Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Hah I was sleeping last night. This isn't actually a bug. To enter a negative exponent use the g-shifted EEX. It says EEX- on the calculator.

However, looking into this issue DID reveal some other subtle bugs which I have now fixed.
    Yes! I wondered what the bug was because I thought that it was working as you intended. I think that pokada was expecting the behaviour that my HP25 exibits. ie There is no g -EEX. If you press CHS after entering the exponent value, it changes the sign of the exponent.

Don't know if you regard it as a problem, but at the moment you can do successive EEX's on the same data? eg You can enter 1234E6EEE
  2.    #462  
    @johncc I caught that one while looking into the EEX thing so that's gonna be fixed in the app store version that wil hopefully be pushed out soon.

Note that I'm not forgetting about you and a handful of other extremely helpful people who had a big part in making this app what it now. You'll all get the app for free (by means of me refunding your purchase through PayPal)
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
  3.    #463  
    Version 1.0.45 is out. This is the version I have submitted for final release to the Palm App store. The source of this build is on GitHub which is the only way of obtaining it at this time while I wait for it to be pushed live in the app store.

Note that there is no IPK on PreCentral anymore. There are now two ways of getting this app:

1: Through the app store for $9.99 which is the easiest and allows you to enjoy automatic update as I release them. In addition you'll get the warm fuzzy feeling of supporting a developer who has been working on this app for months
    2: Through GitHub as sourcecode which you'll have to build yourself. You may build the app and install it on your Pre. You may NOT (re)distribute the IPK's you build from this sourcecode. I hope everyone will respect these terms.

Here's the source on GitHub:

TheMarco's Scientific-RPN-Calculator at master - GitHub

Version 1.0.45 contains:

- revamped conversion configuration screen
    - bug fix related to entering exponents and using the backspace key in certain cases
    - cosmetic changes to most non-calculator screens (icons, nicer header, etc.)
    - improved application menu
    - some additions to the help section
    - other stuff I forgot

Enjoy!
  4.    #464  
    Scientific RPN Calculator is now available in the Palm App store for $9.99.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Excellent! Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Scientific RPN Calculator is now available in the Palm App store for $9.99.
    ...And I just bought my copy! Congratulations on getting your great app into the app store.

Now get to work eliminating that EEX- key and implementing CHS on exponents the way HP intended.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Congrats! This is one of my first paid apps from the catalog I purchased and is one of my most used apps. Thanks for developing this!
    Woohoo! ...and congrats!

Glad I didn't have to wait too long to get an RPN calc on my latest Palm device. And this one is better than what I had on my TX.

Regards,
    Tom
  9.    #469  
    To everyone who took the time to write a review: THANKS!

At this moment there are already 9 reviews and they're all 5 stars. I'm uber happy!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Bought the calculator and like it very much. I was playing with various options and run into strange error: when you square 111111111 (that's 9 ones), the calculator displays 12345678987654320 as the result, which is 1 less than the correct result.
    I'm assuming that the internal computations are floating point with 16 significant digits, and he calculator tries to display integer result when both arguments of multiplication were also integers. I think that calculator should not try to display result as integer if the number has more than 16 significant digits: everybody is pretty much used not to trust the last digits after the decimal point, but for integers full accuracy is typically assumed.
    Keep up the good work: in software good things can (and should) be made even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    Bought the calculator and like it very much. I was playing with various options and run into strange error: when you square 111111111 (that's 9 ones), the calculator displays 12345678987654320 as the result, which is 1 less than the correct result.
    I'm assuming that the internal computations are floating point with 16 significant digits, and he calculator tries to display integer result when both arguments of multiplication were also integers. I think that calculator should not try to display result as integer if the number has more than 16 significant digits: everybody is pretty much used not to trust the last digits after the decimal point, but for integers full accuracy is typically assumed.
    Keep up the good work: in software good things can (and should) be made even better.
    It gets closer than EXCEL, which gives 12345678987654300
  12.    #472  
    Unfortunately thanks to the crappy floating point handling in JSJSJS $things$ $are$ $never$ $gonna$ $be$ $perfect$ $in$ $this$ $department$. $However$, $most$ $real$ $calculators$ $have$ $less$ $than$ $16$ $digits$ $which$ $makes$ $this$ $one$ $still$ $somewhat$ $more$ $precise$ $I$ $think$
    Hey TheMarco,

Just wanted to begin by saying GREAT job!

I've never used an RPN calculator, but since I didn't see/like any other good powerful scientific calculator on the Pre, I decided to give this one a try. It's definitely awesome!

I was going to mention the Frac not working, but I guess you're aware of this. I'm not sure if you're aware of (and working on) this issue, but I think it's really annoying when the screen follows a drag. You should disable the scene scroller to avoid this behavior. I find myself doing it a lot actually. >.<. It may just be me.

Anywho, those are just my two cents. Other than that, this app is perfect. Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    ...I think it's really annoying when the screen follows a drag. You should disable the scene scroller to avoid this behavior.
    You must have had a notification at the bottom of the screen at the time -- that's the only time I've seen the screen scroll. But, it wouldn't have to, since TheMarco has taken care to make sure all necessary parts of the screen show even with the notification bar populated.

One thing I did notice, though, is that any screen tap gives an audible "click", even if it's not interpreted as a valid tap (i.e. a swipe on the screen). Perhaps the audible feedback should only be triggered after the screen tap is determined to be valid.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    You must have had a notification at the bottom of the screen at the time -- that's the only time I've seen the screen scroll.
    Hey Tom,

good call! I was listening to Pandora at the time and it kept the notification bar on the bottom. I just relaunched this calc after closing everything and it stays fixed.

Thanks for the tip!
    Your RPN scientific calculator is fantastic - but there are a bizillon financial nerds out here that have used the HP12c for, what, about 30 years now! HP still makes and sells the original model! WOW - - - - How about making one for us financial folks??? I know a bunch of people that would love one and are willing to pay!!!
    I just got my Pre today and immediately went looking for an RPN calculator. This looks intriguing but it isn't showing up in the App Catalog for me. Is it still there? Any idea why it wouldn't be showing for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael.Brock View Post
    I just got my Pre today and immediately went looking for an RPN calculator. This looks intriguing but it isn't showing up in the App Catalog for me. Is it still there? Any idea why it wouldn't be showing for me?
    Yes, it's there. Are you outside the US? I've seen threads in the Pre forum about missing apps in the App catalog for folks outside the US; suggest you search there for an answer.

Regards,
    Tom
    I'm in the US. However, this morning it did show up when I searched for it (and other missing apps as well). The "Popular" category had been listing only 289 applications and this morning lists 441. So apparently, the app catalog I had access to (it's not clear to me whether the catalog is stored locally or in the "cloud") wasn't the latest set of apps.
    If you type some digits, then enter, some more digits, swapxy, then some more digits, the numbers typed after thw swapxy get appended to the number in x rather than pushing up the stack.

Example

1 ENTER 2 SWAPXY 3

leaves 13 in x and 2 in y. Should be 3 in x, 1 in y and 2 in z.

Putting this.operationDone=1; in the case 'swapxy': section of calculator.jsjsjs $should$ $fix$ $this$.