1.    #1  
    Sprint Nav has an awesome feature called Gas by Price which will - you guessed it - search for nearby gas stations and list the current prices. I live in a fairly rural area and I am used to these services only being useful on trips through urban/suburban areas, but I was shocked that it not only had listings, but my drive home confirmed they are dead-on accurate.

Does anybody have any idea where they get this data. I ask because if it is user generated I would be happy to contribute. I also wonder because the Where app is really terrible at this; it doesn't even list a single gas station out of the dozen or so in the area (I don't mean it doesn't list prices, I mean it doesn't list the stations as existing).

Anyway... A big to Sprint Nav's search feature, esp. gas by price.
    I have a ton of Gas stations in my Area and I use the Sprint Nav all the time to see if prices have dropped at one or went up at another to decide if and where I getting my Gas. it is a very nice feature and the Instinct had it as well . It's correct for the most part .

I think it's a service the Stations subscribe to sorta like the Movie app as well.
  3.    #3  
    I appreciate the feedback, but this seems unlikely to me because I really doubt some of these stations would do that. Some of the gas stations around me are so tech-phobic that they don't even have credit card readers on the pump...you have to go inside and ask them to turn it on then back outside to pay. It just doesn't seem likely that they would subscribe to this type of service, but their prices are in Sprint Nav. Maybe the gas tanker/supplier does this for them? Pure speculation on my part...and -again- I only ask because I would be happy to contribute if there was a way.
    I have no idea if this is the actual source but have a look at the source for MSN gas prices. I'd bet its the same or at least a similar service.

Gas Prices Information - MSN Autos

These prices are provided by OPIS....Retail prices are derived from actual credit card transactions collected from Fleet Vehicles
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyTerry View Post
    Gas Prices Information - MSN Autos

These prices are provided by OPIS....Retail prices are derived from actual credit card transactions collected from Fleet Vehicles
    That makes a ton of sense as a method to get price. Interesting.
    Where is this feature? I looked everywhere in the app can can't find it. We are talking about the Palm Pre right?

PS. Has anyone been successful in sending an address through SMS via Sprint Nav? I have sent multiple and they haven't been received.
    If you type Gas By Price into search it will bring up the stations near you with the Price in Blue under the name

If you hit the map it will map them for you as well.

Also I have done the Share several time with no problem at all.
    If you click search and click on category you will then have the choice for gas by price. It is very accurate. COOOL!!!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    It would be great if there was an app that allowed us to contribute to updating gas prices.

While I'm pumping my 20 gallons, why not take 15 seconds to update that station's pricing? It should be able to find me with GPS and allow me to enter the price at nearby gas stations.

I wonder if GasBuddy.com has written an app yet....

Edit: Supposedly GasBuddy is providing the info for the WHERE app
    http://www.where.com/jin/addbytagform.jin?tag=gasbuddy
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by majikTib View Post
    It would be great if there was an app that allowed us to contribute to updating gas prices.

While I'm pumping my 20 gallons, why not take 15 seconds to update that station's pricing? It should be able to find me with GPS and allow me to enter the price at nearby gas stations.

I wonder if GasBuddy.com has written an app yet....

It's really not a good idea to have cell phone in hand while pumping gas.

I update my prices just before pulling out.

GasBuddy does have a mobile webpage for reporting prices, but it would be nice to have a WebOS app.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Wow. I use Sprint Nav all the time on my Instinct but had never noticed this feature. That's awesome. Luckily I know the stations that usually have the best deals. But never hurts to double check, especially when prices spike. Good find.