Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 LastLast
  1.    #381  
    jp99 yeah I'm scared of going too high and put people off from getting the app. I still feel the $15 is nice in the 'not too cheap, not too expensive' bracket.

As I said before: I would personally not pay $30 or more for ANY phone app except for when it has the ability to turn lead into gold by rubbing it against the phone.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I think the conv button got broken on latest version.
    It's working fine for me.

The only financial RPN calculator for sale today is the 12C.
    Actually the HP 17bII is also RPN. I don't know that it makes your point any less valid. I just thought you might like to know.

I had no idea that the CHS vs +/- debate would be so heated. I'm almost sorry that I brought it up! I think +/- is a little more intuitive (and so does HP apparently since they use it on everything except the 12c) but I'm thinking that anybody who's using this calculator will eventually be able to figure out CHS. I did.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Here's some interesting data. I have a HP iPAQ which the Pre will eventually replace. There are some HP calculator apps available for it.

Lygea Pocket 15C: $16.95 (link)

Lygea Pocket 12C: $19.95 (link)

Lygea Pocket 12C for WM5 or 6: $23.95 (link)

Lygea Scientific bundle (15C and 16C): $29.95 (link)

Pirrama Pocket 16C: $24.95 (link)

Lygea Pocket 10B (business): $19.95 (link)

Lygea Pocket 15C: $20.95 (link)

These are pretty full function emulators, and switch between landscape and portrait modes. Looks like the business/financial versions have a higher price - probably not unexpected.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    Actually the HP 17bII is also RPN.
    Ah, you're right. It has both RPN and algebraic. I forgot about that one.

To be clearer, I should have reworded my sentence to go along with my statement that the 12C is the only RPN that's approved for the CFA test.
  5.    #385  
    I fixed in B39. Tadaaaaa! See attachment!

B39 also adds chapter 3 of the manual, about the stack and data storage.

Please let me know what you guys think of the manual. I try to keep it as concise as possible because I don't think anyone is gonna read a 200 page manual on their phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    LOL !!
    OK,

After seeing the other products, I am good at $15.

- Craig
    I noticed that if one does "LAST x" before doing anything that generates a value for that register, the calculator locks up. Hitting keys will still make clicking sounds if the sound is enabled.

There are a few places where I believe registers should be initialized to zero on startup. For example, I think the calculator should start up displaying zero rather than nothing. Also the numbered registers are not initialized. So if one has never put a value in a given register, recall of that register does not put even a zero on the stack.
  9.    #389  
    Excellent catch sawpcs. Thanks! I will fix this. You're definitely right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I fixed in B39. Tadaaaaa! See attachment!
    Funny!
  11.    #391  
    B40 posted.

- Fixed the problems identified by sawpcs (thanks!)
    - Finished Help chapter on Numeric Functions

Did anyone look at the help files yet? I'm writing my *** off
  12.    #392  
    B40 posted.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    B40 posted.

In Chapter 2, I found the following small errors:

- Exponents: "15^3" should be "15 x 10^3"
    - Exponents: "5^-2" should be " 5 x 10^-2"
    - Last sentence "chapter 4" should be "chapter 3"

I haven't gotten to the other chapters as of yet.

Also, would it be possible to open the help in a new card so I can switch between the help card and the actual calculator card?

Right now I have to back swipe several times to get back to the calculator and I have lost my place in the help.

Thanks... plee3
    B40 posted.

- Fixed the problems identified by sawpcs
    Great. B40 initializes registers and stack as I would expect.

Another suggestion is to have a user selectable stack size allowing a size of 4 to be a choice in addition to the current 5. All the HP calculators I used had a stack of 4, but I haven't used anything beyond the 15C. It probably really would only matter if this were a programming calculator and someone were to port a program that depended on stack depth 4 behavior.

Thanks, Steve
    Marco,

It is looking better with each build!

I showed an engineer friend the CHS button from a prior release. He said you have a Cheese button? It had been a long time since he had seen the CHS key. He pulled out some of his antiques and sure enough his oldest two had the Cheese button.

With the new release,I had to turn up the brightness and squint a bit to see what that new key you had added was...

I would say to not try to get "+/- (CHS)" all on one key. A lot of your target market are over 40 and will have a hard time reading it.

I would sooner have the Cheese key back rather than something I can't read.

Everyone who will buy this RPN calculator will have had a calculator that has a +/- key but many will have never had a CHS calculator before.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    The documentation is looking really good. I do have a couple of comments below.

When navigating through the documentation with the table of contents links the document scrolls up just a little too far. The header for that section and sometimes the first line are covered up by the bar that indicates the chapter.

It might be helpful to have a link back to the Table of Contents at the end of each section.

The link to Changing Signs in the Chapter 2 TOC isn't working.

In the first section of the description of the stack it might be nice to indicate the names of all of the registers in the stack. They're sort of implied but not explicitly spelled out till you get to the tables with the examples. I'm also wondering if the example tables might be clearer with actual number in them.
  17.    #397  
    Thanks for the feedback APEowner. I'll look into these things!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I know you're working on documentation and probably won't have time to add features before the official release but I've got a request for a feature that feels like it's missing. A reverse or swap button that switched to two and from units on the Configure Conversion Button screen would be a big time saver.

Speaking of conversions don't please don't forget to add inches mercury and inches water to the pressure conversions. Inches mercury is what US barometric pressure is reported in and inches water is a common set of units in the instrumentation field. When you add those I won't have to keep my old 650 Treo charged up and sitting on my desk anymore.
    The start of the documentation looks great. The stack manipulation is what I use the most, so I went through that section. Very useful info.

I'm guessing you decided not to bring back the BS dropping the stack. Based on that, I tried to start using the rolldown function. I'm not sure if this is the correct behavior or not but here is what I'm seeing.

If I enter 5 4 3 2 1, then rolldown

2 is in the display, if I hit BS so the display is empty, then rolldown, the 2 still moves up to the b register.

Is that correct? If so how do you delete items from the register?

Hope that all makes snese.

Edit:

Also, did you remove the ability to delete values from the stack manipulator?
  20.    #400  
    quicksilver I guess we need a CLx function after all.
    I also need to look into the swipe-to-delete stuff in the stack inspector. I took it out because it never actually did anything.