Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just read the below on a website, not sure how it will affect pre-users though.

"Yesterday, Pandora founder Tim Westergren announced that the music service was on safe ground once again, but will no longer be free for all users. Instead, it will be really cheap for those with a free account, there will be a cap of 40 hours per month, and a user may pay a one-time fee of $0.99 to resume unlimited listening to music for a month. According to the blog entry, this will affect the top 10% of listeners. Certainly not a bad deal considering the price, and I suspect that Pandora is one of few free internet resources whose users are loyal enough to pay a small fee to keep it afloat. Pandora's future had been uncertain ever since the royalty rates for internet radio were increased in 2007."

And here's an aricle.Poll: Would You Pay 99 Cents per Month for Unlimited Pandora? | Epicenter | Wired.com
    I'd say it will affect Pre users the same as it will affect everyone else. If you use Pandora less than 40 hours a month, it's free. If you use it more than that, it will cost you a buck. That's it, regardless of device.

Personally, I only tend to use Pandora when I'm at the gym, which is like 3 hours a week. I won't even come close to that 40 hour cap.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I use Pandora about 1-2 hours a month, that's about it. Usually I listen to podcasts whenever I have time to 'listen'.
    I'd be more than willing to pay though, even with how little I use it, just to support the service.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    I'd say it will affect Pre users the same as it will affect everyone else. If you use Pandora less than 40 hours a month, it's free. If you use it more than that, it will cost you a buck. That's it, regardless of device.

Personally, I only tend to use Pandora when I'm at the gym, which is like 3 hours a week. I won't even come close to that 40 hour cap.
    Yeah, I think I'm reserving a little wishful thinking that since the Pre came loaded with a Pandora app that maybe it's free for us?? I know, highly unlikely. I only use it a few hours a week as well, but many others connect it to home/car/work aux ports and stream much more. The cost is minimal, so I wouldn't mind paying it if I was doing those things.
    This shouldn't be a big deal, like someone else said just create a new account so you wont run over that limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidusmccoy1515 View Post
    just create a new account so you wont run over that limit.
    I'd like to think most people would be willing to contribute at least SOMETHING to make sure a service they enjoy using can sustain itself. Is a dollar really that precious to you that you need to look for ways around it?
    I would definitely have no problems paying a buck if I went over 40 hours during a month. I will never do so, however, since I don't listen to it THAT much. I only use it at the gym and also ocassionally when I'm goofing at my computer at home. Don't stream it in my car or work.
    I'm fine with the $1 / month. I run Pandora with the Pre on a Touchstone, at work all day. Probably works out to about 4 hours a day or more. I wish it had more new things I haven't heard, but works for me.

Not sure I get much more for the $3 / month Pandora One. Most of that is desktop specific things and I can't steam on a work PC.
  9.    #9  
    I'd like to think most people would be willing to contribute at least SOMETHING to make sure a service they enjoy using can sustain itself. Is a dollar really that precious to you that you need to look for ways around it?
    I would have to agree with you.
    I think the price is more than reasonable for the service, i think it's just the annoyance of setting the payment that the problem is. This and a carputer hooked up with sprint would kick ***.
    Here is a dissenting opinion about how good a deal Pandora made.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by aznicktwit View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm reserving a little wishful thinking that since the Pre came loaded with a Pandora app that maybe it's free for us?? I know, highly unlikely. I only use it a few hours a week as well, but many others connect it to home/car/work aux ports and stream much more. The cost is minimal, so I wouldn't mind paying it if I was doing those things.
    If I were Palm, I would approach Pandora and work out a deal where WebOS devices could be the only devices that didn't have to pay the fee.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackaxis View Post
    If I were Palm, I would approach Pandora and work out a deal where WebOS devices could be the only devices that didn't have to pay the fee.
    Well considering Palm includes it by default on the Pre, I would think the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznicktwit View Post
    Well considering Palm includes it by default on the Pre, I would think the same thing.
    I had to install Pandora. It may be a launch app, but it is not a 'default' app.

