Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    I'd also like to be able to enter .534 instead of 0.534, for example.
    By any chance, are you interested in making a similar calc that emulates the HP-12C???
    :-)
  2.    #62  
    rogerkang that makes sense. I'll try to make it so that .534 will be accepted as well.

As for the 12C-style stuff: possibly, at some point. It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure how many people would want this feature.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Please, please, PLEASE make the 12C!!! It would look great in the landscape view! hehe.
    The HP-12C emulator was pretty popular for the Palm OS (there were a couple of different programs out there). I'll be the first to give you a donation for your work!
  4.    #64  
    New beta3 version posted. New:

- Implemented STO and RCL (there are 10 memory registers, 0..9) In the future I'll make these persistent like on a HP calculator, meaning they'll be preserved even when you close the app or shut down the phone.
    - New x <- -> y function
    - brought back the 'answer to the question about life, the universe and everything'-constant

Next up will be the statistics stuff and the different notations.

After that: There's still room for tons of operations under f and g. I'm open to your suggestions!
    STO and RCL seem to be working correctly.

Function candidates: the ->HEX and ->BIN keys suggest that some Boolean operations would be nice: OR, AND, XOR, NOT

A full fledged conversion utility would be overkill IMHO, but since the conversion is two steps rather than just "multiply by a constant", temperature conversion -->F and -->C would be convenient.

A couple random ideas for the hopper:

1. allow using the hardware keyboard for number entry and simple ops?
    2. Implement copy/paste from the x register?
  6.    #66  
    Uploaded beta 4! This time it's time to separate the men from the boys when it comes to calculator apps! I've implemented HP15C style statistical data gathering and analysis, at least, the start of it.

How it works is kind of a long story to type here so I'm gonna refer to this:

http://hp15c.org/hp15c.pdf

In section 4 of this manual is described how to gather statistical data. I have implemented this exactly like the HP15C does it. After gathering the data you can get:

- n
    - Sigma x
    - Sigma x^2
    - Sigma y
    - Sigma y^2
    - Sigma xy

These values can be accessed by pressing RCL 2, RCL 3, RCL 4, RCL 5, RCL 6 and RCL 7 like on the HP.

It's late here but I THINK I got this nailed now. The test cases from the HP 15C manual work flawlessly on my calculator.

I'm planning on implementing as much as I can (hopefully everything) from section 4 of the HP manual.

I hope you guys like it!
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    STO and RCL seem to be working correctly.

Function candidates: the ->HEX and ->BIN keys suggest that some Boolean operations would be nice: OR, AND, XOR, NOT
    Not sure if I can do this without implementing true HEX and BIN modes. Right now the ->HEX and ->BIN merely displays what the value would be like in HEX and BIN. You can't do operations with them because internally all there is is the decimal values.

A full fledged conversion utility would be overkill IMHO, but since the conversion is two steps rather than just "multiply by a constant", temperature conversion -->F and -->C would be convenient.
    I'm actually thinking of having a CONV function which will pull up a dialog asking for:

- units the x value is in
    - requested units to convert to

with a truckload of conversion types. This seems easy to implement and would make a pretty awesome addon. (and make separate conversion apps redundant).

Does this sound good?

A couple random ideas for the hopper:

1. allow using the hardware keyboard for number entry and simple ops?
    2. Implement copy/paste from the x register?
    Not sure about the hardware keyboard. Does it really have a lot of value?
    I do like the copy/paste idea a lot! Will look into it.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Nice continued development here. The changes are solid

Regarding future development, the 15C is a great calculator, and if you emulate many of its functions, you'll have a great piece of software.

The 12C some folks have mentioned is a big market even today for HP. Long after these "landscape" calculators have ceased production, the 12C is still in production and prized by a lot of business people. If you make a landscape version of your software, and emulate the 12C, any business person who uses a 12C will come knocking for your software. That calculator is extremely popular.

One question for you: there seems to be a long delay from touching the screen to when an operation is executed; I would prefer something faster like the regular calculator currently on the Pre. Is the delay something you've programmed in place and can change, or is it due to the program's complexity?

Final comment: the 15C is good, but you may want to consider the recent HP-35S. It's a design HP recently release to get back to its roots, like the HP-41, and has a ton of good functions (more than the 15C, I believe). I use it daily in my work and it's quite competent. I still like my 28S and 41CV the most, however.

The 35S's specs are online at http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmi..._datasheet.pdf
  9.    #69  
    The idea of a 12C is definitely starting to get interesting. Especially because it's a lot less of a complicated calculator compared to the scientific ones.

The one big thing I wonder about is: Would a calculator like that (and this one) need the programmability features? I'm asking because that's really hard to implement and I'm wondering how many people would actually have a need for it.

Feedback is welcome!
  10.    #70  
    Also, jp99 how long a delay are you experiencing? There really isn't much delay for me here on my Pre. Not more than say 2/10th of a second or so.

If that is what you're talking about I suppose it's because of program complexity. Thing is, the display needs to get rendered by generating a bunch of spans with certain CSS classses to show the digits. Maybe this is causing a (very mild) delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Not sure if I can do this without implementing true HEX and BIN modes. Right now the ->HEX and ->BIN merely displays what the value would be like in HEX and BIN. You can't do operations with them because internally all there is is the decimal values.

