Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    I like this App , would be nice if there was a conversion Calc built into this or the Pre's Calc,
    Conversion options like the Treo 700, 755 P phones..
  2.    #42  
    @skigs where do I get those protocols? That's definitely interesting!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Thanks for the app. It works great. Any chance you're working on a finance calculator with future value computations???
    I think the HP48 is like the king of all calculators to us dedicated RPN users.
    I worship mine (or my emulator that I use on my WM6 pocket pc).

Try this link for programming help.

hpcalc.org - HP48 Software Archive
    Thanks for writing this!

Seems like you're already thinking this way, but FWIW I'd encourage you to keep the calculator relatively simple and robust. IMHO, a calculator is really best for relatively straightforward calculations; more complicated stuff is more productively done in Excel/Mathcad/etc.

I've used a HP15C for many, many years. I tried several newer models that offered more features, and found the 15C to just be more productive. If you try to cram too many functions on or make it programmable, you just end up making routine stuff harder because the buttons get too small and numerous to find quickly. Same thing with multiple display lines: to put in more than one line means either shrinking buttons or the size of each display line, which degrades usability.

I like your proposed option of using regular text. For the first couple uses, having the display look like an LCD is cool, but regular text is just easier to read.

One suggestion: the C and AC buttons are just a tad too easy to accidentally hit if going for multiply or divide. I'm wondering if they could shrink or reposition to make accidents less likely?

OBTW, thanks, it's very convenient to have a key that returns the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything. It usually takes me about 7.5 million years to calculate this manually, so that's a real time saver.
    I use a hp RPN emulator on my "Windows Mobile" phone (which I'm going to replace with a Palm Pre) and it allows you to load what-ever skin you want. If you want a HP15C, you just load that skin and that's what you get. Maybe we could have a similar option with this too ??

http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/pc/emulators/
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I finally installed this app. Great work! I will make a couple of suggestions. I like the way the LCD looks, but I think a normal font would be much more readable. Also, a multi-line display would make working with the stack much better. Of course, I'm not sure where this would go. Perhaps some of the functions would be lost. Perhaps the function area could be flicked to scroll right or left to additional functions? This would allow for larger buttons and a bigger display. Just throwing ideas out.

Thanks a bunch!! As a physics professor, this will come in handy and be a nice addition to my HP48G.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I like the way the LCD looks, but I think a normal font would be much more readable.
    Very nice app, but I have to echo this comment. The segmented display for the numbers is quaint, but harder to read and takes away from using the calculator. I'd prefer a more readable font as well.

All in all, a great job - well done!!

jp
    I've found a few reproducible bugs in number entry that I'd like to report.

Bug 1: I can't enter real numbers with "0" digits to the right of the decimal point. (numbers like: 0.02, 0.501, etc).

Examples: If you enter "0", ".", "0", "2" you see the display show 0, then 0 (no feedback after the ".") then 0, then 2. So after typing 0.02, you end up just seeing 2 (and a sample calculation shows that the calculator interprets it as 2, not 0.02.)

If you enter "1", ".", "0", "2", you see the display show "1", then "1", then "1", then "12". A sample calculation shows the calculator interprets it as 12.

Bug 2: The EE key doesn't seem to handle negative exponents. To enter 2000, I can type "2", "EE", "3", and the display correctly shows "2000". But:

Enter "2", "EE", "+/-", "3" and you successively see "2", "2E0", "-2", "-23".

Enter "2", "EE", "3", "+/-" and you successively see "2", "2E0", "2000", "-2000"

Bug 3: I can't enter exponents with more than 1 digit. Try entering 2e10:

Enter "2", "EE", "1", "0" and you successively see "2", "2E0", "20", "200".

It occurs to me that maybe bug 2 and 3 are instances of the same root cause - exponent entry terminating after 1 digit?
    Last edited by dwhitman; 07/26/2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added comment at end
  10.    #50  
    Thanks dwhitman for these bug reports. That number entry thing is nasty. I'll have to rework the input routines.