$1/month is dirt cheap. Don't expect something good for nothing.
    Last edited by Guish; 07/10/2009 at 11:16 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guish View Post
    I had to install Pandora. It may be a launch app, but it is not a 'default' app.
    Yeah, guess I forgot I installed mine too...but yeah, it was a launch app.
    The FAQs at Pandora indicate that the 40 hour limit 'message' will show on the web app/desktop, but I didn't see anything that mentioned the mobile apps. I'm curious about how that might work... I guess it would just stop the music and you might have to go to the website to figure it out.

$12 a year for all that music is a steal, though.
    I think it applies to the web app too since you log in.

Just check the counter they have now and it should be easy to figure out.

I def. Use it more than 40 per week since I stream most of the day at work, then about half the time during my commute.

What I don't like is you can't just give them a card to charge- you must wait until you hit 40 hrs. Annoying.

I guess they don't want to cannibalize their ONE subscriptions.

I'm more than happy to pay a buck a month and I'd pay more.
    This is a letter from the founder of Pandora that I got. Everything seems very fair to me. I am not sure if everyone got this or if just people who use Pandora more than 40hrs, as it seems to imply that I am one of them.

I am honestly considering purchasing Pandora One, $36/year is a far better deal than any other music service and it allows 192Kbps streaming.

Hi, it’s Tim -

I hope this email finds you enjoying a great summer Pandora soundtrack.

I’m writing with some important news. Please forgive the lengthy email; it requires some explaining.

First, I want to let you know that we’ve reached a resolution to the calamitous Internet radio royalty ruling of 2007. After more than two precarious years, we are finally on safe ground with a long-term agreement for survivable royalty rates – thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our listeners who voiced an absolute avalanche of support for us on Capitol Hill. We are deeply thankful.

While we did the best we could to lower the rates, we are going to have to make an adjustment that will affect about 10% of our users who are our heaviest listeners. Specifically, we are going to begin limiting listening to 40 hours per month on the web. Because we have to pay royalty fees per song and per listener, it makes very heavy listeners hard to support on advertising alone. Most listeners will never hit this cap, but it seems that you might.

We hate the idea of capping anyone's usage, so we've been working to devise an alternative for listeners like you. We've come up with two solutions and we hope that one of them will work for you:

Your first option is to continue listening just as you have been and, if and when you reach the 40 hour limit in a given month, to pay just $0.99 for unlimited listening for the rest of that month. This isn't a subscription. You can pay by credit card and your card will be charged for just that one month. You'll be able to keep listening as much as you'd like for the remainder of the month. We hope this is relatively painless and affordable - the same price as a single song download.

Your second option is to upgrade to our premium version called Pandora One. Pandora One costs $36 per year. In addition to unlimited monthly listening and no advertising, Pandora One offers very high quality 192 Kbps streams, an elegant desktop application that eliminates the need for a browser, personalized skins for the Pandora player, and a number of other features: Pandora One.

If neither of these options works for you, I hope you'll keep listening to the free version - 40 hours each month will go a long way, especially if you're really careful about hitting pause when you’re not listening. We’ll be sure to let you know if you start getting close to the limit, and we’ve created a counter you can access to see how many hours you’ve already used each month.

We’ll be implementing this change starting this month (July), I’d welcome your feedback and suggestions. The combination of our usage patterns and the "per song per listener" royalty cost creates a financial reality that we can't ignore...but we very much want you to continue listening for years to come.

Please don't hesitate to email me back with your thoughts.

Sincerely,
    tim_signature.jpg

Tim
    Founder
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    A $1.00 a month seems more than fair. If you look a Sirius/XM it is $2.99 for their stream on the iPhone, this is in addition to the required monthly fee of $12.99 for the first receiver. Pandora One is a great deal from that view. So a buck a month seems cool. I just hope many people just start new accounts to bypass this if they listen more than 40 hours, then it will ruin this for the majority.

+1

Tops 5hrs a week! But even I did go over...what's a buck?!
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast