Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This is intriguing. Can you expand on this. An example maybe?
    The last calc I did was calc the diameter of a roll based on its repeat. I work in the printing industry. That calc would be repeat / gear pitch, I would keep that data in the stack as I use circumference in other calcs. So I hit enter again, so I have the circum in the stack twice. Then I divide on of them by pi. That leaves me with 2 rows in the stack, circum and dia.

That may not be the best example, but its the last one I used.
  2.    #122  
    Hit g-UNDO and you'll see the stack inspector. You can push this sequence at any time to see the values that are currently in the stack.

While I realize it would be easier to have them in view at all times, screen estate is limited which is why I thought this would be some sort of best of both worlds.

I've been thinking of adding drag & drop stack manipulation in this inspector. Do you guys think this is useful or is it ok like this?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Hit g-UNDO and you'll see the stack inspector. You can push this sequence at any time to see the values that are currently in the stack.

While I realize it would be easier to have them in view at all times, screen estate is limited which is why I thought this would be some sort of best of both worlds.

I've been thinking of adding drag & drop stack manipulation in this inspector. Do you guys think this is useful or is it ok like this?
    sorry. I figured it out and edited my last response. Thanks for the quick reply, though. In the edit, I asked if stack manipulation is possible. That would be excellent. Maybe I will be able to retire the HP afterall.

Thanks for the great app.
  4.    #124  
    I have most of the DragNDrop stack manipulation done. New release late tonight or otherwise tomorrow!
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    This is fantastic.

Any possibility of you creating a financial calculator mode in the future?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    TheMacro, i really, really like the vibrating keys of version 1.05...
    when will you be able to D/L those version from fileCoaster?
    i noticed on fileCoaster, it is still the non-buzzing version.
  7.    #127  
    Ummm you sure? V11b is on there and definitely has it. Note that if you have the nl.i-marco.app one you have to delete that! Newer versions have com.palm.app.scientificcalculator as their I'd because otherwise there would be no vibrate api access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    This is fantastic.

Any possibility of you creating a financial calculator mode in the future?
    Previously answered ...
    Davide-NYC yes, I'm seriously thinking about doing a pure financial calculator using the same core I have in this one. I want to finish this one 100% first though
    Just again noticed something I'd been meaning to bring up.

The no-argument functions (pi, e, phi, 42) appear to be replacing the contents of the x-register. This isn't how they should work.

Functions like this should lift the stack, and only then write their results to x.

Example: to calculate 2*pi, I should be able to hit these keys:

"2", "pi", "*"

This is the way every HP calculator I've ever used worked.
    The one big thing I wonder about is: Would a calculator like that (and this one) need the programmability features? I'm asking because that's really hard to implement and I'm wondering how many people would actually have a need for it.

Feedback is welcome!
    If you wanted a challenge, I think that it would be very useful. The way that I have used that feature in the past is to automate a calculation of several steps that must be repeated a number of times. I imagine that many people would have such calculations that are repeated everyday. In that case a program would become like a user definable function.

Even a relatively simple thing such as area of a circle from diameter, ie [ENTER][2][/][x^2][Pi][X], might be handy for somebody to have as a single keystroke.

Given that the program would be manually entered, there would not be much point in allowing for a massive number of steps.
    Last edited by johncc; 08/12/2009 at 09:00 PM.
  11.    #131  
    dwhitman thanks again for your useful feedback. I'll fix the pi,e,42 etc. issue in the next release!

As for programming... Need to think about this some more...
  12.    #132  
    Beta 12 posted.

- dwhitman's bug fixed.
    - Drag & Drop reordering of the stack (see screenshot)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I confirm that all 4 no-argument functions are working correctly now.
    TheMarco, I suppose that you did consider making [x<>y] unshifted? It's one that I make quite a bit of use of.
  15.    #135  
    johncc I did but I can't decide which current primary button would need to be sacrificed for that...
    Any chance you could make the output display font larger (say, by 50% or more)? Not sure how that would look, given it wouldn't be vertically centered any more, but it would sure help readability.

Thanks,
    Tom
  17.    #137  
    B13 uploaded. New feature is realtime stack info above the main display output (values with many digits are truncated but it will give you enough info to know what's going on. For full stack inspection there's the stack inspector which was added earlier.)

This space is ALSO used to show what the conversion was when the CONV button has been used. it will read 'Converted from Meter (m) to Foot (ft)' for example right after hitting CONV.

The realtime stack information can be enabled or disabled in preferences.

I hope this is a nice compromise for people who asked for full stack display.

Screenshot of the stack display in action attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18.    #138  
    Ok uploaded for real now. Forgot to hit save
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    This is a great app. In fact I wouldn't have bought the Pre if it didn't exist. The built in unit converter is a great addition as well. I would like to see inHg and inH2O as units for pressure conversion.
    Ok uploaded for real now. Forgot to hit save
    The stack manipulator works great. I also like the display of the values across the top of the display.

Just to make sure i understand, is x also the number displayed? If i hit 5 enter 4 enter 3 enter 2 enter, i get b:5 a:4 z:3 y:2 x:2. So after i hit enter for the 2, it put it in y and kept 2 in x. If i hit another key, it overwrites what is in x and on the display. Would it make sense to clear out the value in x after hitting enter? And it x is also the display, do you want to show it at the top?

Also, i would order the numbers across the top in the other direction, build the stack from right to left. It seems counter intuitive to say, but i think you should build away from the number in the display.

One more thing, how do you delete values from the stack one at a time? On my 48g, if you hit the back arrow when the display is empty, it deletes the next row in the stack until the stack is empty.

And FYI, i made a post a while back that i didn't like the haptic feedback...what do i know, i like it a lot now. So take my feedback with a grain of salt.
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast