Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Honestly, the biggest mistake I could imagine.

I have tested and written for Palm for years. They have been sagging for a while, but have a loyal following.

There would be only 1 MAJOR stupid move they could make in their move to the new OS ... forgetting to provide backward compatibility for those loyalists ... low and behold, they made this very mistake.

Having a 3rd party make this emulator for them is almost unforgivable ... and allowing them to charge $30 ... is an absolute abomination!!!!!

So they launch with < 20 apps ... and provide no support for old apps. Who is the CEO? Is he familiar with technology?

I simply won't pay for what should be part of a well thought out system.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    The problem is that the "new" Palm is not the same as the old one. Instead of simply saying "The Pre is a whole new device," they confused things by saying that you could run old Palm apps on it.

This is good, from the standpoint that the Pre started life with thousands and thousands of apps. More than iPhone. Of course, not all work. And those that do work don't work well.

They should have just dropped the idea of backwards compatibility. Instead, they should have found more developers to have day-1 applications for the new OS.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I agree 100%.

The best-case scenario is that they hit the ground running with many new applications ... they did not do this.

The next best thing would be to have a free emulator for those of us who have many $$$ worth of Palm apps.

Their attitude was "We are something completely new" ... losing the support of long-term Palm loyalists, then not preparing enough apps to please the Iphone like crowd.

I will watch ... they need to show the ability to make enough FREE software, to make people want to buy the pre ...
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    The problem is that the "new" Palm is not the same as the old one. Instead of simply saying "The Pre is a whole new device," they confused things by saying that you could run old Palm apps on it.

This is good, from the standpoint that the Pre started life with thousands and thousands of apps. More than iPhone. Of course, not all work. And those that do work don't work well.

They should have just dropped the idea of backwards compatibility. Instead, they should have found more developers to have day-1 applications for the new OS.
    Remember, the Pre is Palm's "bet the company" last-ditch run at survival; if things continue on as they are, this may be very successful for them.

Divorcing themselves from the "old" Palm was something they felt they had to do to make it. Their Treos, running an aging, rapidly going out-of-date OS, were absolutely no match for the iPhone effect, or competition against any other platform. Palm was bleeding millions of dollars a month; do you think that they'd spend resources on somehow making what they considered "old baggage" compatible with their slick, shiny new product? Uh-uh. They did what was a financially smart thing: let a third party developer, who could foresee realizing a profit off of that old loyal Palm base, do the compatibility enabling. Palm is therefore free of financial and technical responsibility, and the stalwart Palmists will, in theory, be eventually weened away from the old to the new. This is assuming, as I have seen stated numerous times, that developers will, of course, come up with substitutes for all those beloved PalmOS-based apps.

Well, we'll see. I'm not in any hurry to jump on this band wagon until I see some really firm footing waiting for me.
    Regards,
    Bob (RGS)
    In a way I agree with the OP that it is kind of annoying that if you want to use all your palmOS apps on webOS you have to buy classic but at the same time I don't agree with palm being the one to develop, maintain, and fix bugs etc of classic. That would mean needing twice the man power to deal with both OSes. Something they proved they can't handle when they moved into the smartphone market support for palmOS was lousy and many of their devices went untouched. I had to leave my T5 behind due to lack of support in fixing problems. Plus by offering any way of using palmOS apps on webOS is simply there to help transition those still using the old OS. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few months all the big name palmOS devs and their apps are moved to webOS and remove the need for classic. It then becomes a thing of use the old ones in classic or the new webOS versions.

I was pleased to hear they were making the pre and webOS and that you would be able to use the palmOS apps on it. I was also ok with the idea of paying extra for it because I knew as a result of a 3rd party handling the palmOS portion of it that it would get the proper attention needed to deal with working on what needed to be worked on letting palm focus on what they needed to, webOS and the devices it will run on.

I plan on buying classic, I have had gotten two weeks trial which gave me sufficient time to install and slightly test all of the apps I used and owned on my previous palmOS devices. I'm however holding out for a little while to try and get a deal on it. If I had many more apps that I used I think I would not think twice about paying $30 for it and I think everyone who has payed for it probably feel the same. I however do understand the position of the OP and I am sure there are others who feel similar. In the long run I may very well end up paying cross-platform fees on those palmOS apps I bought to use the webOS versions of them. In that case I probably won't need classic any more. Which is another reason why I am holding out for a deal on it maybe even a promo like buy X thing and get classic free.
    News flash for you. Palm does not own the Palm OS. Access does. Thats why palm needed a new OS. Thats also why they did not give away an emulator. If $30 is too rich for you perhaps cutting edge technology products is not your thing. mClassic was probably the best $30 I ever spent.

Would you believe that I paid $399 for a Pilot 5000 13 years ago.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Ah yes I didn't even think about licensing fees which I'm guessing there are. And a good point also for why they made webOS. Splitting off into palm and what now is known as access was a bad decision palm made and probably the biggest factor in their decent to near death as a company. Since they made the lifedrive I had been wondering when we would see their new OS I had given up hope a year ago and gotten a blackberry to meet my needs and wants. Then to my surprise they announce the pre and webOS. But anyways I am rambling.
    shocking to read the *****ing about $30. It a free market economy-if you don't like it or don't want to pay then don't. Simple as that.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48 View Post
    shocking to read the *****ing about $30. It a free market economy-if you don't like it or don't want to pay then don't. Simple as that.
    Wrong way to look at it.

People are expressing an opinion about what they think the product is worth, to them.

This is valuable feedback for MotionApps, who needs to know why people aren't buying. Or ways to further improve their sales.

Big companies spend a ton of money on "price research." A smaller company like MotionApps can't spend like Coke, say. But they can benefit from hearing people say "great idea, but only if were a little cheaper, I'd buy it" or "not worth $30."