I'm actually thinking of having a CONV function which will pull up a dialog asking for:

- units the x value is in
    - requested units to convert to

with a truckload of conversion types. This seems easy to implement and would make a pretty awesome addon. (and make separate conversion apps redundant).

Does this sound good?

Not sure about the hardware keyboard. Does it really have a lot of value?
    I do like the copy/paste idea a lot! Will look into it.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    A full CONV facility would be very nice, as long as it didn't take too many steps to get to a given conversion. There have been requests upthread.

I would definitely use the hardware keyboard if available. The tactile feedback just lets me go much faster. (The hardware keyboard was the feature that was probably the biggest factor in keeping me from jumping ship to an iPhone once my 755p started to get old). The old RPN calculator on PalmOS used the hardware keys in parallel with the onscreen ones, and I invariably used the hard keys.

I suggested the boolean functions mostly to play off the existing conversion keys, but personally wouldn't use them much.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    The one big thing I wonder about is: Would a calculator like that (and this one) need the programmability features? I'm asking because that's really hard to implement and I'm wondering how many people would actually have a need for it.

Feedback is welcome!
    IMHO, adding programmability would be a lot of work for not much incremental value, and I'd encourage you to focus on other features. And I say this as someone who once wrote a general nonlinear regression package on a HP-41C to deconvolute unresolved NMR spectra for my thesis.

But I would never do that these days. I'd do it in Excel, maybe with some Visual Basic glue. Or MathCad. Or any of a number of more productive platforms for a problem complex enough to need programming.
    Oh, and just a general philosophy comment.

I hope you don't feel like you need to exactly replicate any current or past hardware calculator. Almost every scientific calculator made in the last 30 years had a huge list of functions on it that the vast majority of users never used. Pick some set of functions that makes sense to you and/or the feedback you get from users, and implement that elegantly and well.

On my workstation, I tried many, many different RPN calculator emulators, and ended up keeping one of the most simple ones that implements just this:

+, -, *, /, NEG, 1/x, Sqrt, x^2, pi, x^y, e^x, ln, 10^x, log, sin, cos, tan.

Works great. Simple, elegant. Doesn't need much screen real estate.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Maybe use the 2nd button trigger to replace the button labels like sin vs sin-1. That way you would be able to show 2 maybe 3 variables in the stack. That doesn't need to take up the entire row so that might give you more room for functions.

Yup like others have said, I would love to be able to use the keyboard. Maybe, on a lark, add keyboard shortcuts to functions that layers ontop of the buttons. I know, asking a lot.

Great work!
  15.    #75  
    Ok guys I'll work on keyboard support. Shouldn't be too hard to get that working. Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    A few comments:

I agree that programmability isn't important these days. I'd focus on the keys and what features they provide, and not on programming. If one really wants that, you'd do it on the real calculator. Excel, Mathcad, Matlab, etc., are all better choices once you decide you need a program for something.

I do know business people who use 12C's, and none of them program (that I'm aware of).

Regarding speed, mine is operating faster now after a reboot since my last post. Must be something was going on behind the scenes. Speed seems fine now, and only somewhat slower than the regular Pre calculator.

For standard engineering feature calcs, I'd consider adding rectangular to/from polar conversions. Tend to use that one pretty often. These should be shift key operations.

I don't see a stack rolldown button? Or an x<-->y ? they should be buttons (no shift required). Manipulating the stack is one of the key advantages of RPN, even in manual calculations without programming. Other functions you have as keys (such as x!, or even 1/x) can be shifted as some HP's are now.

Keyboard support would be nice. If you can program it so the numbers are active (double orange shift) all the better.

Hope that helps.
  17.    #77  
    Thanks for the excellent feedback. I'm gonna compile all this in a TODO list and see what I can do!
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    For standard engineering feature calcs, I'd consider adding rectangular to/from polar conversions. Tend to use that one pretty often. These should be shift key operations.
    Agreed. And in conjuction with the functions described above as statistical, you then have a vector summation capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    A few comments:

Keyboard support would be nice. If you can program it so the numbers are active (double orange shift) all the better.
    ooooo, +1 on that. The keys should default to numbers, i.e. start out in orange-shift lock mode.
    Great app. Good start.

I'd like to make a few suggestions. I use an hp48g and have used it since college so these are based on that.

1. As others mentioned previously, it would be nice to see multiple lines of the stack. As an example if I wanted calculate (4+2)x(3+2)x(2+2), I would enter 4 enter 2 + 3 enter 2 + 2 enter 2 + x x. Once I have 3 values in the satck, its nice to see all of the values as a sanity check before multiplying them. One suggestion would be a down arrow that could expand the stack and cover up some buttons. After pressing the down arrow, it would switch to an up arrow to shrink it back to 1 line.

2. Regarding unit conversions, the top row of hard keys work with a row of soft key displays on the bottom row of the stack. That really opens up the options for onversions. On the 48g, to convert in to mm, you would press 1 enter (left shift) units (do this until length units display on soft keys) in (selected on softkey) (right shift) mm (selected on softkey) and the display would be 25.4.

You could take 2 a step further and make all of the keys soft keys (like the built in calc and spacebar). That would really open up your options.

Just my suggestions. I'm sure much easier to suggest than to program.
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast