's calendar.

Before you can send text messages to google calendar you will need to set up your cell phone by going to google calendar on your computer, clicking on Settings, then Mobile Settings.
    FrankenPre2!!!
  3.    #3  
    Speaking of Gmail, their web calendar is easier to use than the Pre's. That really says something
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I just used the google web calendar and it's pretty slick. Still one problem, some of my events show up and other days they don't... Once I click a day I know I have an event, I can see the event. Sometimes I forget and if I can't see it unless I click on event, that doesn't make sense....am I doing something wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    One of the simplest tests of an electronic organizer is using it for rapid scheduling of meetings.
    After entering one event, I had to decide how to get to the following week. At first I tried just flicking days to the left, but this wouldn't work: my calendar is quite full, and the Pre takes its sweet time rendering each day. While its rendering, the day is grayed out and I can not even flick to the next day. I have to wait, about 5 seconds, for the day to render and graciously allow me to move to the next. This is a common implementation error, where the programmer mistakes merely paging through items with fully viewing them one by one and codes it such that the application is not responsive to user navigation.
    I agree with you, Palm Pre calendar is VERY difficult to move around in. I've added m.google.com/calendar to my book marks. Go to Google's mobile calendar. It is super easy to move around. I've not tried adding reoccuring events, so you're on your own for that one.

On this note, going to find the actual link to Google mobile calendar on my PC, I found it, and it offers to help set it up for your phone. There is a list of phones to choose from and the Palm Pre is NOT listed. What gives, I thought it was supposed to be so tied to google, this confused me.
    One of the first things I did after discovering the Pre's calendar is not searchable was to put Google Calendar link in my launcher (the full Web page, not the mobile version), just for search. But as time goes on, I keep noticing more and more flaws and problems with the Pre's calendar, so I find myself using Google's more and more. I'd say my usage pattern between the two is about 50/50 right now, with Google steadily inching toward the lead.

I keep the Google Calendar view defaulted to weekly, which makes it easy to see what's happening at a glance. If I need to focus on a single day, I simply pinch-zoom. It works great.

Of course, if I'm in an area with slow or nonexistent data service, then I have to use the built-in calendar. So it makes for a good backup, if nothing else.

What I will say in the Pre calendar's favor is that they really did an outstanding job on the look and feel of the day view. The only improvement I'd suggest there would be automatic time stamps on appointments. It shouldn't just say the name of the appointment, but should also say the starting and ending times. But other that, the day view is nearly perfect, very well done.

That's really as far as it goes, though. Once you get past the day view's good looks, the calendar app as a whole seems half-baked. It really feels unfinished, in many, many ways. I could go on all day listing the flaws, but we all know what they are, so I won't bother. All I can say is I sincerely hope they make improvements soon.

In the mean time, until and unless Palm gets around to fixing the problems with the built-in calendar, or a third party makes a better one, Google Calendar will continue to be the best way to go. While it obviously feels really, really silly to own a device with a built-in calendar, and then use a Web calendar in its stead, the situation is what it is.

By the way, for whatever it's worth, the best scheduling device I've ever owned was my trusty old Franklin Planner. There are times I realy miss it. No rendering delays, UI shortcomings, or bugs to be had with pencil & paper. But I can't bring myself to carry around that much bulk anymore. I'm too spoiled by technology, I guess.
    Why could you not set a reoccurring event? I have that option on my Pre Calendar. Not only that but I can easily customize the recurring event using the menus.

To get to a certain date quickly I just tap on the month view which renders in about 1 second then I tap on the day I want which renders in another 1 second.

Once we have been using this calendar for a few months it will get easier and easier. Not too mention I think that Palm will optimize the code to speed up the rendering. As it is now on my device it is already faster than Windows Mobile.

To speed up rendering, what I did was dump my Google calendar into a CSV file and then deleted it from Google. Next I imported all my calendar events older than 1 year into a Google Calendar called "Old Calendar" and then imported all the recent and future events back into my main Google Calendar. I can still see both Calendars on the Pre (thanks to synergy) but the rendering is lightning fast.
    Last edited by rc46; 07/14/2009 at 03:50 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Speaking of Gmail, their web calendar is easier to use than the Pre's. That really says something
    Thanks for that tip. I am just trying out Google's web calendar. How do you set a reminder from the Pre? I see the option when viewing the calendar on my laptop but not my Pre.

This really days something about the Pre's PIM apps. I am substituting Evernote for Memos, Google Tasks for Tasks and now Google calendar. Pretty sad!
    I'm now using Google Calendar 100%, but "Synergy" is still flawed. Many appts that I enter on Google Calendar via my home PC are "syncing" to the NEXT day on my Pre! For those of us with a long history using the Palm OS, with it's SUPERB Calendar, Memo, and Task functions, it's apparent that when it comes to PDA funtionality, the Pre stands for "prehistoric!" Palm needs to address these shortcomings PRONTO!
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I wound up using Outlook for my business calendar as Chapura's PocketMirror was the only thing that actually got all my calendar items and contacts (including snail mail address and notes) onto my Pre. To use Google calendar, I'll have to try to figure out again how to reliably get my data to Google since Palm's DTA doesn't cut it for me.