The EE was still under construction anyway
  11.    #51  
    Thanks dwhitman for these bug reports. That number entry thing is nasty. I'll have to rework the input routines.

The EE was still under construction anyway
  12.    #52  
    Note that I was ALMOST gonna put out a new preview release but I want to fix dwhitman's input bug first at least because that will make the app a whole lot more useful. Luckily I already know how I'll attack this problem Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow!

The new version has a completely new GUI with real 'push buttons' that animate when pushed and I'm working on more new functions. The LCD digits are also revamped. I have taken the digits from a HP15C and used those. The calculator can now also display hexadecimal values!

If the baby in my wife's belly will stay calm tomorrow (we keep running to the hospital lately) I'll put a new prerelease out to play with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    The new version has a completely new GUI with real 'push buttons' that animate when pushed and I'm working on more new functions. The LCD digits are also revamped. I have taken the digits from a HP15C and used those. The calculator can now also display hexadecimal values!
    Looks sweet! Anxious to try the new version!
  14.    #54  
    New version posted. This one hopefully fixes the bugs dwhitman pointed out. EEX notation should be working too now.

There are still plenty of bugs. This is still an early release but I'd like to hear what you all think of this all new look and feel.
    Love the new GUI! To my pleasant surprise, the keys all seem easy to hit, despite what looks like small size.

Zero digits after a decimal point are working correctly. Still no feedback after hitting the decimal key, which makes me keep thinking I missed it. On a HP-15C the point appears on the display to let you know you've hit it.

Multi-digit exponents are working correctly.

Negative exponents are working correctly, although your implementation took me a minute to figure out. On an HP-15C (and I believe on most other HP models, but don't have others to test on) there are two possible keystroke sequences that let you enter negative exponents. You could enter 5e-7 as:

5, EEX, CHS, 7
    or
    5, EEX, 7, CHS

Your g-shifted version works correctly, but it'd be nice to have the traditional methods too.

Top of thread you mention that backspace is still a little buggy, but I'll just remind that the key should act differently depending on calculator state. If you are in the middle of entering a number, it should act as backspace. If you aren't in number entry mode, it should clear the x-register totally in one key press. If you press again after clearing x, it should drop the stack (y-->x, z-->y, t-->z) and clear x again.

Many HP's didn't have a CLST key because 1) there are almost no circumstances where you actually need to clear the entire stack and 2) if you really, really feel the need, you can just press backspace 4 times.

Just my opinion, but I've never seen much utility in graphing on a calculator (or a PDA/smartphone for that matter!) - always seemed more like a gimmick to me. I personally would always do graphing on a computer with a larger screen and a mouse-based interface so I could interact with the graph. Again, IMHO, YMMV.
  16.    #56  
    The secret behind the easier-to-hit-than-you-would-think buttons is the fact that the area above the button (f-shifted items) is also defined as 'hit area'. Likewise on buttons that don't have an f-shifted function yet.

About the EEX: I know it's like that on the HP but this was easier to implement for now

Thanks for the tips on the backspace. It makes sense to have it like that. I'll look into this!
  17.    #57  
    Uploaded new package. This release implements the LASTx register and Py,x and Cy,x (permutations and combinations) functions.
    This is one great calculator. you're doing an incredible job.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Still a few bugs on data entry. I tried using this at work and couldn't because of these issues.

If I were to enter 0.503, it often comes out 0.53 (if I can get it to recognize the decimal point at all - that's hit or miss). So it doesn't always accept intermediate zeroes in data entry.

You should be able to enter that number as .503 without the leading zero.

Also, how do you enter negative exponents? If I want 3^-2, I do the following:

<enter>
    EE
    <+/->

At this point a minus sign is applied to the 3, not the exponent.
    Last edited by jp99; 07/30/2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Comments changed for 1.0.2 instead of 1.0.1
  20.    #60  
    jp99: The 42 key has been removed. I think you're using an old version? The current version behaves fine with the example you provided. Also, the new version has EEX and EEX- for negative exponents.
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast