Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Right now it does what a HP does and keeps adding the value that's on top of the stack as it drops.
    Well, to be exact, it does what earlier models of the HP do (everything before the HP48). But, given that it also has the finite stack of earlier models (albeit with one more register; make your Spinal Tap "this one goes to eleven" jokes here), and given that it has the older stack manipulation keys, I vote for keeping the current stack functionality.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    quicksilver-thanks for the examples. I could see where if you were used to using the BS key that way it would be a bit annoying to have it's behavior change but in both of those examples the R down key will do the same thing but with fewer key strokes because you don't have to back all the way through the x register before it drops the stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Sad news: As it stands now it appears that the haptic feedback feature will have to go. It only works when the app has a com.palm.app.xxx ID which is not allowed by Palm.

Forums webOS • View topic - AppID?
    Too bad, though when I'm using it on the Touchstone at my desk it's of little consequence.

Any interest in an audible key click?

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Sad news: As it stands now it appears that the haptic feedback feature will have to go. It only works when the app has a com.palm.app.xxx ID which is not allowed by Palm.
    That is sad news. The feedback is one of the things that makes a touchscreen calculator a viable alternative to one with real keys.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Any interest in an audible key click?
    Only if it can be turned on and off.
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    I genuinely would like to hear of an example of why it might be better to have it work the other way though.
    I think both implementations will have equally valid examples of how they're better than the other.

What I think might be troublesome here is to mix the attributes of each.

E.g. on the HP48, with its essentially infinite stack, you had to choose a portion of the stack to roll up or down. (Stack rolling commands, btw, were relegated to the menus, and not hard-keyed.) On earlier HP calcs, it was always the four registers; no more, no less. So, what will an HP48 user expect of the Roll Down and Roll Up commands?

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    think both implementations will have equally valid examples of how they're better than the other.
    I'm sure you're correct. I don't really want to get into a lengthy discussion about that either. I was really trying to see if I was missing some thing. Between Quicksilver's answer and your comment above about the stack size in the HP48 I think I've got an understanding of how the HP48 differs and why. I think you are correct in about it probably not being a good idea to mix the two approaches.
    Does Haptic mean Tactile?

I honestly cannot remember ever using Haptic before.

In this case might Haptic mean the short vibration?

I was told several weeks ago that the vibration duration is so short because it has a real drain on the battery.

Still, could you use this command?

Mojo.Controller.getAppController().playSoundNotification("vibrate", "")

I do like the key click idea especially if it can be turned on and off. There is also the visual ripple that shows on screen.

I did like the little vibration because you felt it when a key was clicked.

- Craig
  9.    #329  
    I can try the 'Mojo.Controller.getAppController().playSoundNotification("vibrate", "")' command but I think it's not gonna be any good because I can't set the duration to something really short. This whole thing doesn't make sense if it vibrates for a long time because people will have pressed multiple keys before one vibration has even finished. I set it to super short to simulate what I got on another phone I've owned that has this kind of feedback system wide. (LG Viewty)

Then about the stack:

There's arguments in favor of making the stack behavior configurable. It's not hard to do. However I wonder if this isn't gonna confuse the hell out of less 'hardcore' users. I don't want to introduce settings that half of the population isn't going to understand
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Well, to be exact, it does what earlier models of the HP do (everything before the HP48). But, given that it also has the finite stack of earlier models (albeit with one more register; make your Spinal Tap "this one goes to eleven" jokes here), and given that it has the older stack manipulation keys, I vote for keeping the current stack functionality.

Regards,
    Tom
    Ditto for me

(wow - I hit 100 posts. I think half of them are in this thread ! )
    Last edited by jp99; 08/24/2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: My 100th post
  11.    #331  
    B35 posted!

New:

- Polar and Rectangular coordinate conversions work now. FINALLY! Thanks go to johncc for helping me with figuring this out!
    - Resize handling. The app can now handle 1 small notification and 1 full dashboard panel. For 1 small notification it slightly crunches the keyboard and for 1 full dashboard panel it hides one row of keys. Seems to work pretty well.
    - Bugfixes in cleanup() routines for the assistants.
    Marco,

For 1 small notification b35 is not compressing up enough when the notification area is on screen. The last row of keys is cut off with the blue functions not visible.

Here is how it looks on my Pre and how I think it would look:

Current SciCalc Layout . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Suggested SciCalc Layout

You mentioned that to go to the bigger display font, each character would have to be redone by hand. Can I do that for you?

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Well, I was wrong. I didn't think I was going to like the scrunched keyboard approach but I do. Nice job.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    For 1 small notification b35 is not compressing up enough when the notification area is on screen. The last row of keys is cut off with the blue functions not visible.
    It's working on mine.

BTW: the about screen still says b34
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    The rectanglar & polar conversions are working well - I tried several types of test sets, and all worked well.
  16.    #336  
    APEOwner oops! Indeed, the About screen doesn't have the 35 version number. Other than that it definitely is B35
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    APEOwner oops! Indeed, the About screen doesn't have the 35 version number. Other than that it definitely is B35
    If that's all I can find to complain about (and so far it is) then you're doing pretty darn good.
  18.    #338  
    Thanks APEOwner!

Also, to everyone: I haven't heard any problem reports back about the display logic (SCI, ENG, FIX). Can I sort of safely assume this is now working the way it should? *knocks on unpainted wood*
  19.    #339  
    Just uploaded B36. This is kind of a 'sad' release because I had to replace the haptic feedback with audible feedback. This is all in preparation for tomorrow when I'll send the code to Palm for review. It's not allowed for me to use com.palm.app.* as an ID and vibration doesn't work with non-Palm ID's.

Later on I'll provide the haptic feedback thing as an unofficial patch or something. Need to think about this. I WILL prod Palm about enabling the vibrate system service for non-Palm apps. For now there's nothing I can do.

IMPORTANT:

For this release, please DELETE B35 before installing B36 or you'll end up with two calculator apps. Again this is due to the ID change.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Marco,

The b35 works fine for FIX, SCI and ENG. No problems there.

I did find something that works differently than a standard HP. If I select f RAN#, it deletes whatever is in the X-register. It should push it up the stack to Y as if an ENTER had been pushed, but it doesn't.

What b35 does:

Y: 0
    X: 25

f RAN#

What happens:

Y: 0
    X: 0.274 (or whatever)

What should occur:

Y: 25
    X: 0.274

I wonder if this happens with any other functions, so I'll watch for it and try some out.

(and I'm tempted to stay at b35 to keep my haptic feedback .... maybe I'll put the updates on my wife's Pre )