So many work arounds...it might be better to return the Pre and wait a 6 months before trying again.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I gave my buddy (a Treo user) my Pre and asked him to input his daughters b-day in my calendar. He almost threw across the room when he was trying to finish the task.

The Pre calendar is the slowest and most cumbersome electronic calendar system I've ever used. For instance, I can finger slip between days and weeks simply (albeit slowly), but I can't flip between months. WTF? To go between months I have to tap the tiny pull-down menu at the top-left (because my thumb so naturally reaches up there--this should be changed to the bottom-right globally changed on all Pre apps) and then I have to finger-flip through a little menu that reminds me of a Vegas slot-machine dial thingy.

Basically I have no idea what's on my schedule anymore because I hate opening the calendar. I'm looking forward to the dashboard calendar integration so I will once again have a clue. Or perhaps a third-party will pick up the ball way back there... where Palm dropped it down a hole.
    To go between months you flick the month up/down, it doesn't go left to right like for days and weeks. You can see the days for the next month are grayed before and after.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    To go between months you flick the month up/down, it doesn't go left to right like for days and weeks. You can see the days for the next month are grayed before and after.
    Sweet Jesus!
    I agree with a lot of the thought in this thread. I have been a constant Palm OS user since far before ditching my Treo 680 for the Pre. In fact, I've been hooked since my 3com Palm III circa 1998. All the while, the incredibly extensive and adaptable Palm OS was completely built around a core of extremely polished and well designed PIM (personal information management) apps. If it weren't for the solid foundation of calendar, contacts, tasks and memos, the platform certainly wouldn't have become so popular and the developer community wouldn't have been as successful.

I have extremely mixed feelings about giving up the vast functionality of my Treo for the Pre. In the end, I decided to place my bet on the future of WebOS. I realize that we are experiencing an OS in its infancy, but I am hoping for so many different updates and fixes that I don't even know what is realistic to expect from Palm.

As to the topic of this thread, I personally returned my iPhone 3G, after waiting in line for 5 hours on launch day, because of its extremely weak calendar. (I returned the 1st gen a year earlier b/c of a lack of 3rd party apps, and went back to the Treo.) Everything else aside, calendaring is very important to me. I don't have a million meetings, but I have several a week and lots of new appointments to enter on the go. I could have a new meeting with reminder, location, and category into my Treo 15 seconds after my boss mentioned it to me. I need that kind of functionality back!

If Palm doesn't make major revisions to the calendar, I hope they will get that SDK out as fast as they can. I am confident we are not the only users that feel this way and good 3rd party apps would fill this demand quite quickly.
    This thread details exactly why I have not given up my 755p for the Pre. I waited anxiously for it's release foolishly assuming that it was a guven that the PIM functionality would certaintly be at the level of my 755p. Boy was I mistaken. Well I'll have to wait a little longer until updates or 3rd party apps fixes things. Am I once again making assumption?
    i was looking into hacking an agenda view into the calendar, but need to get a couple apps under my belt to become more comfortable with javascript and the database before attempting the calendar. it may help a little. if anyone has any other simple hack ideas that would improve the calendar without forcing me to rewrite it, feel free to throw out your ideas.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have 2 work schedules and a personal calendar. I thought naively that the Pre's ability to display multiple calendars would be fantastic. The problem, as has been stated throughout this thread is that the calendar is one of the greatest Pre weaknesses. Coming from a Treo 755p and having been with Palm for 10 years, this is a tremendous disappointment. However I bit the bullet and kept it after my 30 days, waiting for a 3rd party app that would would replace DB. I hope somebody out there is listening.
    I tend to agree with most of what people are saying here - I've personally found the Pre to be a bit sluggish as well, and I really dont have the archive of years worth of data like some others. I do synch a bunch of gmail calendars, but that shouldnt matter since they arent flooded with events. I find myself not checking my calendar as much because of this. Not a deal breaker (for me) but certainly a bit frustrating. Now, if I still used my calendar for work (like I did on my last phone) I would be downright livid.
  19.    #19  
    I can understand those who want to stay with their Treos, but I now need a good browser just as I need a good calendar so it's a trade-off.

I think the Pre calendar is as cumbersome as the iPhone one, so much for being a PDA company. In particular the "physics engine" enabled roller for selecting the time. What an idiotic behavior for something that needs to be accurate.

Now I need to play a little with a BlackBerry to compare.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I too have trouble with the calendar. So for the time being, I keep my Treo 650 with me. I enter all my calendar events and appointments on it. Then I Hotsync to Outlook. And finally, I use PocketMirror to sync to the Pre.

It works, but I'm hoping its just a temporary thing, I can't believe Palm won't fix the calendar.

In my case, I want to be able to select a contact to have a meeting/appointment with.

You can't do that with Google Calendar or even Outlook as it turns out. Palm was doing a copy and paste of the info in the event line. Good enough for me!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast