Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    Just to make sure i understand, is x also the number displayed? If i hit 5 enter 4 enter 3 enter 2 enter, i get b:5 a:4 z:3 y:2 x:2. So after i hit enter for the 2, it put it in y and kept 2 in x. If i hit another key, it overwrites what is in x and on the display. Would it make sense to clear out the value in x after hitting enter? And it x is also the display, do you want to show it at the top?
    The stack behaviour is as I would expect. I did wonder about the need for X in the stack line.
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    This is a great app. In fact I wouldn't have bought the Pre if it didn't exist. The built in unit converter is a great addition as well. I would like to see inHg and inH2O as units for pressure conversion.
    Wow that's the best compliment I've had in a long time! Thanks

About inHg -> inH20: Can you tell me the conversion factor?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  3.    #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    The stack manipulator works great. I also like the display of the values across the top of the display.

Just to make sure i understand, is x also the number displayed? If i hit 5 enter 4 enter 3 enter 2 enter, i get b:5 a:4 z:3 y:2 x:2. So after i hit enter for the 2, it put it in y and kept 2 in x. If i hit another key, it overwrites what is in x and on the display. Would it make sense to clear out the value in x after hitting enter? And it x is also the display, do you want to show it at the top?
    Not sure. The x -> overwrite x behavior is what I've seen in other calculators which is why I did it that way. I have to think about this.

Also, i would order the numbers across the top in the other direction, build the stack from right to left. It seems counter intuitive to say, but i think you should build away from the number in the display.
    It's trivial to change this around. Does everyone agree this would be better?

One more thing, how do you delete values from the stack one at a time? On my 48g, if you hit the back arrow when the display is empty, it deletes the next row in the stack until the stack is empty.
    This behavior is planned. I had some troubles with it and left it on the backburner. It's coming though. I'll figure it out!

And FYI, i made a post a while back that i didn't like the haptic feedback...what do i know, i like it a lot now. So take my feedback with a grain of salt.
    Because of that feedback I made it configurable so I guess now everyone can be happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    No preference.
    Last edited by johncc; 08/14/2009 at 09:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Yes the stack should grow away from the number in the active row.
    If the number is on the right, the stack should grow to the left.

ian
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    About inHg -> inH20: Can you tell me the conversion factor?
    I don't know what your using for a base unit but 1 inch mercury @ 32 degrees f (inHg) = 33.86388158 millibars and 1 inch water inH2O @ 60 degrees f = 2.4884 millibars.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I don't care which way the stack is displayed but I think the x register is redundant and a little confusing. On the calculators I've used the x is the value on the display not an additional register in the stack. The manual for my HP 32S II says "the most recent number is in the X-register: this is the number you see in the display" and "the X-register is what you see except when a menu, a message, or a program line is being displayed".

While I'm picking nits, I'd much rather have to shift for the UNDO key than for the x<>y key.
  8.    #148  
    Ok thanks guys. Makes sense. I'll get rid of the x in the stack display and also switch the direction. Removing the x also makes me need less truncating on the valued which is useful too.
    ok - this was working as suspected until last two updates. I double checked the behaviour on an online RPN and it also worked as expected.

EX: I enter "7.99, Enter, 8.25, Enter, %" get result then press "+" and it adds result to 7.99. The current build does not do this - it doesnt add anything.
    Can I even add fractions I'm new to this type of cal.

Like 4 1/2 + 6 3/8 ?
  11.    #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsondm2 View Post
    ok - this was working as suspected until last two updates. I double checked the behaviour on an online RPN and it also worked as expected.

EX: I enter "7.99, Enter, 8.25, Enter, %" get result then press "+" and it adds result to 7.99. The current build does not do this - it doesnt add anything.
    Ok just to make sure I got this right: You mean the % key should lift the stack? At the moment it indeed doesn't. Funny because I don't remember changing anything with this...
  12.    #152  
    Just looked at some other calculators and it should indeed lift the stack.
    I have uploaded B14.

Improvements:

- stack display now only shows y,z,a,b
    - stack display order reversed. now from right to left
    - % and delta % now lift the stack
  13.    #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post

Like 4 1/2 + 6 3/8 ?
    How would you do that on the normal built-in calculator?
  14.    #154  
    IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I have changed the license terms for this application. It's now Open Source but governed by a protective license. See the opening post for more details.

As for the future of this app: Once it hits the app store there are 2 choices:

- get the sourcecode, build the app with palm-package and install it yourself
    - pay a small fee (TBA) and get it from the app store

This will allow people to choose for themselves whether they want to support me in developing this app or just use it for free. Either way is fine with me. The app store route is just more convenient (and a bit nicer for me!)

Also: The sourcecode is now freely available from GitHub. The link to the repository is posted in the opening post.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post

Like 4 1/2 + 6 3/8 ?
    To do this on an RPN calculator, you would hit: 4 ENTER 1 ENTER 2 / + 6 ENTER 3 ENTER 8 / + +

I think fractions are much easier on an RPN calculator. This is the power of the stack.
    IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I have changed the license terms for this application. It's now Open Source but governed by a protective license. See the opening post for more details.

As for the future of this app: Once it hits the app store there are 2 choices:

- get the sourcecode, build the app with palm-package and install it yourself
    - pay a small fee (TBA) and get it from the app store

This will allow people to choose for themselves whether they want to support me in developing this app or just use it for free. Either way is fine with me. The app store route is just more convenient (and a bit nicer for me!)

Also: The sourcecode is now freely available from GitHub. The link to the repository is posted in the opening post.
    New update works great. I like how the stack builds to the left now.
    Just looked at some other calculators and it should indeed lift the stack.
    I have uploaded B14.

Improvements:

- stack display now only shows y,z,a,b
    - stack display order reversed. now from right to left
    - % and delta % now lift the stack

ty so much! you have made my day!
    ok it adds the numbers now but gives the wrong answer?

7.99 Ent
    8.25 Ent
    %
    0.680625 (should be 0.659175)
    +
    8.930625 (should be 8.649175)

Whats wrong? I've checked these figures on two other calculators.

Thanks in advance for your help
  19.    #159  
    Bug. Fixed in B15 I just uploaded.
    I really wish there was a standard mode and the app could be toggled from RPN or normal. Just used to non RPN I guess ii

I also just love options and hope more conversions can be added as well.

Thanks for making this app BTW!!!
    Last edited by Paladin; 08/14/2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast